General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression socks opinion? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-26 10:35 AM

User image

Subject: Compression socks opinion?
I know these are a divisive issue in athletics right now. People saying they work wonders, others saying they do nothing, blah blah blah. I want to know what you folks, as triathletes, think about them? I have a pair that I bought and have been using them a little bit, but haven't formed a solid opinion yet.

2017-01-26 12:43 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

Subject: RE: Compression socks opinion?
A lot fo people told me they were useless. I was given a pair of Calf sleeves for free at an event so i tried them out- As a big guy, I believe they work. I wear sleeves when i run and socks for recovery. I dont know about the recovery part but I know the sleeves help on runs. I feel like i have less "movement" (aka jiggle) in my lower legs and therefore able to go longer. Of course this could be mental....but a mental advantage is better than no advantage...
2017-01-26 2:17 PM
in reply to: TriToFinish57

User image

Originally posted by TriToFinish57

A lot fo people told me they were useless. I was given a pair of Calf sleeves for free at an event so i tried them out- As a big guy, I believe they work. I wear sleeves when i run and socks for recovery. I dont know about the recovery part but I know the sleeves help on runs. I feel like i have less "movement" (aka jiggle) in my lower legs and therefore able to go longer. Of course this could be mental....but a mental advantage is better than no advantage...

Thanks for that! I'm of the "larger" persuasion as well, at least larger than most of the stereotypical triathletes. When I first used the socks, I wasn't a fan of them. Felt all constricted in the calf area. Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me and I almost feel strange not using them.
2017-01-26 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I personally have only found them useful for recovery purposes, most specifically if I have to fly soon after an event, which is often the case. Not comfortable to run or ride in (would make my legs itch in the heat here, for starters) and my calves generally aren't what's sore after a race or hard workout, anyway, usually glutes and hamstrings. My calf muscles do tend to swell and get uncomfortable on long flights, particularly if I've raced in the week or so preceding them, so that's when I would generally wear them. But if you find them comfortable because they offer more support for tired muscles, (or less "jiggle") go for it. It's no different than someone wearing compression shorts/tights, or women preferring to run in a sports bra/top with more support!
2017-01-26 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
There is evidence behind them being useful for recovery.

In a healthy athlete there is not evidence that they help performance, though there can be other reasons to wear them. ( eg, trail run to protect the legs )

I've worn them in a race ONCE cause I had a bit of a nagging calf injury, and it was acting almost like a very mild brace along with some KT tape. Got me through.
2017-01-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I have chronic vein insufficiency in my legs so they're awesome for me.  I use the CEP brand.  I wear them for longer runs and for recovery.

2017-01-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Love them! I wear for recovery after long runs or races. Hubby wears for races and swears they help him go longer. I've also known of people to wear the calf sleeves under the wetsuit to aid in wetsuit removal.
2017-01-29 7:30 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I'm kind of both sides of this.... I love them for recovery and air travel (really helps with that!!!), but I hate them for running.
2017-03-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

DC
Originally posted by audiojan

• .. air travel...

• Yup, flights to Asia are otherwise horrendous. For me, that's speaks volumes as to their effectiveness (but only for recovery).
    2017-03-28 9:56 PM
    in reply to: audiojan

User image

Regular
    Wisconsin
    Originally posted by audiojan

I'm kind of both sides of this.... I love them for recovery and air travel (really helps with that!!!), but I hate them for running.

X2

I wear them after workouts and air travel also. Even long car rides. I'm a believer. I don't see much difference between the cheap ones and the 2xu ones, other than looks.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression socks opinion? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Compression socks or compression sleeves

Started by mtx
    Views: 3108 Posts: 10

2011-09-23 1:09 PM dnoble

Compression Socks

Started by k-read23
    Views: 945 Posts: 10

2009-10-06 9:18 AM brian

Compression Sleeves/Socks

Started by JoyfullySo
    Views: 846 Posts: 6

2009-04-09 10:30 AM enderjs

Compression Socks for Recovery?

Started by Silver_wlf
    Views: 998 Posts: 6

2009-02-02 7:38 PM BamaDC

"Best" Compression Socks?

Started by aarondavidson
    Views: 1010 Posts: 5

2007-12-18 5:10 PM aarondavidson
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 19, 2015
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    Over the last several years there has been increasing interest in, and use of, graded compression socks by athletes for training, racing, and recovery. Advertisements for these garments claim much.

date : March 17, 2015
    comments : 0
    Can you give me any information as to why those muscles are still feeling sore and if this will affect my training long term? I'm planning on doing a full Ironman in 2016.
    date : October 24, 2012
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 3
    I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : September 9, 2010
    comments : 1
    What causes shin splints and what can I do to treat them and do compression socks work?
    date : November 12, 2008
    On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : November 11, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 2
    Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
    date : October 22, 2008
    author : EndurancePlanet
    Socks speaks of how she made her way into triathlon by dropping a can of pop on her foot.