General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-03-03 2:36 PM

User image

Subject: It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk
Its like a poor 15 year old dog that can't see, can barely walk and just sleeps most of the time. When it's not pooping in your kitchen. I'll take the heat for saying it. Just put TT out of its misery. If you look through the last few pages of threads most have what 4 or 5 replies. The only thread that had any legs was because some thought TG was shilling. I know it's all been discussed before. Both tri topics (everything has been discussed at length) and "the decline of BT". I am definitely in the camp of the mentor groups and too many sub forums broke this place up to much. So my suggestion now is mercy kill everything but the mentor groups and just make this site : beginner triathlete mentor groups . com ! Own it. Just a thought. Something needs to budge. Too many people here with good advice for this place to be so quiet. I'll await the 4 or 5 responses.

2017-03-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: #5214927

New user
Subject: RE: It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk
What about newbie questions?(or any question) If you don't have a main forum page, would you go to just one mentor group to ask a question? Or rewrite the question to each mentor group?
2017-03-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

When you join as a newbie you would be directed to join a group so you can ask questions. Or just use search function to go through old threads. Open to ideas.
2017-03-03 5:34 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

I've been doing triathlons four years. I love Triathlon Talk. It's my resource as I live in a small town with limited resources nearby.
2017-03-03 7:31 PM
in reply to: #5214929

User image

I read the forums most days and contribute when I feel I can provide advice or a different perspective. Not everyone wants a "mentor". I learn a lot for just reading on the site.

It is a treat when Tom Gerlach posts because he is taking time away from his job (triathlon) to provide his insight to a Beginner website. I really enjoy reading race reports and hear about other athletes struggles and conquests.

A lot of time I just need some extra motivation. I spend a fair amount of time on Slowtwitch too, but people on this site are nowhere near as judgemental as ST.

I have been racing for 4 years, and although I am firmly in the MOP (Middle Of the Pack), I still love the forums. I think it is probably the off-season for a lot of us (as it is for me - Michigan residence), and I tend to be more active during the season.

If this site turned into only Mentor Groups and Classifieds, I venture to guess I would stop coming here.

Be patient...activity will hopefully pick up.
2017-03-04 2:32 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

Originally posted by Jeff B

I read the forums most days and contribute when I feel I can provide advice or a different perspective. Not everyone wants a "mentor". I learn a lot for just reading on the site.

It is a treat when Tom Gerlach posts because he is taking time away from his job (triathlon) to provide his insight to a Beginner website. I really enjoy reading race reports and hear about other athletes struggles and conquests.

A lot of time I just need some extra motivation. I spend a fair amount of time on Slowtwitch too, but people on this site are nowhere near as judgemental as ST.

I have been racing for 4 years, and although I am firmly in the MOP (Middle Of the Pack), I still love the forums. I think it is probably the off-season for a lot of us (as it is for me - Michigan residence), and I tend to be more active during the season.

If this site turned into only Mentor Groups and Classifieds, I venture to guess I would stop coming here.

Be patient...activity will hopefully pick up.

X2

2017-03-04 3:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

It's certainly quiet around TT these days.  Time to stick a fork it and declare done?  Probably. I won't go into the reasons for BT forum decline, since that's been beaten to death before.

But if that happened, I'd never visit again. I don't do the mentor groups; never have.  I don't care about classified.  So that'd be the end of BT for me.

Edited by brucemorgan 2017-03-04 3:40 AM
2017-03-04 7:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Its like a poor 15 year old dog that can't see, can barely walk and just sleeps most of the time. When it's not pooping in your kitchen. I'll take the heat for saying it. Just put TT out of its misery. If you look through the last few pages of threads most have what 4 or 5 replies. The only thread that had any legs was because some thought TG was shilling. I know it's all been discussed before. Both tri topics (everything has been discussed at length) and "the decline of BT". I am definitely in the camp of the mentor groups and too many sub forums broke this place up to much. So my suggestion now is mercy kill everything but the mentor groups and just make this site : beginner triathlete mentor groups . com ! Own it. Just a thought. Something needs to budge. Too many people here with good advice for this place to be so quiet. I'll await the 4 or 5 responses.

