General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position hurts my shoulders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-06 2:15 PM

User image

Subject: Aero position hurts my shoulders
I recently bought a used triathlon bike, my first. Used the Fast Bike Fit App this weekend to try to get in the ballpark with a basic position profile. Here's the video of my first trial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcithKZbmgs

Based on feedback I got from a couple locations, I lowered the seat about a cm from where it was in the above video.

I tried to do my first actual workout on the bike this morning and am having a problem with shoulder pain in the aero position. Specifically at the front of my shoulders, in the area of the long biceps tendon. The aero bars were in the most inward position to start, but the pads were at the widest position relative to the aero bars. It hurt right away. I moved the aero bars out ~ 2cm each, only got a little relief. Moved them out as far as they'd go (about another ~2 cm each), and it helped a little, but not much. I started uncomfortable, but within 5 minutes discomfort grew to pain again. I really couldn't hold aero position for much more than that. Tried different vertical angles for the aerobars, but it made no appreciable difference. I was very conscious not to be gripping the bars. I had my hands in a relaxed position over the ends, and minimal tension in my forearms (unlike in the original video).

So, is this a common issue for someone new to a triathlon/TT bike? Do I just need to get acclimated to the position? Are there stretches I should be doing? Or is it possible I'm just too broad shouldered for the range of position available with this base bar/aerobar position? FWIW, I come from a competitive swimming background and, while not extreme, do have the prototypical "broad shouldered swimmer's physique"....well, except for the 6 pack which hasn't been seen in a number of years.

Couldn't get any video this morning, but maybe tomorrow I can get some head-on footage, weather permitting. I have to be able to open the garage door to get enough light in.

Thoughts?

Edited by gary p 2017-03-06 2:16 PM

2017-03-07 6:46 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Aero position hurts my shoulders
Hard to tell from the video, but I have a feeling that your reach might be too short. You are quite upright (which works really well for some people, so don't necessarily think you have to change), which shortens the reach. Shoulder pain commonly stems from insufficient skeletal support, basically your fit forces you to muscular support.
2017-03-07 7:57 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Can you post new videos of the adjusted position, both from the side and the front?

2017-03-31 12:02 PM

Hi Gary,

Of course a full bike fit session would reveal a lot more. Sounds like you have tried a couple of things on the front end adjustment. First glance looks like your seat maybe too high, which it's all connected. Try moving it down to where your bare heel can touch the pedal at the bottom of stroke without dropping your hip down. You may be surprised that your front end discomfort gets better. Let me know how it works, [email protected] Cheers!
2017-03-31 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I will not go into detail on body position or fit since others will have more knowledge on that subject. I can tell you there is an adjustment period to get body adapted to the Tri bike. I had a road bike with aero bars and was shocked at how my body felt on the Tri bike. My entire upper body was sore from a short ride and I thought I wasted $3,000.

My body adjusted to the Tri bike after a few rides and I haven't looked back. I can stay in aero position for 30-45 minutes without any issues.

I have somewhat broad shoulders from weight lifting background so that shouldn't be an issue for you.
2017-03-31 5:05 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Originally posted by GODAWGS

I will not go into detail on body position or fit since others will have more knowledge on that subject. I can tell you there is an adjustment period to get body adapted to the Tri bike. I had a road bike with aero bars and was shocked at how my body felt on the Tri bike. My entire upper body was sore from a short ride and I thought I wasted $3,000.

My body adjusted to the Tri bike after a few rides and I haven't looked back. I can stay in aero position for 30-45 minutes without any issues.

I have somewhat broad shoulders from weight lifting background so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

In hindsight, I overreacted. To be fair, though, my shoulders hurt for hours after a short ride that first day. I worked on some stretching and incrementally increased the time in aero each ride. I can now do a half hour, more or less, straight. There's discomfort, but not pain. And short course pool racing season isn't quite over, yet, so I'm only getting a couple 45ish minute rides in a week. Once I shift some pool time to more bike time, I expect I'll become more acclimated to the position.

I did end up lowering the seat about a cm. The cards haven't come together yet for another video (has to be a day I'm riding after sunrise, weather's good enough to open the garage door, and my wife doesn't have the tripod with her for some photography class assignment or another), but I will get one soon.

2017-04-01 5:46 AM

Perhaps you should consult a doctor?
2017-04-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #5215199

User image

From personal experience - it took me about two years to get used to the TT position where I'm not suffering 2-3 months of the riding season, after switching from a road bike. My bike was fitted and it was still shoulder/neck agony during the beginning of the season.

Lesson learned, I NEVER go back to riding exclusively road bike in the "off season." I always ride at least 80% TT position - even in the trainer. The last 2 years I have done this the adjustment period to long rides (50+) has been minimal.

Also, personally I find a light weight (as light as you are willing to pay $$$) road style helmet more comfortable for training and save the TT helmet for short races only. Longer races I ride with my road helmet - Personally, it's worth the minimal sacrifice in avg speed for comfort over a HIM distance race.

But everybody is different - other posters told me to do this several years ago here & it worked ... YMMV
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero position hurts my shoulders Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmers shoulder - technique advice

Started by zedzded
Views: 2019 Posts: 11

2016-10-24 2:57 AM zedzded

Height, flexibility and need for aero bars

Started by Caroleena
Views: 3665 Posts: 23

2016-07-21 9:24 PM Caroleena

TT Bike or Aero Road Bike Pages: 1 2

Started by art-gal
Views: 4077 Posts: 26

2016-07-02 5:31 AM Nick B

Help or Hurt - Lifting?

Started by TheNewBlood
Views: 875 Posts: 4

2016-03-13 10:53 PM AdventureBear

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9189 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 3
If anyone can see the front of your shorts, you're doing it wrong.

date : July 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
What you need to do so you don't have to sit up
date : July 31, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Shoulder pain persists long after humerus bone head fracture