United States
Life Time Fitness
Precipitation
Total Time = 42m 12s
Overall Rank = 56/211
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went into this one wholly unprepared. Then the rains came... I didn't know that much water could come out of the sky at once. Canceled the swim, as there were standing waves/rapids on Town "Lake." Then the lightning was such that they had to cancel the bike! So, it turned into a 10k. Majority of racers bailed after the swim and bike were canceled. I suspect the course was short, as I was NOT in 42' shape and had run an 8k the day prior. But I'll take it. ;)
Event warmup:

Sheltering huddled in the garage with the mass of humanity avoiding drowning or electrocution. Then the skies parted, I did a short warmup and ran the 10k with the couple hundred that stuck it out.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Crazy flow in the river. No way you'd survive a swim, so I kinda get why they closed this one...
What would you do differently?:

Um, pick a different climate?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Sheltering in place in the garage, chatting with other racers. Fun, but odd to have that much spandex clad racer mass crammed into a small space.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 40 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

Managed to avoid getting zapped, but only cuz the course was closed. Rain/pyrotechnics stopped, but too late to start a bike race (the year prior had no swim, but had the bike and run), as the city only allows so much time with the main roads shut down. Had more nice chats in the garage with the dwindling number of racers...

Bring more coffee.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I guess this was the walk to the start of the run course?
Run
  • 42m 12s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Good run for me. Again, I think the course was perhaps a bit short, as I was not in 42' shape. That said, I kept it pegged and had a good run, especially for my level of fitness. A bit disappointed that I didn't get a tri in, just for the fun of it, but still got to hang with some good folks and bury myself on the run. Good times, all in!

Swim and bike first.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and chatted with some folks. Had a bite to eat and a drink. Cheered the medal ceremony, as is my wont. Was fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race came after about a year off, so there's that...

Event comments:

Really, this is a good race, but the second year with no swim and then no bike do kinda ding it. The course, when open, is a really fun one, with a great venue and after event activities. I've only been here two years, so don't know if the extreme weather was entirely anomalous or should be expected - so I considered a rating of 4 (in case they should consider a different date). But really, I'll take my chances to have the event on Mem Day Weekend in downtown Austin, which is kind of awesome in so many ways!

Last updated: 2017-02-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/211
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Rapids. Debris. MAYHEM. Course was best described as closed...
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 40 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Overall: 0/211
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Again, best described as closed. Too much lightning - like crazy, stormy, Texas sized stuff. Insane! Then it stopped abruptly and the skies mostly cleared. Only in Texas...
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:12 | 10 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Overall: 56/211
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps. Mostly flat, just a couple rollers. WET. But a neat loop through some areas that you'd otherwise just run past along the lake on a normal day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-02-16 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Life Time Tri CapTex Olympic

2017-02-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #5213703

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Life Time Tri CapTex Olympic

Another 2016 report. 

This was a 10k run, rather than an Oly tri, as the weather in Texas can be, well, Texas sized. 

Swim was canceled, as there were standing waves/rapids on Town "Lake."  Bike was scrubbed due to a lightning storm worthy of a 4th of July show.

Then it cleared abruptly and the remaining folks had a nice 10k.  Go figure...

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri CapTex Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Tri CapTex - Olympic Course

Started by mcmanusclan5
Views: 1008 Posts: 6

2016-03-11 4:22 PM rrrunner

Life Time Tri Maple Grove - Olympic Course

Started by dbrook1
Views: 1078 Posts: 2

2013-08-27 12:20 PM BikerGrrrl

Life Time Tri Chicago - Olympic Course

Started by tesselate331
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2012-10-13 4:49 PM tesselate331

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 1094 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 10:28 AM tbcoffee

Started by TriMang
Views: 1152 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 11:53 PM tbcoffee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2009
author : pdxbiker
comments : 2
With my new triathlon goal set, I had to find a pool, set a schedule, ramp up the cycling, and keep up the running.

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.