General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim distance, Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-01-30 3:08 PM

, New York
Subject: Swim distance,
Biking and running have been going good so far but I'm a little frustrated with my swimming, How would i go about increasing my distance or consecutive laps in the pool? When i first started to swim i was using a pool buoy but i have since stopped cause i did not want to rely on it to much. I manly used it to help get my stroke down and lateral breathing. Any help would be really appreciated.

2017-01-30 10:01 PM
in reply to: Dsgcobra

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Swim distance,
Trying to swim as far as you can without stopping is a poor way to train for swimming.
2017-01-31 5:54 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
how far are you swimming?
2017-01-31 7:17 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Dsgcobra

Biking and running have been going good so far but I'm a little frustrated with my swimming, How would i go about increasing my distance or consecutive laps in the pool? When i first started to swim i was using a pool buoy but i have since stopped cause i did not want to rely on it to much. I manly used it to help get my stroke down and lateral breathing. Any help would be really appreciated.

Two suggestions:
1.) join a masters swim group if time, access, and funds permit. Masters will often kick your butt, but you will get (depending on your coach and team) a great workout, some structured drills and sets, and (hopefully) stroke critique and technique assistance. Swimming is all about stroke and technique.

2.) If you can't get into a masters group, but the Total Immersion book and DVD. Watch the Youtube videos on swimming. Read!! Then get Shelia T.'s Swim Speed Workouts. They are helpful in terms of providing drills and workouts for you to follow in a sequence. If nothing else, the $20 is worth it just to not have to figure out what you are going to do each day in the pool.

Good luck!!
2017-01-31 10:59 AM
in reply to: 0

, New York
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Trying to swim as far as you can without stopping is a poor way to train for swimming.

I'm not swimming as far as i can for training, The plan that I follow has say a swim day of 900 total yards Main set 3x100 race pace w/ 15 second reset.

Originally posted by Oysterboy

how far are you swimming?

So far the plan has me between 800 and 900 total yards, and keeps increasing the total yardage as the weeks increase with the main sets also increasing.

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Two suggestions:
1.) join a masters swim group if time, access, and funds permit. Masters will often kick your butt, but you will get (depending on your coach and team) a great workout, some structured drills and sets, and (hopefully) stroke critique and technique assistance. Swimming is all about stroke and technique.

2.) If you can't get into a masters group, but the Total Immersion book and DVD. Watch the Youtube videos on swimming. Read!! Then get Shelia T.'s Swim Speed Workouts. They are helpful in terms of providing drills and workouts for you to follow in a sequence. If nothing else, the $20 is worth it just to not have to figure out what you are going to do each day in the pool.

Good luck!!

Thank you for the insight. I will just have to keep at it. I think that the progress with the swim is slower than the other two disciplines. I'm trying to build the endurance so i can swim consistently with out killing self in the water and set my self up for a miserable ride and run. Basically thinking and i quess you can say a little worried that if i can swim more than say 300 yards with out taking a break how will i increase that so i can complete a 1.5k swim with out stopping for a break.

Edited by Dsgcobra 2017-01-31 11:01 AM
2017-01-31 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

If you're coming to this sport without a swim background, it's completely normal for your swim progress to lag your bike and run progress. You can get pretty far with running and cycling on fitness alone, even if you have some technique flaws. Swimming is substantially more technical. If you have poor technique, you can't really compensate with fitness like you can on the bike or with running.

You probably need some coaching, be it live, or remote with regular exchanges of video and feedback, to get your stroke mechanics solid. Then you need reps. A lot of reps. You have to build swim specific strength, endurance, and neuro-muscular patterning. How frequently are you swimming? 3 x a week is probably the bare minimum it's going to take to make reasonable progress. 4 or 5 would be better.

If you're working towards competently swimming a 1500, you probably need to be able to do at least 20x100y on 15 seconds rest. If you're capping out at 3x100 now, I'd suggest you shorten the distance and go for more repeats. Try 50's at the same speed with the ~ the same rest and see how many you can make. You should be able to get to +/- 10. At this point, swimming 500 at "race pace" in 50 yard increments is better than swimming 300 yards in 100 yard increments. And when you fail to make your targeted speed, don't stop. Rest an extra minute, then hit it again. Then a third time. Repeatedly swimming up to that point of neuro-muscular failure is where you build your stamina. But once you hit it, you're better to stop and recover, then resume, than to keep going.

As your ability to get more 50's done at that speed increases, you can look at working in some 75's. Might have to back the pace off just a little, but you do it the same way. Then 100's.

When you get to the point where you can do 20x100 on 15 seconds rest at a particular pace with no or only 1 failure, you're ready (next workout!) to try a straight 1500 at (or close to) that pace.

