Other Resources The Political Joe » Marijuana..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-02-24 12:33 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: Marijuana.....

So I've been reading tonight that the Feds may start enforcing marijuana (federal) laws on the states that have legalized it.  That's more stupid than Twitter.....I thought that was impossible.

I swear, If I was a Democrat I would break all the windows out of my house and set my cars on fire.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-02-24 12:39 AM

2017-02-24 8:22 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Marijuana.....
2017-02-24 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Under what constitutional premise does the government have for outlawing pot?

Pretty hard to make a case for 'public safety' when so many lives are lost or ruined due to alcohol. Never been in a bar where a bunch of guys got high and wanted to kick everyone's .....

Funny you brought this topic up. Yesterday afternoon I sold my motorhome to an elderly couple. She had really short hair. Turns out it was because of the chemo. They were buying the RV to go to Colorado. She had stage IV cancer and they were moving to Colorado to try cannabis and see if that helps. They plan to buy a repo house and fix it up.....and would live in the RV while doing repairs on the house.

Say what you want about recreational pot there is no rational reason for the state to bad medical use of pot. There are plenty of documented cases showing it helps! The big pharmaceutical companies have too much power. I lost a really good friend and a coworker to cancer recently. His weight had dropped to like 140 lbs and he looked terrible.....the chemo made his so sick he could not stand to eat. He started smoking pot and put back on 20 lbs!! I am 100% certain the pot allowed him to live at least 18 months longer and live those months way more comfortably.

I have an 80 yo mother with Alzheimer's and we giver her special brownies to mitigate the fits of irrational anger.
2017-02-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Rogillio Under what constitutional premise does the government have for outlawing pot? Pretty hard to make a case for 'public safety' when so many lives are lost or ruined due to alcohol. Never been in a bar where a bunch of guys got high and wanted to kick everyone's ..... Funny you brought this topic up. Yesterday afternoon I sold my motorhome to an elderly couple. She had really short hair. Turns out it was because of the chemo. They were buying the RV to go to Colorado. She had stage IV cancer and they were moving to Colorado to try cannabis and see if that helps. They plan to buy a repo house and fix it up.....and would live in the RV while doing repairs on the house. Say what you want about recreational pot there is no rational reason for the state to bad medical use of pot. There are plenty of documented cases showing it helps! The big pharmaceutical companies have too much power. I lost a really good friend and a coworker to cancer recently. His weight had dropped to like 140 lbs and he looked terrible.....the chemo made his so sick he could not stand to eat. He started smoking pot and put back on 20 lbs!! I am 100% certain the pot allowed him to live at least 18 months longer and live those months way more comfortably. I have an 80 yo mother with Alzheimer's and we giver her special brownies to mitigate the fits of irrational anger.

hey, something we totally agree on!

2017-02-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Rogillio Under what constitutional premise does the government have for outlawing pot? Pretty hard to make a case for 'public safety' when so many lives are lost or ruined due to alcohol. Never been in a bar where a bunch of guys got high and wanted to kick everyone's ..... Funny you brought this topic up. Yesterday afternoon I sold my motorhome to an elderly couple. She had really short hair. Turns out it was because of the chemo. They were buying the RV to go to Colorado. She had stage IV cancer and they were moving to Colorado to try cannabis and see if that helps. They plan to buy a repo house and fix it up.....and would live in the RV while doing repairs on the house. Say what you want about recreational pot there is no rational reason for the state to bad medical use of pot. There are plenty of documented cases showing it helps! The big pharmaceutical companies have too much power. I lost a really good friend and a coworker to cancer recently. His weight had dropped to like 140 lbs and he looked terrible.....the chemo made his so sick he could not stand to eat. He started smoking pot and put back on 20 lbs!! I am 100% certain the pot allowed him to live at least 18 months longer and live those months way more comfortably. I have an 80 yo mother with Alzheimer's and we giver her special brownies to mitigate the fits of irrational anger.

I love that pot is the thing that's finally going to bring everyone together in COJ.

2017-02-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama

Crap!!

:-)

2017-02-24 12:26 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stacers

I love that pot is the thing that's finally going to bring everyone together in COJ.

