General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to TRI. Need guidance and support Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-17 2:03 AM

Subject: New to TRI. Need guidance and support
Hi Tri community

I live in Netherlands and have been training the last 3 months on preparing a 10k race which I finished in 54 min. I know it sounds too much but its an improvement of 5min from my last PR. The training I had was quite ok, 5 times a week and i was including a high intensity RPM (sort of spinning) once a week. This also helped mz to drop weight and feeling much better now.

I have some crazy friends who will do a half Ironman in mid may and i want to join them! Yes it souds crazy but i believe 5 weeks of training could take me to the finish line?

The plan is to do the bike relay and was happy to find someone who will do the swimm so thats a good news and wkll take off some pressure and training hours. However we are missing a runner and im thinking to take the challenge and do both.

I tried this week to do the transition for the first time and did the 45 min RPM (mostly zone 4 and 5) followed by 3km in treadmill and i was ok.

My plan and would really need your opinons on whether this is all feasible or not, is to join a cycling training group in my town and do the following for 5 weeks:
- two outdoor training building distance and duration fron 45 min to probably 1h30min, followed by 30-60 min runs
- one intervall running session focusing on speed
- one long run building on my current training and performance.

How does it sounds guys ?

Cheers
Mehdi

2017-03-18 7:42 AM
in reply to: Mebennani

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: New to TRI. Need guidance and support

First, welcome!  54 min for a 10K is pretty damn good - there are lots of people who would be more than happy with that.

To answer your question - sure it's possible, but just be prepared to walk a considerable part of the half marathon.  I think you could get your run volume up in those 5 weeks to be able to run a standalone half marathon (though I would like a little more background), but after a 56 mile bike ride it will be really tough.  Hopefully over those 5 weeks you'll be able to build up your bike endurance, but 1 hour and 30 minutes is less than half of what the race will require.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, I would focus really hard on the bike, like 4-5 times per week building out to three hours on your long ride, and plan on walking some of the HM.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging...I'm just trying to be realistic and I don't want to see your enthusiasm for the sport wrecked by going for too much, too soon.

Keep us all updated and we'll help where we can.  Good luck!

2017-03-19 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5216082

Subject: RE: New to TRI. Need guidance and support
Thanks Mike. Really helpful. I will start my first outdoor biking next week with a local tri club here and see how it goes and would add 1hour before the group ride or afterwards to build the endurance as you suggest.

For running i was training hard the last 3 months for the 10k race and it was including Yasso workout (up to 2xmile workout). Today I resumed with 3x800 and wand to build up yo 6 or 7x800 in 4 weeks to build the stamina required for the run. At the moment im doing these intervals at 4:35min/km,1 minute faster than my 10k race which was at 5:33 average.

How necessay is to include transition workout in the schedule and how long should the run be after stepping of the bike and at what intensity you would recommend?

Cheers
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to TRI. Need guidance and support Rss Feed