Attachments
----------------
Immigration.jpg (97KB - 1 downloads)

2017-01-31 8:44 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Immigration Order

I'm protesting your inaccurate meme.  That line from Vincent LaGuardia Gambini was uttered in open court not sitting in an office.

2017-01-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

If there is anyone left in this country who doesn't  think the media blows everything into a ridiculous frenzy, to further whatever their agenda is, please contact me.  If you buy what they're selling you'll buy anything.

2017-01-31 9:34 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I agree with you LB

I also think this EO is effing stupid

2017-01-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

I agree with you LB

Yeah, it was probably unnecessary since there didn't seem to be a problem with the way we had been vetting immigrants.....but the man DID make a campaign promise, so there it is. 

Personally, I have not a single problem with our country taking refugees.....that's what we do.  If President trump uses this 90/120 days to implement a vetting system he is comfortable with, and then allows war refugees back into our country, I'm good with it.  If we just ban people because of where they are from.....no, I'm not behind that.

2017-01-31 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree with you LB

Yeah, it was probably unnecessary since there didn't seem to be a problem with the way we had been vetting immigrants.....but the man DID make a campaign promise, so there it is. 

Personally, I have not a single problem with our country taking refugees.....that's what we do.  If President trump uses this 90/120 days to implement a vetting system he is comfortable with, and then allows war refugees back into our country, I'm good with it.  If we just ban people because of where they are from.....no, I'm not behind that.

The problem I see with refugees is it makes it too easy for jihadist to infiltrate the US. Most of the refugees have no papers. So all a jihadist need do is walk into a refugee camp and blend in with the crowds.

America has gotten complacent again. 15+ years since a 9/11 scale attack and people are starting to think the fight is over. If this executive order had been given on 9/12/11 it would have been cheered by virtually everyone!!

As long as we have homeless and unemployed Americans I don't support taking in hundreds of thousands of refugee.....from anywhere!

There will eventually be another massive attack on the US. Imagine a bomb going off in the stands at the Super Bowl and 100,000 people running and trampling people.

2017-01-31 10:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

I agree with you LB

The problem I see with refugees is it makes it too easy for jihadist to infiltrate the US. Most of the refugees have no papers. So all a jihadist need do is walk into a refugee camp and blend in with the crowds. America has gotten complacent again. 15+ years since a 9/11 scale attack and people are starting to think the fight is over. If this executive order had been given on 9/12/11 it would have been cheered by virtually everyone!! As long as we have homeless and unemployed Americans I don't support taking in hundreds of thousands of refugee.....from anywhere! There will eventually be another massive attack on the US. Imagine a bomb going off in the stands at the Super Bowl and 100,000 people running and trampling people.

I realize that the experts are saying that jihadists will come to our country within the refugee population....and that's obviously something our country needs to be on top of......but let's be reasonable.....so far it has not been a problem.  So President Trumps temporary ban, as his administration gets a handle on it, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

But no, as the direct descendant of people who immigrated to this country, to escape a brutal regime, I could never get on the side of people who want to ban refugees or immigrants who want to come here for a better life.  That would not be fair to the legacy that my great-grandparents left to all of my family....I could never dishonor them like that. (and yes, I was fortunate to have my great-grandmother until I was 18 years old so I knew her well)

As far as I'm concerned, all who seek a good and decent life are welcome here.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-31 10:36 AM
2017-01-31 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I agree with you LB

The problem I see with refugees is it makes it too easy for jihadist to infiltrate the US. Most of the refugees have no papers. So all a jihadist need do is walk into a refugee camp and blend in with the crowds. America has gotten complacent again. 15+ years since a 9/11 scale attack and people are starting to think the fight is over. If this executive order had been given on 9/12/11 it would have been cheered by virtually everyone!! As long as we have homeless and unemployed Americans I don't support taking in hundreds of thousands of refugee.....from anywhere! There will eventually be another massive attack on the US. Imagine a bomb going off in the stands at the Super Bowl and 100,000 people running and trampling people.