2017-02-24 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Yes lets put our standing as the most imprisoned nation on earth out of reach! Of course the real cynic in me realizes this would put more of one voting constituency away more than the other....
2017-02-24 3:40 PM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Pro
Tejas
Would like to see it legalized too. We would become the world's supplier in less than 6 months. In 9 months, Texas would have catapults on OUR side of the border, launching bales of weed into Mexico. Bet that border wall would become a top priority for Mexico at that point...
2017-02-26 7:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I am unsure the fed can do anything about medical marijuana. But those states that have legalized it do run afoul of the fact that is is a Schedule I drug. This gives the Fed the right to crack down on state laws that run contrary to that. With that said, I have no idea how the GOP and the "states rights" folks can do this without sounding an hypocrisy horn very loudly. The establishment of recreational marijuana was done through a democratic process and adopted by (to my memory) wide margins. Not that the gov't isn't quite capable of hypocrisy, but this one will be beyond blatant.

Oh, Lefty, smoking dope was the least of Jerry's problems.

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-02-26 7:37 AM
2017-02-26 8:21 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy  Oh, Lefty, smoking dope was the least of Jerry's problems.

I agree with that, but the world was a better place with him in it.  Side note.....my wife followed The Dead around the country for 2 years when she was a kid.....now she and my 16 year old liberal hippy kid make a few shows a year when they tour.  They don't let me go...which is fine, because I don't take them fishing.

2017-02-26 10:40 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

The feds could imprison pregnant women who smoke pot and give them hard labor.

2017-02-27 8:00 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by SevenZulu

LOL

I has to really suck for someone to be in prison now for something that is legal in several states.

I totally agree it is a state's rights issue. The federal government has use the interstate commerce clause to strip states of rights.
2017-02-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

LOL I has to really suck for someone to be in prison now for something that is legal in several states. I totally agree it is a state's rights issue. The federal government has use the interstate commerce clause to strip states of rights.

The Federal govt. is not in the drug enforcement business.....they are in the asset forfeiture business. Period.

2017-02-27 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

LOL I has to really suck for someone to be in prison now for something that is legal in several states. I totally agree it is a state's rights issue. The federal government has use the interstate commerce clause to strip states of rights.

The Federal govt. is not in the drug enforcement business.....they are in the asset forfeiture business. Period.

Your cynicism is showing! Someone needs to tell the DEA they are not in the drug law enforcement bidness.....

"The mission of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is to enforce the controlled substances laws and regulations of the United States and bring to the criminal and civil justice system of the United States, or any other competent jurisdiction, those organizations and principal members of organizations, involved in the growing, manufacture, or distribution of controlled substances appearing in or destined for illicit traffic in the United States; and to recommend and support non-enforcement programs aimed at reducing the availability of illicit controlled substances on the domestic and international markets."
2017-02-27 4:24 PM

User image

Unfortunately, the Feds are the only ones in the asset forfeiture business.  Many counties, sheriff's departments, municipalities, and local police forces supplement their budgets with asset forfeiture - some entities get a large proportion of their funds from asset forfeiture.  

I have little problem with criminal asset forfeiture which requires a criminal conviction and proof (burden on the Gov't) that the assets were gained through illicit activity. Civil asset forfeiture is much different and should not be allowed, IMHO.

2017-02-27 6:01 PM

User image

Pro

Man.....look at all that dope!!! 

I could tell you a story or two about my cynicism. LMAO

Edited by Left Brain 2017-02-27 6:02 PM
2017-02-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

Unfortunately, the Feds are the only ones in the asset forfeiture business.  Many counties, sheriff's departments, municipalities, and local police forces supplement their budgets with asset forfeiture - some entities get a large proportion of their funds from asset forfeiture.  

I have little problem with criminal asset forfeiture which requires a criminal conviction and proof (burden on the Gov't) that the assets were gained through illicit activity. Civil asset forfeiture is much different and should not be allowed, IMHO.

No, it's the Feds.  Most states require local and state asset forfeitures go to the schools, etc.  We get around that by staffing Federal Task forces in the DEA, ATF, FBI, etc.  That way we can run the forfeitures through the Federal agencis on an 80/20 split.  80% for us, 20% for the Feds. 

Both sides of the "war on drugs" is simply about money.  ESPECIALLY marijuana.  Almost nobody is criminally prosecuted on the federal level for weed.....but man is it a cash bonanza.

2017-02-28 8:40 AM

User image

No, it's the Feds.  Most states require local and state asset forfeitures go to the schools, etc.  We get around that by staffing Federal Task forces in the DEA, ATF, FBI, etc.  That way we can run the forfeitures through the Federal agencis on an 80/20 split.  80% for us, 20% for the Feds. 