Edited by gary p 2017-01-31 12:59 PM

2017-02-01 9:21 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I was going to say the same. Nothing wrong with 25s and 50s.
2017-02-01 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I was going to say the same. Nothing wrong with 25s and 50s.
2017-02-01 10:41 AM

Originally posted by gary p

If you're coming to this sport without a swim background, it's completely normal for your swim progress to lag your bike and run progress. You can get pretty far with running and cycling on fitness alone, even if you have some technique flaws. Swimming is substantially more technical. If you have poor technique, you can't really compensate with fitness like you can on the bike or with running.

gary is dead on about this.....but there's good news. At least, in my assessment.

While it lags, initially, the gains you will make will be MASSIVE compared to running and cycling.
I'm a completer, so masters classes and coaches were above my pay grade. I've had some decent swimming technique in the past, thanks to Boy Scout summer camp swimming merit badge counselors who were "swim team kids" and a because in college, I took swimming as a PE class, because it worked in my schedule. All the instructors were Big 10 swim team members (one even a mid-pack finisher in a few Olympic finals). Still, doesn't mean I really "knew" or "learned" anything. Maybe just enough to not be a 'bad' swimmer. I watched a lot of videos and read lots of articles.

But what made me better. 3-4 days a week over the course of a 2-3 months and I shaved...nay...carved....NAY....demolished minutes from any swim length more than 400 yards. We're talking swimming 1 mile faster than swimming .4 miles.

2017-02-01 11:20 AM

, New York
Thank you so much for the advise. everyone for the advice. I am swimming 3 days a week right now and will try to up it to 4. I will shorten the distance with more reps and report back. again than you all for your advice!!!!!
2017-02-01 4:10 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I used the 50x50 program to get the distance. Although, I modified it to my abilities (when I started I was unable to swim 50 yards in one shot...)

The idea behind 50x50 is that you swim 50 yards (or meters), then take 10 seconds break (or 6 seconds, depending on your form and abilities), and then go for another 50. Basically, you repeat 50 yards over and over with a little break in between.

I started with 25s. Obviously, I was not able to do 50 repetitions, but anything counts. Then I moved to 50s. Eventually, I was able to do 100.
I have not swam anything longer than 100 in my training, and I had no problem with 1,500 Olympic distance (I had mental problem, but that's another story, but no fitness, nor form, nor endurance problem).

2017-02-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: marysia83

, New York
all great advise thank you all again.

last night i tried 50x50 with a 15 second break (my mistake i thought its 15 not 10) i was able to get through 22x50 before needing to take a break. This so far has been the best swim work out I've had since starting this adventure.

Mary, you mentioned 50x50 program. Is there some where i can look at this program or do i just go by feel.

Gretchen, i am going to look into the Total Immersion book and dvd also.

thank you again, i really appreciate all your help!!!!
2017-02-02 10:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I frequently do 60x25m on 25 as a speed endurance set. It works out to 15x swim and 9x rest.
2017-02-03 2:20 AM

apologies for the banality of the question, but I continue to be confused about the reps...

can somebody clearly explain how these reps (10x100 with 15 seconds rest, for example) work?

Am I to set a specific time for the 100 mt fraction and repeat it for 10 times?
what if I miss the target time?

I've been trying to build reps in my swimming practice, but I'm confused...
Thanks in advance
Cristiano
2017-02-03 9:53 AM
in reply to: panino

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by panino apologies for the banality of the question, but I continue to be confused about the reps... can somebody clearly explain how these reps (10x100 with 15 seconds rest, for example) work? Am I to set a specific time for the 100 mt fraction and repeat it for 10 times? what if I miss the target time? I've been trying to build reps in my swimming practice, but I'm confused... Thanks in advance Cristiano

Ideally for something like 10x100 with 15s rest you will have a set time for the repeat.  Maybe it takes you 1:45 to swim the 100, you get 15s rest and leave every 2:00.  Early in the set that 1:45 might not be very challenging but as the set progresses you have to work harder and harder to hit that 1:45.  If you can maintain it (or very close) for the whole set then it's a good target pace.  If you blow up and start doing 1:50-1:55 then you started too hard and next time try starting at 1:50 and go on the 2:05.  If you finish and that 1:45 isn't a challenge at the end, next time try 1:40 / 1:55

2017-02-03 11:17 AM
in reply to: #5212009

New user
Bo, I've seen you mention that set often. My best 100yd (short course) without flip turns is 1:40. I swim 1,500yds straight averaging 2:00 per 100. What should I shoot for per 25 and for rest interval? Do this work out how often? Thanks for any input.