First of all I don't think the mentor groups killed TT. TT had a problem that drove people to the mentor groups that killed TT. But TT had the problem to start with and if you want to fix the problem, fix that.

Just mentor groups will not be good for the person just joining and not knowing where to go. Picking a group will be a little overwhelming (IMO)

A good board needs great content and it has to be pleasant to be there. ST has great content (technical) but it isn't always pleasant. This place was somewhat pleasant, despite a few trolls, but IMO the content leaves a little to be desired. I think both TT, Mentor groups and the way moderation is done needs to be reviewed.

Then again it all depends on what the board owners are seeking and how much they want to invest. Many in the industry are not willing to invest because they don't see a return on their investment. Triathlon is booming in parts of the world and there is significant investment there. Maybe this forum doesn't cater to that demographic.

It would be a sign that they are willing to fix things if the moderators/owners chimed in.

2017-03-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Jeff B

I I think it is probably the off-season for a lot of us (as it is for me - Michigan residence), and I tend to be more active during the season.

Yup. Late in the off-season, too. The usual end-of-season reflections and other off-season topics have pretty well run their course, but the ramp-up to the next season hasn't really started. Here in Winterlandia, even though it's been a milder one than usual, we're still in "survival mode;" riding the trainer, hitting the treadmill, occasionally trekking to the nearest overcrowded indoor pool to get some laps in, all while trying, not always successfully, to avoid whatever cold or flu virus is making the rounds. Our anti-social sentiment is at it's seasonal peak.

Well, I'd do an occasional quick scan of the classifieds, but that would be it.

Edited by gary p 2017-03-04 8:36 AM
2017-03-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about "a good board". That's what I was looking for. As Bruce said it's not worth rehashing why there was a decline. Might not be worth discussing this at all. I also think TT serves a great purpose. I disagree somewhat on the mentor groups. What they've evolved into has changed the siite IMO. I think they serve a purpose and without all the other sub forums would probably still work. Regarding content here vs ST you're right. At least for me I'd rather post here and try to help someone new as opposed to things discussed there. But find myself only checking the forum here once a week because it's most likely crickets. Not due to disinterest. Mostly I'm curious if anyone still thinks maybe some changes should be made. Or if as someone said , "wait and see". [i wish my phone would let me use paragraphs]
2017-03-04 9:21 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

BT has been on a slow slow slow decline. Most everything has moved to the Facebook. Facebook built a better mouse trap that is more engaging and is your one stop shop for all things social, news, hobbies etc. I think the interesting thing is why has Slowtwitch survived while BT has gone the way of the DODO.

2017-03-04 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
. ST has great content (technical) but it isn't always pleasant. This place was somewhat pleasant, despite a few trolls, but IMO the content leaves a little to be desired. I think both TT, Mentor groups and the way moderation is done needs to be reviewed.

Interesting. Do you think that while sometimes unpleasant that the *drama* actually provides a sense of excitement? Could it be the *be nice* attitude of BT has lead to less than thrilling discussions??? In my own personal relationships I have found drama-free ones don't last neither do totally drama-filled ones. It seems to be the ones that have some drama that have the most legs.
2017-03-04 9:54 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Its like a poor 15 year old dog that can't see, can barely walk and just sleeps most of the time. When it's not pooping in your kitchen. I'll take the heat for saying it. Just put TT out of its misery. If you look through the last few pages of threads most have what 4 or 5 replies. The only thread that had any legs was because some thought TG was shilling. I know it's all been discussed before. Both tri topics (everything has been discussed at length) and "the decline of BT". I am definitely in the camp of the mentor groups and too many sub forums broke this place up to much. So my suggestion now is mercy kill everything but the mentor groups and just make this site : beginner triathlete mentor groups . com ! Own it. Just a thought. Something needs to budge. Too many people here with good advice for this place to be so quiet. I'll await the 4 or 5 responses.

