General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Change tires / tubes or not Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-03 7:12 PM

User image

Subject: To Change tires / tubes or not
Most of my riding is done on indoor trainer ~ 85-90%.

I keep a separate bike on trainer , my race tri bike sees little action. I purchased new tires tubes about 8 months ago for my outdoor tri bike , probably less than 400 overall miles on them. Will put an additional couple hundred outdoor miles this month

Half iron galvestion coming up in a month - should I change tires prior, or is it over kill? My goal is to reduce chance of flatting.

I keep my tri bike out in the garage , it's fairly humid - houston area.

Appreciate your input also any recomendation on fast flat averse tires are always welcome

Current tires are specialized roubaix.

2017-03-03 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5214959

User image

Subject: RE: To Change tires / tubes or not
I would just inspect the tires for any puncture holes or cracks in the side wall. If anything, you would probably pop a tube. For $6 each, I would replace the tubes to be safe.

Just my $0.02
2017-03-03 11:15 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

tires are fine, put in latex tubes.

2017-03-04 7:31 AM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Stuckinthemiddle

Appreciate your input also any recomendation on fast flat averse tires are always welcome

Current tires are specialized roubaix.

Here there is an article on rolling resistance
http://bikeblather.blogspot.ca/

Here is the spreashsheet with results
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qQrXymedOYtKfRKwIDpaxvfCac6J...

Down near the bottom you will find the Roubaix pro. It needs 29watts at 30km/h just to overcome rolling resistace

A tire such as the GP4000s requires 21watts and you will find other tires that require a bit less but that may make compromises on puncture proofness

That's 8watts. That's about 5% of a 160w which is what many beginner cyclists have their threshold at and what many MOPers race a half at.

As stated, latex tubes will buy you another few watts.

Do the math and you will come out to a couple of minutes on a HIM.
2017-03-04 12:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Down near the bottom you will find the Roubaix pro. It needs 29watts at 30km/h just to overcome rolling resistace

A tire such as the GP4000s requires 21watts and you will find other tires that require a bit less but that may make compromises on puncture proofness

That's 8watts. That's about 5% of a 160w which is what many beginner cyclists have their threshold at and what many MOPers race a half at.

8 watts is huge for me. Do latex tubes generally hold up as well as butyl (?) in bumpy conditions? There are some bumpy patches on the galvestion 70.3 as I understand it.

That might be the way to go,,, get some new tires/tubes for the race season then put the current tires on my trainer rig. It eats tires like candy
2017-03-04 12:21 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Stuckinthemiddle

Originally posted by marcag

8 watts is huge for me. Do latex tubes generally hold up as well as butyl (?) in bumpy conditions? There are some bumpy patches on the galvestion 70.3 as I understand it.

That might be the way to go,,, get some new tires/tubes for the race season then put the current tires on my trainer rig. It eats tires like candy

I did Galveston once and I didn't find it particularly bumpy. But anyways, latex holds up just fine. Some people say they are more temperamental to install which I never found. I inflate them slightly before putting them on the rim and I never broke them

2017-03-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I think Galveston is pretty normal, road wise (raced alongside Marc a couple years back - waves).  I ran 4000s's and don't recall being concerned about the surface.

For the trainer, though, I'd strongly recommend a trainer tire.  They're not that expensive and if you already keep a dedicated trainer rig, you'll be able to just run that tire for a loooooooong time.  I have a few thousand "miles" on my current trainer tire (on a wheel from an old bike) and it's still going like a Timex (hope that's not too anachronistic a reference).

They can be something of a beatch to install, is all (I'm still procrastinating putting one on my wife's bike).

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Change tires / tubes or not Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

change out tires or not?

Started by starfoxy
Views: 696 Posts: 5

2012-03-13 9:28 PM metafizx

New tires and tubes or just latex tubes?

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1502 Posts: 9

2011-08-05 1:19 PM the bear

Bike Consideration .. to change or not to change

Started by SWFLFATGUY
Views: 478 Posts: 1

2011-02-22 8:12 AM SWFLFATGUY

Rental wheels - changing tubes/tires

Started by acumenjay
Views: 816 Posts: 3

2010-08-17 3:42 AM rexcoltrain

Bubble in bike tire, not the tube.

Started by Yzer
Views: 3194 Posts: 6

2009-09-17 9:43 PM Yzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.