General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increased running impacting my ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-12 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Increased running impacting my ride
I am a poor runner working to become fair, which is the best I will ever be (age and multiple surgeries). I am beginning to see some small gains. I am running a little faster, am far less sore after a run and my recovery is no longer twice as long as any other workout. All good things. However, I am finding my legs far more fatigued when I do a ride workout.

This increase in running is just since the beginning of the year. So my question is, will this normalize over time or is this just a sacrifice I have to live with? I am ramping up slowly on the run so if it will level out, any idea how long I can expect to wait before a ride the day after a run is back t a normal ride?

This may be way to specific to the person and not the general population but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

2017-02-13 4:32 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Increased running impacting my ride
My experience is that once you stop adding running miles and level off, your bike strength will come back within a few weeks.
2017-02-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5213295

User image

Franklin, TN
I'm older too and in the same boat. It takes time until you build up sufficient endurance. Making sure your runs are at an easy pace helps.
2017-02-15 3:25 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Probably a bunch of different variables, but I'll talk about the ones that affect me the most.

It depends on what zones you plan on doing your workouts in. I attempted to do a homebrewed plan last year that focused on running, but I could never get the right balance in my schedule and just remained constantly drained. Now I bought a training peaks plan and I'm currently riding and running more than I did then, but I feel much better throughout the week. I spend a lot more time in z1 and z2 than I did before with a few dedicated intervals in higher zones. Make sure your recovery sessions are recovery and not too hard or you won't be able to do push hard when you need to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increased running impacting my ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Does impact increase w/run speed?

Started by Porfirio
Views: 988 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 5:00 PM MonkeyClaw

Increase Protein w/out Increasing Carbs

Started by lkagop
Views: 3951 Posts: 11

2009-01-15 10:31 AM JohnnyKay

Increase Protein W/out Increasing Fat

Started by lkagop
Views: 2028 Posts: 15

2008-10-20 9:16 PM Comet

Increased biking mileage, increased bulk?

Started by vmr719
Views: 1405 Posts: 22

2005-04-27 9:27 PM lynda

training increase = calorie increase?

Started by autumn
Views: 841 Posts: 4

2005-04-15 9:44 AM Gatsby
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 30, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
How to coordinate blood donation with triathlon schedule?

date : November 14, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
Do you wonder how aging impacts performance—and what you can do to retain youthful fitness?
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : May 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
The impact forces and eccentric contractions associated with running stress muscles, ligaments, and tendons to a point that requires greater recovery than the other sports.