I realize that the experts are saying that jihadists will come to our country within the refugee population....and that's obviously something our country needs to be on top of......but let's be reasonable.....so far it has not been a problem.  So President Trumps temporary ban, as his administration gets a handle on it, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

But no, as the direct descendant of people who immigrated to this country, to escape a brutal regime, I could never get on the side of people who want to ban refugees or immigrants who want to come here for a better life.  That would not be fair to the legacy that my great-grandparents left to all of my family....I could never dishonor them like that. (and yes, I was fortunate to have my great-grandmother until I was 18 years old so I knew her well)

One of my 4 grandparents immigrated from Italy around the turn of the (previous) century. The first Rogillio immigrated to the US from Spain in 1784.

Yes, we are a 'nation of immigrants'. But of you take immigration to it's logical end, the US will end up with a billion people just like China and India.

I would like for my children and grandchildren to be able to enjoy the prosperity I have enjoyed as an American. But there country, like the planet, can only support so many people!

I think we should set limits on the number of people from each country we allow to immigrate. If you are a refugee, I am sorry. You should go back and fight for your country! 600,000 American died in our civil war. Americans did not run away to some other country. They stood and fought for their homeland.

2017-01-31 11:01 AM

User image

I agree with you LB

One of my 4 grandparents immigrated from Italy around the turn of the (previous) century. The first Rogillio immigrated to the US from Spain in 1784. Yes, we are a 'nation of immigrants'. But of you take immigration to it's logical end, the US will end up with a billion people just like China and India. I would like for my children and grandchildren to be able to enjoy the prosperity I have enjoyed as an American. But there country, like the planet, can only support so many people! I think we should set limits on the number of people from each country we allow to immigrate. If you are a refugee, I am sorry. You should go back and fight for your country! 600,000 American died in our civil war. Americans did not run away to some other country. They stood and fought for their homeland.

Syrian refugees have a Hobson's choice - are they going to fight with Assad or are they going to fight with ISIS?  Which do you prefer?  Maybe these women and children should take Syria back from Assad and ISIS.

Only a couple hundred thousand refugees from the South to the North during our civil war.  I guess they should have stayed in the South fighting for their homeland?  Fighting who?  The Northern aggressors?  The Confederates?

Edited by Hook'em 2017-01-31 11:03 AM
2017-01-31 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I agree with you LB

What they have found when looking into all of this is that it is far easier for a terrorist to come here on some other kind of visa than through our refugee program.  The refugee thing is a red herring.  You are more likely to be killed by a white man with a gun, or a toddler with a gun, or a police officer, or a...you get my point.

2017-01-31 11:30 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I agree with you LB

What they have found when looking into all of this is that it is far easier for a terrorist to come here on some other kind of visa than through our refugee program.  The refugee thing is a red herring.  You are more likely to be killed by a white man with a gun, or a toddler with a gun, or a police officer, or a...you get my point.

This reminds me of the previous LB's post on the crime in Chicago. How many shootings have happened in Chicago in just January 2017...? Over 250...?

2017-01-31 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hook'em

I agree with you LB

One of my 4 grandparents immigrated from Italy around the turn of the (previous) century. The first Rogillio immigrated to the US from Spain in 1784. Yes, we are a 'nation of immigrants'. But of you take immigration to it's logical end, the US will end up with a billion people just like China and India. I would like for my children and grandchildren to be able to enjoy the prosperity I have enjoyed as an American. But there country, like the planet, can only support so many people! I think we should set limits on the number of people from each country we allow to immigrate. If you are a refugee, I am sorry. You should go back and fight for your country! 600,000 American died in our civil war. Americans did not run away to some other country. They stood and fought for their homeland.

Syrian refugees have a Hobson's choice - are they going to fight with Assad or are they going to fight with ISIS?  Which do you prefer?  Maybe these women and children should take Syria back from Assad and ISIS.

Only a couple hundred thousand refugees from the South to the North during our civil war.  I guess they should have stayed in the South fighting for their homeland?  Fighting who?  The Northern aggressors?  The Confederates?

But the southern refugees merely changed sides. They did not move to France or Spain or England. Had the south won there would be two United States or a United States and a Confederate States of America. But the 'refugees' as you call them would still be part of the America. I understand they don't like ISIS or Assad but they could stay and change things not invade someone else's country. Or they could seek refuge in Saudi Arabia or some other Arab/Muslim country.

2017-01-31 12:14 PM

User image

Pro

I agree with you LB

But the southern refugees merely changed sides. They did not move to France or Spain or England. Had the south won there would be two United States or a United States and a Confederate States of America. But the 'refugees' as you call them would still be part of the America. I understand they don't like ISIS or Assad but they could stay and change things not invade someone else's country. Or they could seek refuge in Saudi Arabia or some other Arab/Muslim country.