2017-02-03 11:38 AM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Do them on 35 seconds and aim for 23. Do 30, rest 2 minutes and do 30 more.
2017-02-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #5212513

New user
Thanks Bo! This will be my next work out.
2017-02-04 1:00 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York
I personally tend to focus on perfecting my swim form, I do lots of back and breast as well to mix it up and prevent overuse injury. I personally do catch up and twisting kick drills in the pool, focussing on good rotation and steady hips in the water. Perfect technique will always beat sloppy form. Plus you can get away with minimal training with good form
2017-02-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: #5212539

I've been looking at the 50x50, and other distance examples. What do you do for an ironman length swim (4200 yds) in training? I attend master's sessions twice a week and swim straight distance once a week. I could probably swim straight all day long, but I'm slow. Would 75x50 be beneficial?
2017-02-05 4:50 PM

User image

When I started, I bought myself a front face snorkel and found it to be really helpful. It helps you focus on your technique without worrying about breathing. I still use it today when I want to check and make sure everything is moving properly.

http://www.h2oustonswims.org/images/snorkelhead.jpg

2017-02-05 7:57 PM

User image

Ventura, California

Little late to the party but I have to second Shiela T's 'Swim Speed Secrets, Workouts'. She has both a book and a set of workout cards, if you choose to only get one, get the workout cards. They have been a super HUGE improvement on my swimming. I now have structured swim workouts, not practice, but workouts.

You will not just get main sets, but you will get skill drills which will help build specific techniques and strengths. These workouts are based on 3 workouts per week for 8 weeks. The 3rd workout of each week is what is called a 'She Ra' workout and is pulled directly from her personal Olympic Triathlon training calendar. These are typically 4,000 yards+

For example my last workout Friday was as follows: This is Week 3 workout 2, Purpose: Endurance and strength through distance pulling and press outs.

Warm Up: 100 easy, 3x50 kick with board @ :15 rest, 100 drill choice (free/fly/back/etc), 3x50 kick with board @ :15 rest sprint the last 12.5 of each 50, 100 easy

Main Set: 3x 10x50 pull with buoy, Round 1 Descend 1-5 and 6-10 60-65%-90-95% effort, Round 2 Hold all 10 strong and consistent 80-85%, Round 3 25 easy 60-65% / 25 fast 90-95%  Plus 2x:30 press outs (up to 8 max) @ 1:00 (each of the 3 rounds)

Bonus Set: 8x50 kick 90-95% choose rest interval of :40-:55

Warm Down: 100 easy

Tubing Set 5 x 20 full pulls, Free or Fly your choice :100-1:30 rest between sets

Total Workout 2,200, 2,600 with bonus set + Tubing drills

So you can see that that the main set focuses strictly on arm strength and technique as the legs are simply floating behind with the pull buoy. (and the pressouts) Then after that the bonus set focus strictly on leg strength building.

That's one of the easy ones!!!! So if your swimming solo this is the ticket right here no doubt in my mind. My technique is getting so dialed in, I feel like a weight lifter after these workouts, my leg strength, my lats and triceps are making gains. Its crazy. And I can only get to the pool twice a week if I am lucky, typically I might only get in once a week. My pool is 35 miles across the desert in the opposite direction from my work so it makes it difficult, so that is why these workout cards make it even more important to me because each swim session must be maximized to its fullest value.

I also have my first half iron man coming in 3 months!!!! I can tell you I am behind the ball in training already.

Best wishes with your swimming progress, I can recommend these swim workouts with full confidence that just about anyone will see improvement in just a matter of a couple weeks time.

https://www.velopress.com/books/swim-speed-workouts-for-swimmers-and-triathletes/

https://www.velopress.com/category/swim-speed/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim distance, Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NEW SWIM DISTANCE PB!!!

Started by piggpen35
Views: 822 Posts: 10

2005-04-24 10:08 PM zia_cyclist

Swim distance: feel a little dumb asking this...

Started by Ellie
Views: 2392 Posts: 12

2005-03-28 11:31 AM infosteward

Indoor Swim Distance vs Open Water Distance

Started by rfergus5
Views: 1691 Posts: 8

2005-03-27 4:41 PM rfergus5

Ironman Swim Distance

Started by madcow
Views: 3426 Posts: 23

2005-08-09 11:52 PM ChuckyFinster

Swim distances for the beginner

Started by bermudaGaz
Views: 1189 Posts: 15

2004-09-02 1:46 PM PepsiTwist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : January 16, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
In running, when trying to increase your distance, you don't want to add more than about 10% a week to avoid injury from overtraining. Is there a similar limit with swimming?

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : April 3, 2006
author : gsmacleod
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.
date : March 5, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 5
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.