I think your viewing it from the eyes of what used to be and not a person who is new to BT and doesn't know it any other way. There used to be a lot more replies to questions in tri talk but there was also a lot of really bad advice and totally off topic replies. I remember asking a very specific question about swimming more which led to me defending my reasoning for wanting to swim to someone who insisted I needed to ride more. WTH? I'm not asking about biking, I feel like swimming. 

I agree I wish there was more traffic but is that because it would be more helpful to the people asking questions or is that because it would be entertaining to me? Are the new members asking questions getting helpful answers? I'm not really sure because I don't frequent this part of the site very often anymore either.  

2017-03-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Its like a poor 15 year old dog that can't see, can barely walk and just sleeps most of the time. When it's not pooping in your kitchen. I'll take the heat for saying it. Just put TT out of its misery. If you look through the last few pages of threads most have what 4 or 5 replies. The only thread that had any legs was because some thought TG was shilling. I know it's all been discussed before. Both tri topics (everything has been discussed at length) and "the decline of BT". I am definitely in the camp of the mentor groups and too many sub forums broke this place up to much. So my suggestion now is mercy kill everything but the mentor groups and just make this site : beginner triathlete mentor groups . com ! Own it. Just a thought. Something needs to budge. Too many people here with good advice for this place to be so quiet. I'll await the 4 or 5 responses.
BT has been on a slow slow slow decline. Most everything has moved to the Facebook. Facebook built a better mouse trap that is more engaging and is your one stop shop for all things social, news, hobbies etc. I think the interesting thing is why has Slowtwitch survived while BT has gone the way of the DODO.

This ^^^ I got a lot of great advice in the mentor groups. My core group split from BT and created a private FB group. My local tri group created a FB group. My local cycling group created a FB group. I was invited to join a ladies only very large FB group. 

That said, I lurked in tri talk for a very long time before I ever joined a mentor group. 

2017-03-04 10:43 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by brucemorgan

It's certainly quiet around TT these days.  Time to stick a fork it and declare done?  Probably. I won't go into the reasons for BT forum decline, since that's been beaten to death before.

But if that happened, I'd never visit again. I don't do the mentor groups; never have.  I don't care about classified.  So that'd be the end of BT for me.

X2 for me as well. I think back about 5 years ago when Bryan Dunn was still on and TT was alot of fun and provided great technical information, and humor.
2017-03-04 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia

There you have it, you have generated a thread already with 3 times the responses you expected

2017-03-04 12:16 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

. ST has great content (technical) but it isn't always pleasant. This place was somewhat pleasant, despite a few trolls, but IMO the content leaves a little to be desired. I think both TT, Mentor groups and the way moderation is done needs to be reviewed.

Interesting. Do you think that while sometimes unpleasant that the *drama* actually provides a sense of excitement? Could it be the *be nice* attitude of BT has lead to less than thrilling discussions??? In my own personal relationships I have found drama-free ones don't last neither do totally drama-filled ones. It seems to be the ones that have some drama that have the most legs.

Yes a little drama can be good and I do appreciate that some of the posters have a certain amount of character. Some of the stuff is funny. But some cross the line and are just first class douches. The problem with some of the extreme douches is that some really competent and qualified people no longer want to participate. There was a time when guys like Damon or Skiba were on the forum but they don't anymore. I know some manufacturers who just stay away. One of the threads on Lionel for example brought out some of the a-holes. And sure enough, why do you think Lionel doesn't post anymore ?

But all in all I prefer an environment where BS and bad advice will be called out. I would just like to see a little more civility at times. I always thought non anonymous posting would make this a bit better.

And yes, there are people that intentionally try to stir the pot. I head a few on TRS radio last year :-)

2017-03-04 12:45 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

See you're part of the problem! Kidding. So my question would be does someone new here to view TT as a side show you might get an answer to? In doc the reasons I think the mentor groups are detrimental are I've noticed at times people ask a question in TT then don't engage in the thread. But retreat back to mentor group and discuss it. I think that part of where the trend came about to start a thread and then disappear. I noticed it last summer when looking to see if the people asking questions ever came back. I found a few of them in their groups. As you pointed out if that's the way it's going to be vs how I view it was then so be it.
2017-03-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

I'll be happier if it gets to page 2 ??
2017-03-04 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by marcag I would just like to see a little more civility at times. I always thought non anonymous posting would make this a bit better. And yes, there are people that intentionally try to stir the pot.