Or they could come to America......the same way we all ended up here.  As I have posted before.....I live in an area where our govt. settled Bosnian immigrants/refugees.  In just 2-3 generations they have become part of the fabric of our community.  Most  are Muslim.  Some have become some of my kid's best friends.  I'm glad they are here....and so are they!  To me, that has always been the best part of America.....come here for a better life...you are welcome here.

2017-01-31 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I agree with you LB

Or they could come to America......the same way we all ended up here.  As I have posted before.....I live in an area where our govt. settled Bosnian immigrants/refugees.  In just 2-3 generations they have become part of the fabric of our community.  Most  are Muslim.  Some have become some of my kid's best friends.  I'm glad they are here....and so are they!  To me, that has always been the best part of America.....come here for a better life...you are welcome here.

YES.  My grandparents are eastern European immigrants.  I am 2 generations in and feel completely American, BECAUSE society has (mostly) decided to accept eastern European jews.  The primary reason that some people don't assimilate is because they don't feel welcome or feel discriminated against.  Policies like this are a massive contributor to those feelings.

2017-01-31 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I agree with you LB

YES.  My grandparents are eastern European immigrants.  I am 2 generations in and feel completely American, BECAUSE society has (mostly) decided to accept eastern European jews.  The primary reason that some people don't assimilate is because they don't feel welcome or feel discriminated against.  Policies like this are a massive contributor to those feelings.

Chicken/egg

Perhaps they are not made to feel welcome is because they refuse to learn the language and they refuse to assimilate. They keep to their own.

My grandfather did not speak a work of English when he came to America. But he learned the language and only spoke Italian to his father. He wanted to be an American....not an Italian-American.

He married another Italian....but both his children married non-Italians. Which is why I am not a member of the cosa nostra...the black hand. Although I have some cousins that are.
2017-01-31 12:37 PM

User image

Pro

I agree with you LB

Chicken/egg Perhaps they are not made to feel welcome is because they refuse to learn the language and they refuse to assimilate. They keep to their own. My grandfather did not speak a work of English when he came to America. But he learned the language and only spoke Italian to his father. He wanted to be an American....not an Italian-American. He married another Italian....but both his children married non-Italians. Which is why I am not a member of the cosa nostra...the black hand. Although I have some cousins that are.

Nah, that's mostly a myth.....and it's decidedly UNTRUE of their children.  Most (almost all) people who choose to live here assimilate into our culture.....and they all do within a few generations.

I don't mind a few signs in Croation around my house.....and I enjoy hearing it spoken as it reminds me of my Grandparents. 

2017-01-31 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Nah, that's mostly a myth.....and it's decidedly UNTRUE of their children.  Most (almost all) people who choose to live here assimilate into our culture.....and they all do within a few generations.

I don't mind a few signs in Croation around my house.....and I enjoy hearing it spoken as it reminds me of my Grandparents. 

Have you ever been to Grbic restaurant in St Louis?

When I was young I lived in a heavily small dutch farming town in WI. The town I lived near and even the surrounding other towns where very dutch. We had different dutch celebration, dutch food, and even the high school was the flying Dutchmen. I went to a dutch church but they gave up giving any services in dutch before I was born because over time the language gets lost. My great grand parents spoke dutch at home but my grandparents did not even though they knew it. In the town no signs were dutch and I never heard anyone speak it even though basically everyone from this town of 2000 people was from dutch decent. The high school will teach Spanish but not Dutch.

2017-01-31 2:14 PM

User image

I agree with you LB

Southern refugees did not merely change sides.  They were refugees from the war torn South forced to flee because of war and the resulting famine, being displaced from homes and farms, etc.  Many were put in refugee camps in the North.  Many went to Canada, France, and England.  They did not simply swap their gray caps for blue caps.

2017-01-31 2:23 PM

User image

Pro

Chirunner -

We sure have!  The Sarma there is SO good.

