General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 Cycling Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-19 7:37 AM

Subject: 70.3 Cycling Training Plan
Hi All,
Anyone have any advice for structuring a 70.3 cycling training plan?
Im doing my first 70.3 in September and plan to do 3 indoor interval style workouts with one long outdoor ride per week.
In terms of periodisation how would the indoor workouts be best structured through a 24 wk plan. I was thinking of - one 2x20, one sweetspot, one vo2 max session per week.
Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

2017-03-19 10:24 AM
in reply to: Johnnyk1982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: 70.3 Cycling Training Plan
Way back when (2010 I think) a guy named Jorge created a bike training plan that I believe you can still get here on BT.

It was roughly 15 weeks, so it sounds like you have a bit more than that

It went through some cycles of VO2max, to more threshold type work over that period. IIRC, it also had a Sunday long ride that built progressively

If it were me, I want start with that. You will see the pattern of workout progression and you can certainly insert a few extra weeks.

For my first HIM in 2010 I actually started the plan and then decided to be coached by Jorge. My individual plan was pretty close to the one he was giving the group, hence why I think it may be a good starting point.

You may want to extend some sections and modify the last few weeks to do some good hard race simulation rides and depending on the type of racing you are planning so hill climbing workouts for example.
2017-03-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Bronze member

These are the free cycling plans found in the training plan section here. Jorge's has 2 options either train by heart rate or with power meter. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp#

2017-03-19 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member

A free beginner 1/2 IM plan is also available. I think I followed this for my half in 2011 and I had no problems. 

You will probably get more relevant answers if you provide more info about your race goals and cycling experience but here is a link to that plan. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=16&memberlevel=1

Edited by trigal38 2017-03-19 12:53 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 Cycling Training Plan Rss Feed