General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi Im new Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-18 12:50 PM

User image

Subject: Hi Im new
Hi Folks
Just turned 50 (must be a magic number) Lol and I am training for my first tri. I am from the highlands of Scotland so the water just now is baltic! I have been in but not for long and I am not a strong swimmer! Most of my training has been in the pool but trying to get out in the open water. I can only do breast stroke but fairly well. I am learning front crawl but can only do half a length just now :-(. My question is, has anyone done the wildman triathlon in Orlando? If so, what is the water like? My kind off swim today was in Loch Ness and it was really wavy, so now Im really worried the lake in Orlando could be the same....sorry for long winded post
Julie

2017-02-18 9:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hi Im new

Hi Julie,  Welcome to BT and just to let you know 50 is not old in triathlons.  I'm a member of a mentor group for the "Gray Guys and Gals" (50 and up).  You should definitely join a mentor group whether you look at our older group or go for a beginner oriented group.  Actually we have a Scottish fellow in our group that is riding the "etape Loch Ness" in April so he might have some good local tips for you.

Breaststroke will get you through a sprint no problem and don't worry about only swimming a length of freestyle (front crawl) just now.  It takes time but it will come.  I started swimming in January 2012 and I could only swim 50m then hung on to the wall huffing and puffing for several minutes to catch my breath.  Now I have much more endurance.  More importantly - are you comfortable in the water?  If yes it is a great advantage for you.  I swim 3 times per week and mostly 4 times.  Don't swim less and find a group to swim with.

I'm not familiar with the Wildman Tri in Florida but I'm pretty certain the water there would be a lot warmer than the lakes in yours or my areas.  I tried doing a search of the Wildman to find race reports and I didn't find any but there might be more to the name.  Go to their website and/or search here in BT for race reports the website should tell you everything but the race reports give you insight and inspiration.  Locally here in Penticton in July our lake water temp is in the seventies and wetsuits aren't allowed in shorter races because it is too warm and we're a lot further north than Florida.

I just looked at the Wildman website and even though the race is in March it should be a lot warmer than Loch Ness.  Of course, I can't guarantee it.  Definitely do some open water swimming in the lake when you get there to get oriented (check with locals) and whatever you do don't listen to your brain that will try very hard to convince you this is crazy and you can't do it.  Your brain is lying to you.  You can do it.  Just go as fast as you can but take time to learn all you can so that your next race is even better.  I swam my very first race (sprint) doing a very slow breastroke in 21 minutes.  Then finished the bike and run.  Two weeks later I did my second sprint and swam it in 17 minutes.

This is fun.  Have fun first.  And, now I am sorry for being so verbose.

Edited by wenceslasz 2017-02-18 9:50 PM
2017-02-19 4:31 AM
in reply to: #5213883

User image

Subject: RE: Hi Im new
Wow thank you for excellent reply! We have Triathlon Inverness here and they are a great group ?? For some reason I am feeling very intimidated to join them as I feel my standard in the swimming is so bad ?? I must take the plunge so to speak lol. I am not hugely confident in the water, your right my brain tells me I can't do it although strangely enough when I'm in the water it doesn't bother me so much . I guess I am worried that I won't make the distance as I haven't done it in open water ?? It's only 400m but that seems a long way when there's nothing to hold on too lol.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi Im new Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New here, hi hi!

Started by Lynn00
Views: 994 Posts: 3

2013-05-13 4:15 PM Lynn00

hi hi hi

Started by woohoo83
Views: 1286 Posts: 3

2008-09-10 1:15 AM mchally

hi everyone, im from michigan!

Started by aaron s.
Views: 946 Posts: 7

2007-10-31 10:24 PM LAS22

Hi, Hi, Hi, really new to triathlon.........

Started by newadventures
Views: 1240 Posts: 14

2006-05-23 9:17 PM mroylance

Glad im not alone..hi everyone from georgia

Started by Element16
Views: 673 Posts: 3

2006-02-14 8:44 PM Comet
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.