General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-10 7:53 AM

Subject: Tri Newbie
Hello my name is Darlene and I'm looking to challenge myself in doing some triathlons in 2017. Looking forward to great information on this website.

2017-02-15 11:23 PM
in reply to: DKusaywa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Tri Newbie

Hi Darlene, welcome to BT.  As you get to learn your way around you'll find people here are friendly and willing to share tips and inspiration.  I recommend keeping track of your workouts in your training log here as a great way to keep track and sometimes if you ask questions people will look at your log and interpret what you have done to help answer your questions.  I also recommend reading race reports for any races (ie - Lake Placid) it is great for learning and inspiration.  I also recommend volunteering at local races to further your learning and meet other new triathletes.

Just some basic advice:

Swimming - get at least 2 pair of goggles. Swim at least 3X per week (4X is better but build up to it) and also learn to be comfortable in the water.  Take lessons if you need to like Masters or any other swim group.  Getting the swim right is important.  It will take time to get it so don't get discouraged just keep at it.  I couldn't swim 50m when I started in 2012 but I kept at it and now I can swim any distance I put my mind to do.  Also, come the summer get out and swim in open water to get comfortable with it.  It is absolutely different from swimming in a pool.  If you are doing a race with an open water swim go to the same lake and swim in it a few times to get yourself comfortable before the race.  My 1st race swim was no wetsuit and my heart rate was so high I couldn't put my face in the water so I wound up doing the breaststroke for 750m.  It takes a bit of practice to keep yourself calm at the start of your first races.

Cycling - Get a bike that fits you.  It doesn't have to be expensive.  I ride with a woman that is a much better rider than I am and her bike is a heavy metal frame.  Find some friends to ride with and put on lots of miles.  You can get an expensive bike once you know you are going to ride and race a lot more.

Running - I'm not a good runner so hopefully you already know more than I do.

In the summer before a race practice your transitions every minute you save is free speed.  The same goes for your nutrition.  Try different products and find what you can and can't consume on the bike and the run.

Check out the mentor groups and find one that fits you and join up and be vocal.  Ask lots of questions and don't be embarrassed about what you ask.  Others will be glad you thought to ask.

Have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri Newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Newbie

Started by biker_chic
Views: 924 Posts: 9

2006-09-12 6:42 PM biker_chic

NC Tri Newbie

Started by NCTriNewbie
Views: 1003 Posts: 8

2006-01-17 9:07 PM NCTriNewbie

Tri newbie

Started by Stevarino
Views: 814 Posts: 4

2004-10-27 12:05 AM c2fd

TRI Newbie in New Orleans

Started by Cavu9
Views: 918 Posts: 7

2004-08-06 4:37 PM usarocks

Tri-Newbie Ruby

Started by ruby25
Views: 1660 Posts: 8

2003-09-29 4:46 PM ruby25
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!