General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Share a story of human decency in triathlon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-02-28 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Share a story of human decency in triathlon!
For every person who knocks your helmet off of your bike in transition and drips all over your socks, there are two who stop to help you with a mechanical problem or inspire you start running again when you've slowed to a walk.

Please share your story of strangers you have encountered in the sport of triathlon who have gone out of their way to be decent human beings.

Thanks in advance! If you send me a personal message with your real name and city, I'll include your story in a compilation article on the site and the monthly newsletter.

2017-03-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: Share a story of human decency in triathlon!
Not a specific instance, but I appreciate when other competitors say encouraging things during the race. Under normal circumstances, phrases like "have a nice day" don't necessarily mean much. But for people running or biking at a significant percentage of threshold, sparing some breath to uplift a fellow racer takes on a lot more meaning. "I have barely enough air for my physiologic needs at this point, but I'm going to use some of it to be nice." This happens multiple times in every race I'm in and I always appreciate it.
2017-03-02 8:24 PM

User image

My friend and coworker decided to do a try-a-tri. She tried to train as much as she could but her young children prevented her from putting in as many training hours as she would have liked. On the day of the race, she was a little nervous but was determined to finish. She got through the swim and the bike but was exhausted by the beginning of the run. She ran a short way and then jerked into a slow walk muttering, "I can't do this." Another triathlete running past her heard her and stopped. She promised that she would walk with her the whole way to make sure that she finished. She encouraged her and lifted her spirits. My friend gathered her courage and pushed herself into a run and finished the race.
2017-03-25 9:39 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

In my first season racing I did a women's only triathlon.  There were some younger girls also racing, not quite sure of the lowest age limit but I think she may have been middle school age.  On the bike course she had some difficulty--I honestly don't recall if she had a flat or fell....but I remember a large number of women stopping to check on her as if she was their child. 

Also in that first season, my first open water race.  I got to the race site and went in for a practice swim to find my goggles were broken and leaking terribly.  A volunteer loaned me hers.  I distinctly remember handing them off to my family as I went through T1 so they could give them back to her. 

I am part of a large group that formed after the death of a local elite runner (killed while training for the Boston Marathon by a drunk driver).  We have a motto that we RUN AS ONE.  At the Richmond marathon, we are there loud and proud cheering on every finisher--from the speedy elites to the folks ho just make the cut off. Some of the crew will finish their own races then double back out on the course to run in with others who may be struggling to complete.  

2017-03-27 3:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

I have competed in IM Switzerland a couple of time and never had a decent result .... its a  bit of a boggy race for me. The first time mike back went off during the bike, which resulted in one of the longest days of suffering I have ever experienced. However, it is my  2nd attempt at the race need to highlight here,

IM Switzerland 2013 and it was hot, dam hot.

The whole race was going well, an enjoyable non-wetsuit  swim in the clear waters of lake Zurich, a reasonable (for me) first lap on the bike, but all the time the temperature was rising and I was to caught up in my race to be sensible enough to take appropriate action. The first hill on the 2nd lap it hit me, I was cooking in my own juices. By the time I hit the 2nd hill, i was all over the road. 

Two-thirds up the hill I ground to a halt and the world tipped on its side. 

Within second local spectators had helped me off the road and into the shade of a tree. Even rescuing my bike They did not know me - I was just a mad Brit in skull and crossbones, but they came to my help.

Next the same locals saved my day and my race. 3 of them had produced watering cans and started to water me down, like i was a prise rose patch. just a little at first, then more and more until it had cooled me and brought me back into myself. They insisted I stayed sitting in the shade for a while longer while I drank enough to re-hydrate. but then they waved me off on my race.

It was the slowest bike leg of any IM i have ever raced, but due to the help of a bunch of strangers on a overly-hot hill in Switzerland - I  finished - not a pretty finish - but a finish all the same

Will

Edited by WildWill 2017-03-27 3:57 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Share a story of human decency in triathlon! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'd like to share my story

Started by californiawill
Views: 3185 Posts: 16

2010-09-16 2:41 PM Batlou

Share an odd/interesting/weird story from your race

Started by Apotheosis
Views: 1427 Posts: 17

2010-05-18 3:34 PM Karibu

Share your funny IM training stories

Started by dlink
Views: 1542 Posts: 17

2008-06-11 7:40 PM KSH

spinoff: share your embarrassing clipless pedal accident stories :) Pages: 1 2

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 2926 Posts: 39

2008-05-22 11:12 PM ForrestGump

Please share your HR training success stories

Started by danielle860
Views: 2247 Posts: 12

2006-08-18 4:48 PM danielle860
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Blind obedience to a goal? Or the bliss of feeling the way you want?

date : April 28, 2016
author : Lkalinosky
Could you do a tri with a titanium rod in your spine?
date : January 30, 2016
author : mmielnic
comments : 2
I ran my first triathlon and loved it!

date : March 20, 2014
author : tri342
comments : 2
When I found out there was going to be a small sprint triathlon in a month, I signed up and I decided I would try to do my best.
date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : October 10, 2004
author : FIN16
comments : 1
The human body can endure extreme physical hardships but a trained, confident mind can endure much more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Several years ago, I got the urge to do a triathlon. When my second pregnancy occurred almost immediately following the first, I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I would never get around to.