General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit necessary? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-26 9:09 PM

New user

Subject: Wetsuit necessary?
Im signed up for my first MN tri. I've only competed in FL prior to this. Is a wetsuit really necessary? First tri is early June, followed by mid July and beg of August.
I'm an Athena and having a hard time finding one in my size.
If i must get one, do any plus size athletes have suggestions as to where I might find a good one for sale or rent?

2017-03-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: emmy0417

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wetsuit necessary?

Hi. Normally early June can be quite cold in the lakes, but with such an early ice-out date I suspect you would be fine.  It will be plenty warm enough by July and August.   I assume your races are in the Twin Cities metro area.  If further north I may change my opinion.  If you're not super sensitive, you should not "need" a wetsuit.

I'm also Athena and did like the fit of the Xterra suits.  If you decided to look, I would suggest them. 

2017-04-02 8:19 PM
in reply to: emmy0417

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

I would agree.  Early June is often pretty chilly yet.  If the timeline works for you, maybe hop in the lake that your race will be in shortly before your race and make the determination at that point.  That is, assuming you can either have one delivered on time or you know of a wet suit in a shop close by.

2017-04-04 11:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree with the others, that early June race might be pretty chilly yet, even after this relatively mild winter. The very first race I ever did was the first weekend in June 2004 and the water was only 61 degrees. (But, that winter was colder than this one was, so it's unlikely to be that cold this year.) I'd still consider borrowing or renting if you can. I have never rented so I don't have first hand experience, but I know Gear West rents them:

http://gearwestbike.com/about/wetsuit-rental-pg658.htm

You might also peruse ebay or craiglist and see if you can pick one up cheap. If it's $50 to rent one, you might be able to buy a used one for about that if you look around.

Edited by kelpeng 2017-04-04 11:41 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit necessary? Rss Feed