General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner question about a bike size Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-06 11:14 PM

Subject: beginner question about a bike size
Hello, I'm new to triathlons rode road bikes for a few years now. I have a friend who has a Cervelo P1 I think it is that's a 56 and I'm 5'6". I know it's asked a lot but he is offering the bike for 200 for me to start. He said it would be to big but if I wanted to try it I was welcome too. I'm on a very tight budget and would have to wait another 4 months to be able to buy a used bike thats a 52. What would you guys do? I'm new but I don't have a cat wallet since wife's in collage and 2 kids in school. Thanks

2017-02-07 6:36 AM
in reply to: bfdast

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: beginner question about a bike size
Height is a poor indicator of bike fit, but it's very likely a 56cm P1 is going to be too large. I'm 5'9" and the closest P1 would be 54cm for my fit.

Now, that being said, bike fit is highly individual as you need to take in consideration not only body measurements (upper/lower body, arms, etc. etc.) but also flexibility, core strength, current/prior issues/injuries, athletic background/riding experience, type of rider you are, and all this before you even get to external factors such as distance, types of races, terrain you race/train in etc.

Then add that a 56cm from one brand can be vastly different than a 56cm from another brand, some times even between models... A 56cm can be about the same as a medium, a 54cm, a 53cm, a large, a 58cm, etc. etc. etc. etc.
2017-02-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: #5212760

Thanks I haven't rode it yet but I used to have a road bike about that size that was big for me and I rode it for a year. I could out both feet on the ground but again made do.
2017-02-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: bfdast

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by bfdast

Thanks I haven't rode it yet but I used to have a road bike about that size that was big for me and I rode it for a year. I could out both feet on the ground but again made do.

Sounds like a very bad idea... a road bike is a bit more flexible in fit than a tri bike... if it doesn't fit you well, you can end up quite a bit slower than on a well fitting road bike. Just keep that in mind since budget is important (wouldn't want you to waste the money)
2017-02-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #5212821

Thanks I'm going to go ride it, he leaves an hr from me, and see how bad it is. I figured it's worth a shot to see.
2017-02-09 9:40 PM
in reply to: #5213081

At best you'll be forcing it. If be shocked if a 56 would fit you at 5'6" unless you have some really funky measurements. Being able to sit on it and reach the ground is a far cry from having a bike that fits.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner question about a bike size Rss Feed