Other Resources My Cup of Joe » GAH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-26 9:39 AM

User image

Subject: GAH!
Woke up this morning, hit the gym. 30 min spin and 30 min treadmill run. Felt great. Go to the grocery store next door to pick up some coffee creamer and bananas for my workplace(I'm the only one who brings healthy snacks). Swipe my card, INVAILD CARD. Never seen that one before. Try credit and debit, no dice. Went to a gas station. Same deal. Call my bank to see what's up. "Oh yeah, we shut your card off." *silence* "Well would you please tell me why?" "Oh well there was a $540 charge from a Florida Walmart that came through and you used it the same day in Decorah(Iowa, where I live) so we thought one of them might be fraudulent." "Oh, well when was this?" "The charges were from Sunday" "You didn't think to let me know before I tried to use it?" "Sorry, but we'll have to issue you another card, you can expect it in 5-10 days."

*sigh* this has not been a good start to a day.

2017-01-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: GAH!

Oh, that is not a good start to your day, and embarrassing to boot!  Ugh, credit card fraud, it sucks.  

I've set up text alerts on all the cards I have that allow it.  Any time the card is used I get a text.  It's saved my bacon once when someone got a hold of my credit union card number.  There was a little 'feeler' charge put on it for less than $2...in many instances the bad guys try a small transaction somewhere and if it goes through unnoticed they will then go nuts with it.  I got the text for the little charge from a site/company I've never even heard of and knowing I hadn't used that card in about 2 weeks it was very easy to realize what was going on. I immediately called and had the card shut down and the charge disputed/removed.

I know my little tale doesn't help your situation, but I'd recommend putting alerts on any accounts you can.  Good luck!

2017-01-26 12:27 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Thanks! I wish I could on this bank. It's so tiny. But it's who I've had since I had my first savings account as a child. But, I was already in transition to a better institution. So, that'll end thankfully.
2017-01-26 10:32 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If the charge was fraudulent, I'd be thankful the bank shut down your card. Would have been nice to inform you, though! I also had a card apparently hacked last fall by someone who was posting charges from Florida (where I haven't gone for 30+ years) while I was overseas in Australia and Vietnam. The bank never informed me, despite charges made (in one case) by me the same day in Australia! Only noticed because I went to check my balance before entering some races and making travel arrangements; they'd been going on for about ten days. I was lucky as they were fairly small charges for food and gas that totaled (I think) about $200.

When I contacted my bank (which is an epic, expensive undertaking from here--800 numbers and collect calls don't work, and one can spend over an hour on hold!), I recall the service guy saying that a couple other people who'd had recent card purchases or entries with IM Corp. (which I think charges through a Florida address) had reported issues, and that maybe the IM site had been hacked (though I never heard that from IM Corp. themselves--could just be coincidence).

Anyway, I was able to set up something where I get an instant e-mail alert if a transaction is made online or without the card physically present. I think most major banks offer this service. It might not prevent fraud but at least you would know right away if you had not made those purchases, and be able to shut down the card quickly.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » GAH! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

GAH! Giant Squirrel! Pages: 1 2

Started by crowny2
Views: 2811 Posts: 37

2009-08-18 9:34 PM Pector55

Gah!!! I really do hate active.com

Started by latrina
Views: 1793 Posts: 12

2009-03-31 12:39 PM TriNole