General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-28 11:33 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Subject: Power Meter
Is it possible to get a good power meter without mortgaging my home? I'm wanting to begin training on the bike using power, but looking through the options it seems to be extremely expensive. Is it worth the return on investment? While dropping $600 may not seem like much to some, to me it is quite a bit as I am on a budget. Is there an inexpensive power meter option?

2017-03-28 11:59 AM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Subject: RE: Power Meter
It depends on what you are looking for. There are 3 basic power meter options: Crank-Based, Hub-Based, Pedal-Based.

From a price perspective, a single-leg Stages Power meter would be the cheapest. You can find them here, Slowtwitch, or eBay for $300 used. There are pros/cons to each.

Here is a nice overview:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/guides/what-to-know-before-buyi...

I personally ride a Quarq since I only have 1 bike, and 1 set of wheels.

If you are just looking for basic power readings, coupled with cadence, Stages would probably work.

Looks like there are 49 available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=stages+power...

Good luck.
2017-03-28 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
you can find used ANT+ powertaps in the $300 range pretty regularly. They are pretty bomb proof (especially when built into a solid training wheel) and easy(ish) to service, and for the most part they stay accurate.
2017-03-28 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Another option is virtual power.  It doesn't help you outside, but if you do a decent amount of trainer riding, it can be a good tool.  It's an inexpensive investment (free with Golden Cheetah, something like $10/month with TrainerRoad) and you can test out if you even like training with power....some people do, some people don't. 

2017-03-28 1:23 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by Jeff B

It depends on what you are looking for. There are 3 basic power meter options: Crank-Based, Hub-Based, Pedal-Based.

From a price perspective, a single-leg Stages Power meter would be the cheapest. You can find them here, Slowtwitch, or eBay for $300 used. There are pros/cons to each.

Here is a nice overview:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/guides/what-to-know-before-buyi...

I personally ride a Quarq since I only have 1 bike, and 1 set of wheels.

If you are just looking for basic power readings, coupled with cadence, Stages would probably work.

Looks like there are 49 available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=stages+power...

Good luck.

That's some great information. Lot to think about.

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Another option is virtual power.  It doesn't help you outside, but if you do a decent amount of trainer riding, it can be a good tool.  It's an inexpensive investment (free with Golden Cheetah, something like $10/month with TrainerRoad) and you can test out if you even like training with power....some people do, some people don't. 

I've been using Zwift for the last month and their virtual power. It's honestly what has got me thinking about training with power. Soon I'll be outside for the majority of my rides and want to have power with me as an option.

Thanks everyone for the info!!
2017-03-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: #5216990

User image

I found an old Powertap unit in a training wheel. Also came with a disc cover for $400. You can find some good deals out there if you can narrow down what you want.

2017-03-29 7:33 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
A note on Stage power meters; if you are using a non drive side crank based stages power meter, you have to make sure it is compatible with your crank. They are VERY specific, so make sure you don't just go buy one. Your crank may not fit any of the Stages PMs. If that is the case, you can buy an entirely new crank from either stages or P2Max for a little more money. However, if you go with this option, you still need to check compatibility to your bottom bracket. Most newer bikes are BB30, but that is certainly not a hard fast rule. Your best bet is to get on the phone with Stage and/or P2Max if you go that way and ask them.
2017-03-29 12:40 PM

User image

Oakville

I started training with virtual power but found that the warm up period of my trainer gave wildly erratic power readings for the first 20 minutes or so of a ride.

I then picked up a used Ant+ PowerTap at a tri swap meet (a G3 I believe) for about $150 which was a great deal and really helped pinpoint my FTP and training targets.

I eventually moved up to a crank based power meter (Power2Max ) because my race wheels are not compatible with the PowerTap hub.  I started to race longer distances and wanted to race based on power rather than HR and RPE.

The Power2Max is great and I highly recommend it, but if you're looking for a cheap power meter then a used PowerTap is the way to go.

2017-03-29 2:20 PM
in reply to: 0

4iiii has a very good one-sided power meter that costs a little less then Stages and performs just as well: https://4iiii-innovations.myshopify.com/collections/power-meters

It is also duel band (ANT+ and BLE) which was a major plus for me since I use Zwift with both a PC and iOS device.

Edited by L0ST0NE 2017-03-29 2:32 PM
2017-03-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: #5216990

User image

Franklin, TN
+1 to Leegoocrap.

If you're budget conscious, it's hard to beat a used powertap wheel. Powertap hubs have a pretty good track record for accuracy/reliability...can't say the same for some of the other cheap offerings.

I have the powertap chainrings on my Tri bike. I'm probably going to go with a used powertap wheel on my road bike (it's an old 9 speed).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Meter or Etap?

Started by TXTriRook
Views: 1325 Posts: 5

2016-12-01 8:49 AM TXTriRook

Power meter

Started by Rileyvb91
Views: 1561 Posts: 18

2016-11-15 8:13 AM brigby1

Adjustment from Virtual Power to Actual Power