General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Workouts 70.3 prep Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-25 11:09 AM

Subject: Swimming Workouts 70.3 prep
I am planning to do a 70.3 in my hometown in July which is about 24 weeks away. I have used TR since May 2016 and plan to start up the high volume 1/2 iron plan which means there are 4 rides a week and the base, build and specialty would put me very close to race day. For running I will continue to run 2-3 times a week based on a program I have used before.

My question is around the swim. I need some help with a plan where I can swim 3 days a week and work myself up to the 1.2 mile distance. Anyone have any recommendations or workouts that you have used in the past?

Thanks in advance for the help
Eric

2017-01-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming Workouts 70.3 prep
Originally posted by Ericallenboyd

I am planning to do a 70.3 in my hometown in July which is about 24 weeks away. I have used TR since May 2016 and plan to start up the high volume 1/2 iron plan which means there are 4 rides a week and the base, build and specialty would put me very close to race day. For running I will continue to run 2-3 times a week based on a program I have used before.

My question is around the swim. I need some help with a plan where I can swim 3 days a week and work myself up to the 1.2 mile distance. Anyone have any recommendations or workouts that you have used in the past?

Eric

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/889449.Workouts_in_a_Binder

Has plans for sprint to IM
2017-01-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: marcag

Thank you I will check it out.
2017-01-25 2:19 PM

TR plans also include swim/run workouts. Just look at those although I think the high volume plan will likely have 4x week swimming.
2017-01-25 3:03 PM
in reply to: fairdestroyer

Thanks. I actually got an email back from the masters coach that I can in so I will be swimming 3 times a week for $60 a month. on top of that I will get some instruction which will help.
2017-01-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Ericallenboyd I am planning to do a 70.3 in my hometown in July which is about 24 weeks away. I have used TR since May 2016 and plan to start up the high volume 1/2 iron plan which means there are 4 rides a week and the base, build and specialty would put me very close to race day. For running I will continue to run 2-3 times a week based on a program I have used before. My question is around the swim. I need some help with a plan where I can swim 3 days a week and work myself up to the 1.2 mile distance. Anyone have any recommendations or workouts that you have used in the past? Thanks in advance for the help Eric
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/889449.Workouts_in_a_BinderHas plans for sprint to IM

Just broke this book out from the shelf today, oddly enough, as I'm heading back to the pool after a loooooong layoff.  Used it for a couple past training cycles and found it very helpful, so x2 on the reco.

Even if doing masters, it has some nice structures that you can work into non-coached workouts (or at least that helped me - an "adult onset" swimmer - figure out better workouts than "long day" or "short, hard day").

Matt

2017-01-25 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Before I started working with coach I used the swim workouts archived on Sara McLarty's masters swim site. (Google it.) There are years worth of them. If you follow them weekly as written they are a good mix of technique, endurance, and speed focus, oriented toward triathletes. I generally did the B workouts. If not a strong swimmer, I would start with the C workouts and work up to the B for HIM. (A, which runs 4000-5000m, is for ex-collegiate swimmers, hard core IM types, and other fish. Probably overkill for HIM unless you are a pro.)
2017-01-25 6:51 PM
in reply to: #5211360

Thanks for the advice. I am going to give the masters a shot for at least 3-6 months to help with technique, drills, etc and then hopefully I can feel like I have a good base to venture off on my own if I get there.
2017-01-26 6:32 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Ericallenboyd I am planning to do a 70.3 in my hometown in July which is about 24 weeks away. I have used TR since May 2016 and plan to start up the high volume 1/2 iron plan which means there are 4 rides a week and the base, build and specialty would put me very close to race day. For running I will continue to run 2-3 times a week based on a program I have used before. My question is around the swim. I need some help with a plan where I can swim 3 days a week and work myself up to the 1.2 mile distance. Anyone have any recommendations or workouts that you have used in the past? Thanks in advance for the help Eric
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/889449.Workouts_in_a_BinderHas plans for sprint to IM

Just broke this book out from the shelf today, oddly enough, as I'm heading back to the pool after a loooooong layoff.  Used it for a couple past training cycles and found it very helpful, so x2 on the reco.

Even if doing masters, it has some nice structures that you can work into non-coached workouts (or at least that helped me - an "adult onset" swimmer - figure out better workouts than "long day" or "short, hard day").

Matt

I'll third the suggestion for the Workouts in a Binder books.  I have several of them, and still occasionally reference them for ideas for my athletes.  They're good books.

On a side note, the running one by Bobby McGee is excellent too.

2017-01-26 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Definitely, having a live coach to give you feedback and people to train with is almost always better than workouts you find online; websites and the binder workouts (I've seen them but never got around to buying the book before I ended up getting a coach) are good backups if schedule issues or travel keep you away from master's swimming for a few workouts or a few weeks.
2017-01-28 11:30 AM

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by Ericallenboyd

Eric

To put my 2 cents in may I suggest you don't worry about the distance at all? Focus on improving your swim form, pull down with your back, keep your head down, elbows high and have a steady kick. Every session in the pool should be focussed on bettering your freestyle stroke. A better smoother swim form will always get you across the line faster and fresher than simply just doing countless laps. Also work on at least back and breast strokes as well to not only mix it up but to help prevent overuse injury and to be a better swimmer. I focussed so much on drills last year that even with my limited time doing OWS I absolutely excelled during the first part of my race

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Workouts 70.3 prep Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMFL pre race prep with Augusta 70.3 question

Started by kenny.bunch
Views: 1471 Posts: 8

2012-11-29 10:20 AM bgraboski

Thoughts on run workouts before swimming workouts

Started by tmoran80
Views: 7069 Posts: 10

2012-04-11 9:04 AM tmoran80

Swim travel/prep time vs actual pool time Pages: 1 2

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2814 Posts: 32

2011-03-13 10:46 PM trigal38

Longest Swim in Prep For IM

Started by CKinsey
Views: 2117 Posts: 23

2008-02-29 4:19 PM WaterDog66

key 5k-prep workouts

Started by tomp
Views: 836 Posts: 7

2007-11-12 2:08 PM tomp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
You're Ready...Is Your Bike? Common problems that ruin race day:

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.