General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't think I'm signing up for any races this year. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-06 12:16 PM

User image

Subject: I don't think I'm signing up for any races this year.
Haven't worked out in months. I needed a break to heal up, relax and just not train for awhile. It's been a pretty steady 8 year run. I keep saying next week I'll start back. Even though I'm getting fat still can't get motivated. Funny thing is I just said to myself screw it I'm not racing this year! Almost instantly I got the desire to start working out. Funny how that works.

2017-02-06 3:45 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: I don't think I'm signing up for any races this year.
You could very well be overtrained. Have you gotten a blood test? It might worthwhile to make sure you have nothing going on. I just got one last month and did a full write-up and included all my results if you are interested:

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2017/01/athlete-blood-testing-blood-wo...
2017-02-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: #5212703

It might be nice to workout just for health benefits and maybe try new activities. Maybe volunteer at some local races and take time to rejunvenate.
2017-02-07 7:01 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

i think it's mostly over trained. Spending more time with kids vs training put too much pressure on schedule. When I made the decision to bag racing and just train for fun it was like a switch being flipped. The idea of working out went from PITA to seems like fun. It's been building for about two years. I've wanted to try volunteering at a race but could never find the time. Now I should be able to. May race late season but that'll be a last min sign up. The other factor is I've had a good run the last two years with results. The thought of takin a big step backwards after time off was bothering me.
2017-02-07 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano i think it's mostly over trained. Spending more time with kids vs training put too much pressure on schedule. When I made the decision to bag racing and just train for fun it was like a switch being flipped. The idea of working out went from PITA to seems like fun. It's been building for about two years. I've wanted to try volunteering at a race but could never find the time. Now I should be able to. May race late season but that'll be a last min sign up. The other factor is I've had a good run the last two years with results. The thought of takin a big step backwards after time off was bothering me.

It's tough to balance sometimes but the burn out is real and in the end triathlon will still be there when you feel refreshed and ready. I keep thinking about how you need to find things that work for you - tri might work for a while but it's okay if you need a break. 

I am pregnant right now and I had minor nausea in the first trimester in the Fall and i was being super hard on myself for not keeping up the running - but in the end like you it was feeling like an imposition and something I 'had' to do rather than the thing that made me feel good and was a stress reliever. I just let it go - life is too hectic (aside from being pregnant, we moved out of our house into a temporary rental and are coordinating the reno with a contractor and architect while working full-time oh and it's winter ... so there's that being in the icy and dark, plus, last but not least we already have 3.5 year old child - whew) and although it will take some time to come back, it does come back. 

So enjoy your hiatus and do what works for you! 

2017-02-07 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I took last year off due to running injury.

I had planned to hit this year strong out of the gate. Lost 15 pounds and was hitting solid bike and run times and then another running injury. I just started back running again but keeping slower pace until I have confidence my injury is heeled.

Not sure if I will hit podiums again this year but looking forward to racing again.

I did enjoy spending time with my family last year. My daughter only has one more year after this year before going off to college so enjoyed the extra time together.

2017-02-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: #5212745

User image

Not worth stressing yourself over. I was planning a two week break after my half in october. I felt great physically, but was mentally drained. I ended up taking 2 months off and doing some woodworking and other hobbies. I've been back at it since mid January and I'm pretty much back to where I was. Just have fun and the desire will come back. Life is too short.
2017-02-07 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5212805

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
8 years is a long pull. Needing a break isn't unusual I think. I just took two years out of anything serious and am now feeling the pull back to racing. We'll see...

Follow your gut - this supposed to be fun, right?

Hope to see you out there when it's the right time.

Matt
2017-02-08 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Don't always need to have a training mindset or training just to stay fit. Plenty of people are just as active, that train for general fitness and can probably do just as much as "well-trained" triathletes.

Sometimes the label of training burns people out.

I personally feel through observations that many put too much pressure on their hobby and in turn get turned off, frustrated, burned out, etc from it.

Just going out and riding your bike, or doing fitness classes, or hiking the woods is all you need.

As with everything in life, consistency is key.
2017-02-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Master
, California

Single sport focus is a good way to get active again without burning out.

Or mix it up and do something that's a little different -- cyclocross or MTB, or take a track class.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't think I'm signing up for any races this year. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

don't think I'm aqua jogging right?

Started by jdotten
Views: 592 Posts: 3

2012-06-01 8:29 AM mmrocker13

Don't you love that "I just signed up for a race" feeling Pages: 1 2

Started by stuartjeff
Views: 1523 Posts: 31

2007-10-19 9:30 AM lredrow

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1841 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

Don't think I'm going swimming anytime soon...

Started by tri_it_cajun_style
Views: 1462 Posts: 3

2005-10-03 8:37 AM joannh13

IMCDA 2006 Sign ups

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1260 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 9:48 PM PGoldberger