South St. Louis has some fabulous ethnic neighborhoods down near there.  Dutchtown (German), Dogtown (Irish), The Hill (Italian), were all flourishing when I grew up here.  Over time, the neighborhoods began to decline, but many areas of them have been resurrected by the Bosnians who have settled here.  Many of those neighborhoods are full of homes that now have large smokehouses in the back yard where the Bosnians smoke goats.  That's an acquired taste for sure.....but man do they love to share!  On a weekend morning the entire neighborhood can look like it's fogged in from the smoke.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-31 2:24 PM
2017-01-31 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I agree with you LB

Southern refugees did not merely change sides.  They were refugees from the war torn South forced to flee because of war and the resulting famine, being displaced from homes and farms, etc.  Many were put in refugee camps in the North.  Many went to Canada, France, and England.  They did not simply swap their gray caps for blue caps.

You obviously know more history than I so I will cede the point.

So when the war is over, should we send the refugees home?

2017-01-31 2:28 PM

User image

Pro

I agree with you LB

You obviously know more history than I so I will cede the point. So when the war is over, should we send the refugees home?

What?  They're people.  If they want to go back to their homeland they can.  If they want to stay in America they can.  They're not prisoners.

2017-01-31 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I agree with you LB

You obviously know more history than I so I will cede the point. So when the war is over, should we send the refugees home?

What?  They're people.  If they want to go back to their homeland they can.  If they want to stay in America they can.  They're not prisoners.

I'm sick of the US paying for the worlds' refugees. Let each country take their fair share. How many refugees has Saudia Arabia taken? How about China? Mongolia? South Africa? Croatia?

You can only stretch the good will of the American people so much till it snaps. This is exactly why Trump got elected! People are tried of us giving billion in aid to foreign countries when we can't even take care of our homeless and our veterans. We have elderly people and single mothers struggling to pay their electric bill and prescription drugs every month and yet we (you) think it is the job of the USofA to save the freaking world! To hell with Americans, those poor refugees have no place to live. It is time we take care of our problems first. We are 19+ trillion dollars in debt! We are borrowing money from the Chinese to show how benevolent we are!

Enough is enough!

That is my opinion. I understand yours. We will just have to disagree. Last time I checked I had no voicemails from Washington asking me what we should do. We did have an election though.....and part of Trump's platform included stopping the inflow of unvetted people from Muslim countries.

2017-01-31 2:57 PM

User image

Pro

I agree with you LB

I'm sick of the US paying for the worlds' refugees. Let each country take their fair share. How many refugees has Saudia Arabia taken? How about China? Mongolia? South Africa? Croatia? You can only stretch the good will of the American people so much till it snaps. This is exactly why Trump got elected! People are tried of us giving billion in aid to foreign countries when we can't even take care of our homeless and our veterans. We have elderly people and single mothers struggling to pay their electric bill and prescription drugs every month and yet we (you) think it is the job of the USofA to save the freaking world! To hell with Americans, those poor refugees have no place to live. It is time we take care of our problems first. We are 19+ trillion dollars in debt! We are borrowing money from the Chinese to show how benevolent we are! Enough is enough! That is my opinion. I understand yours. We will just have to disagree. Last time I checked I had no voicemails from Washington asking me what we should do. We did have an election though.....and part of Trump's platform included stopping the inflow of unvetted people from Muslim countries.

If your family was still in Italy you'd have a horse head in your bed tonight. 

2017-01-31 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I agree with you LB

I'm sick of the US paying for the worlds' refugees. Let each country take their fair share. How many refugees has Saudia Arabia taken? How about China? Mongolia? South Africa? Croatia? You can only stretch the good will of the American people so much till it snaps. This is exactly why Trump got elected! People are tried of us giving billion in aid to foreign countries when we can't even take care of our homeless and our veterans. We have elderly people and single mothers struggling to pay their electric bill and prescription drugs every month and yet we (you) think it is the job of the USofA to save the freaking world! To hell with Americans, those poor refugees have no place to live. It is time we take care of our problems first. We are 19+ trillion dollars in debt! We are borrowing money from the Chinese to show how benevolent we are! Enough is enough! That is my opinion. I understand yours. We will just have to disagree. Last time I checked I had no voicemails from Washington asking me what we should do. We did have an election though.....and part of Trump's platform included stopping the inflow of unvetted people from Muslim countries.

If your family was still in Italy you'd have a horse head in your bed tonight. 

And you'd be sleeping with the fishes.....

;-)
2017-01-31 3:12 PM

User image

Pro

(ester2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ester2.jpg (43KB - 1 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Immigration Order Rss Feed