Both sides of the "war on drugs" is simply about money.  ESPECIALLY marijuana.  Almost nobody is criminally prosecuted on the federal level for weed.....but man is it a cash bonanza.

Although Missouri requires money to do to education, most states do not.  The law enforcement agencies keep 100% of forfeiture funds in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, and Arkansas...(that's just the states beginning with the letter A).  Many more states allow the law enforcement agencies to keep a percentage California - 65%, Colorado - 50%, Connecticut - 60%...

I wholeheartedly agree that the failed war on drugs is primarily about money.  Many local agencies run forfeiture through the feds to avoid the state laws which require money to go into designated funds - they'd rather have 80% in their coffers than zero.  There is a push for reform on the state level, however there is noticeable and organized resistance from the agencies which benefit most from the forfeited funds.

2017-02-28 9:43 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Although Missouri requires money to do to education, most states do not.  The law enforcement agencies keep 100% of forfeiture funds in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, and Arkansas...(that's just the states beginning with the letter A).  Many more states allow the law enforcement agencies to keep a percentage California - 65%, Colorado - 50%, Connecticut - 60%...

I wholeheartedly agree that the failed war on drugs is primarily about money.  Many local agencies run forfeiture through the feds to avoid the state laws which require money to go into designated funds - they'd rather have 80% in their coffers than zero.  There is a push for reform on the state level, however there is noticeable and organized resistance from the agencies which benefit most from the forfeited funds.

Yeah, it's not widely known that Obama tried to stop it altogether last year.  In fact, all equitable sharing of seized assets was stopped for a period of time.  There was basically a mutiny from local departments, across the country, providing task force officers to the feds........it ended up being put back in place.  Nobody can tell me the "war on drugs" in not about money when the enforcement threatens to dry up once the money stops.  I've always been a proponent of calling it exactly what it is.......taking money from drug proceeds.....but no, we're fighting a "war".  LMAO

Let's legalize it, take the tax proceeds, and move on.  There is no war.

2017-02-28 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

O.k.  So I will look at this from a different perspective.  

I do think it should be legalized...  But...

As someone living in Colorado,I do have some issues with legalized pot.  I hate the smell of Cigarettes, and I hate the smell of pot even more.  I am truly sad that you can't go anywhere without smelling pot now a days.  I was leaving the Mall the other day and the parking garage smelled like pot.  I was going to my daughters dance competition and smelled pot near the Auditorium.  I turned into my neighborhood the other day and the corner house reeked of pot.  You can't even go to any outdoor festivals because people are smoking pot.  I've seen people smoking in their cars.  Many of my favorite running trails seem to have lots of pot smokers on them.  I don't enjoy going to concerts anymore because even in indoor arenas people are smoking pot.  It sucks.

Yes, there are laws about where you can smoke, but guess what, people that smoke pot don't care.  And cops don't feel it's worth it to enforce the law.  So people like me who don't drink, don't smoke and don't do drugs suffer a decrease in my quality of life, and honestly I find myself furious that I have to put up with this stuff.

For the first time, I've considered moving from Colorado because it probably won't ever get better.

2017-02-28 3:02 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by velocomp

people like me who don't drink, don't smoke and don't do drugs

Let's be honest......your quality of life was pretty low before pot got legalized.

You have made a good point......that would suck to smell it everywhere.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-02-28 3:03 PM
2017-03-01 8:30 AM
in reply to: #5214321

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Mr. Sessions is out of touch with science and the continued increase of public acceptance. He came have his opinion but it is factually incorrect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeff-sessions-warns-america-mar...
2017-03-01 8:34 AM
in reply to: #5214745

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Velocomp, I understand you distaste for the smell and people breaking the rules. I'm wondering if it is the leading edge and the volume would drop over time as it no longer is a novelty and becomes a normal way of life. Also if it becomes legalized in more states the tourism Colorado is getting would drop and possibly so would the number of people smoking in illegal places. Just a thought.
2017-03-01 8:46 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by crowny2

Velocomp, I understand you distaste for the smell and people breaking the rules. I'm wondering if it is the leading edge and the volume would drop over time as it no longer is a novelty and becomes a normal way of life. Also if it becomes legalized in more states the tourism Colorado is getting would drop and possibly so would the number of people smoking in illegal places. Just a thought.

Good point. And you won't have people moving from Alabama to the mile "high" city as in a previous post of mine.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Marijuana..... Rss Feed  

of 2