General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question never asked about Bikes. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-03-29 10:24 AM

Subject: A question never asked about Bikes.
Yes, I'm trying to be funny/sarcastic.

Here's the story. I have a 1993 Bianchi Ibex from way back in my MT bike days. I have big fat road tires (a least not knobby) and I've been doing my 9-12 miles 3 times a week as I ramp up to my first Sprint Tri in June. My speed average is 14mph (way too slow).

I'm a noob (of course) but I'm hoping to do at least three sprint tris this year. Just to dip my toe into the triathlon world. I do not foresee going bigger (Olympic or Iron) as I'm a sprint type of guy, with the hope/focus is on going faster and faster every year. Let's be honest though my initial goal is just to finish and do it with a respectable time.

The question- Am I road bike guy or a tri bike guy?

I see myself as only training racing in triathlons and I have my old MT bike for family or even group rides if the occasion presents itself. So I'm leaning beginner/ used tri bike, but would love to hear opinions.

I have a line on a 2014 Raleigh Singulus for $800 new http://www.raleigh-canada.ca/2014-bikes-road-race-singulus

and I'm looking at a:

Tomasso Vento a guy bought it and never used because he got a better bike handed to him He will sell it for $750 https://giantnerd.com/collections/balance-bikes/products/tommaso-ven...

Opinions and Ideas on these two beginner bikes or even if I should just get a used road bike are welcome!

2017-03-29 11:26 AM
in reply to: Shotshell

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Subject: RE: A question never asked about Bikes.
Welcome to the madness of triathlons!!! I started doing tri's about 3 years ago. When I started my goal was, and still is, to do an Ironman. I bought a road bike online I think about $500. It has worked for me and is still what I ride. What I have learned, both from research and experience, it's all about the engine. You could buy the "fastest" Tri bike there is, but if your body cannot sustain the power or position for the duration, it won't matter. To answer your question more precisely, get the one that fits you best. If you plan on sticking with tri's, find a quality fitter and get a pre fit. Hope that helps and good luck!!!
2017-03-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: Rooster519

Thanks for the input. I totally see your point about the power of the engine. I've read that the Tri bike is set at a 78 degree angle and will help with saving the legs during the run. The run is my most feared part. I'm overweight, (hopefully less so by the time my tri rolls around) trying to learn to run in the most impact free way, and I don't have the greatest ankles. wondering if it cause of all the hockey I played as a kid... So anyway, I wondering if tri bike is the little extra I need to get through the run. Maybe Im being silly and it's just a sprint tri so I should just get a decent used road bike.

Totally cool about the Ironman by the way. I cannot believe the endurance that must take. You people are amazing. Good luck!
2017-03-29 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Most people will say to buy a road bike, but I'm a dissenting view.  I had a road bike for a few months when I first started.  It, unfortunately, got totaled in an accident and I replaced it with a tri bike.  Up until a couple months ago, the tri bike was the only bike I had....and now I have a second tri bike.  Riding up on the horns sucks, so I can't figure out why I'd want to have that as my only option (as is the case for a road bike).

You should, however, make sure that the tri bike you're looking at is a good fit for you.  A poorly fitting tri bike will be uncomfortable and you'll hate that you bought it. 

2017-03-29 1:30 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by Shotshell

Thanks for the input. I totally see your point about the power of the engine. I've read that the Tri bike is set at a 78 degree angle and will help with saving the legs during the run. The run is my most feared part. I'm overweight, (hopefully less so by the time my tri rolls around) trying to learn to run in the most impact free way, and I don't have the greatest ankles. wondering if it cause of all the hockey I played as a kid... So anyway, I wondering if tri bike is the little extra I need to get through the run. Maybe Im being silly and it's just a sprint tri so I should just get a decent used road bike.

Totally cool about the Ironman by the way. I cannot believe the endurance that must take. You people are amazing. Good luck!

You are correct about the seat tube angle, however, you can effectively reach that angle with a road bike. Using different seat posts and pushing the saddle forward. I have done this and it is possible. The difference for me boiled down to hip impingement angle. When on my road bike, even with forward seat post, my hips wanted to close too much when in the aero position. The geometry of tri bikes are much more than just seat tube angle. It will all boil down to what fits you best. The geometry does help save your quads and calves a little, but training will help with that too. I've done a 70.3 on my road bike so it is possible.

I too am a large athlete. Started doing this at 310 lbs, I've lost 70. It will boil to comfort, comfort, comfort. My first sprint was the biggest learning experience ever. No matter what bike you find, go find the most comfortable saddle possible. You will spend a lot of time, and I mean more than you realize, sitting. If you aren't comfortable it's just miserable, I promise.

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A question never asked about Bikes. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

beginner question about a bike size

Started by bfdast
Views: 1181 Posts: 6

2017-02-09 9:40 PM DomerTriGuy

Bike Tire Question

Started by VidalA
Views: 1459 Posts: 5

2016-09-26 11:49 AM VidalA

HRM Question

Started by cdoug55
Views: 769 Posts: 6

2016-05-19 10:22 PM jennifer_runs

Question on Wetsuits

Started by fernando73
Views: 1057 Posts: 4

2016-04-28 6:25 AM fernando73

Converting a road bike to a TT bike

Started by afin03
Views: 4111 Posts: 7

2016-04-27 7:22 AM PBT_2009
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!