At the risk of re-litigating a closed case, the "be nice" was asymmetrical warfare.  The trolls stirred the pot, and the non-trolls said "I don't need this in my life" and left.  Troll / non-troll ratio increased.  A few years ago multi-page posts still had real content on the last few pages.  But in recent years, if there was a multi-page post it was nearly certain that the last page was full of name-calling and "I'm a bigger expert than you".  contests by people who don't use their real name and don't include their city.

2017-03-04 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5214927

New user
But isn't ST full of trolls/douches? I don't know any real #s, but despite them, the interest and the traffic seem strong and steady there. Come on page 2.

2017-03-04 4:57 PM
in reply to: #5215024

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Congratulations! Page 2!

So I've been here for a while and recently just got active again, joined a mentor group and have posted a little more. I am constantly scanning the forums and there is very little new content being added. I know for me I posted something a while ago, got a couple of short answers but no real discussion. The one thing I did notice that has been bothering me is this. I became a paying member of the site to use some of the training plans as they seem wonderful. I was trying to put my race list together using this site and I couldn't find any races for this year. I emailed support and spoke with a wonderful lady who told me even they were being lazy about updating the races. It literally left a sinking feeling with me. Maybe they have added them and I don't know what I'm doing, who knows. But when support tells you they are being lazy about things on the sight, it doesn't sit well with me.
2017-03-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5215030

User image

Davenort, Iowa
They have added them now...it was back in January that I was emailing about the races.
2017-03-04 5:56 PM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Originally posted by Rooster519Congratulations! Page 2! So I've been here for a while and recently just got active again, joined a mentor group and have posted a little more. I am constantly scanning the forums and there is very little new content being added. I know for me I posted something a while ago, got a couple of short answers but no real discussion. The one thing I did notice that has been bothering me is this. I became a paying member of the site to use some of the training plans as they seem wonderful. I was trying to put my race list together using this site and I couldn't find any races for this year. I emailed support and spoke with a wonderful lady who told me even they were being lazy about updating the races. It literally left a sinking feeling with me. Maybe they have added them and I don't know what I'm doing, who knows. But when support tells you they are being lazy about things on the sight, it doesn't sit well with me.
Perfect example! Putting together a race schedule is a great thread. But if you go to full distance for a question on a 140.6, then maybe to a state forum, for a local race or to a mentor group. It's all over the place. You're also a better example because you pay to use this site. Unlike a free loader like me. So what, if any changes would you like to see ?
2017-03-04 9:33 PM
in reply to: #5215031

User image

Davenort, Iowa
That's a difficult question to answer, because there is no simple answer. I'm not sure a format change will help make the forums even better. The mentor program confused me a bit and I wasnt sure how to properly use it, or why to expect when I first signed up as part of a group. I also don't think that getting rid or TT is a good option.

Before my first tri a few years ago I spent a lot of time searching the forums both here and ST. Earlier this year when I paid and started using the site more I realized how vacant they were, and it was disappointing. I posted a few things but not much sustainable content.

I just want more activity. I can only speak for myself in that I don't always search forums for professional advice if you will, but more for opinions of those who have done this before. To read and form an opinion based off of both good and bad advice.

What I'm trying to say is the only way this forum gets more active is if we become more active. Kind of like a be the change you want to see, type of thing. I'm sure that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but it's what I have. I enjoy the much about this site already, just wish it was more active.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

I think it's time we talked about lube...

Started by Blastman
Views: 1884 Posts: 9

2013-07-12 6:14 AM Oysterboy

WTC doing away with mass starts at races - Discuss Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by ChrisM
Views: 10373 Posts: 143

2013-03-21 3:47 PM tri808

Average times are slower and it's time to "restore speed" Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 3125 Posts: 32

2012-11-14 5:18 AM mattramirez

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1842 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Doing Triathlons in a different time zone

Started by iwantotri
Views: 772 Posts: 5

2007-08-28 11:10 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.