General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's the deal with bike shops? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-03 11:40 AM

Subject: What's the deal with bike shops?

2017-04-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: Shotshell

Subject: RE: What's the deal with bike shops?
So I have two in my area, and both want to sell me their inventory. I'm asking for a used or cheap tri bike options and they want to sell me stuff that's too big or too small and/or not a tri bike. The one place had a Raleigh Singulus that he said was new and a 2015. I was excited about it, but when I went to look at it, it seemed to fit short and was clearly not new. This guy was telling me frame size doesn't matter and that seat post and handle bar height can be adjusted. I guess that's true but as a newbie, all that I've read has been telling this guy is wrong. Also turns out with a simple internet search, Raleigh did not make the Singulus in 2015. They stopped in 2014 which is what the guy told me at our original phone conversation. So he lied or didnt know the year and lied or tried to pass this bike off as new(unused).

The other shop got me to come look at bikes by telling he has several option's in his inventory that will work great for me. So I went there and he wanted to sell me from his inventory a hybrid bike, switch wheels and seat post and add aero bars. When I called on the phone I asked about tri bikes thinking, I would show up and look at a few tri bike options.

I feel like I got noob written across my forehead and these guys are trying to sell me the wrong thing. Are Bike shops like shady used car salesmen?
I live outside the west Metro area in MN. Does someone know a reasonable, non rip off bike shop in the area?

2017-04-03 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
well, I'm a used car salesman as my day job, so I'm probably not the right person to ask...

I'm sure bike shops are like basically all kinds of businesses, some more legit and some more shady than others. If you are being treated like a noob, maybe spend some time educating yourself (there are endless threads on this very topic on this and many forums) about different bikes and what will suit your needs. Do you have riding experience? If not, maybe a road bike is better suited than a tri bike to start with.

As to finding a reputable shop in your area, I would suspect there is likely a local tri community page on facebook or other media outlets, there is for basically everywhere else. Speak with some locals, it's pretty quick/easy to discern who is doing good business with very basic internet sleuthing.

But again... I'm just a shady used car salesman so...
2017-04-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not all bike shops are created equal & word of mouth is the law ...

Yeah, you definitely need to find another shop. Again, ask around on either your state's discussion board here on BT or a or in local tri/road cycling FB group. A good shop won't sell an "excess inventory" bicycle and jam you into it without a proper fit. The only reason I would buy a bike like that would be as an end of season clearance & and I had a 3rd party bike fit print out "in hand" so I was sure I could dial it in. But your shouldn't have to do that - and that's no substitute for a proper fit by a shop. It will save you agony down the road.

Also, it might not hurt to learn a little about bike dimensions & measure your specific body dimensions (there are ample calculators that show you how that on the web) ... if for nothing more than you are a little more educated. There are a couple of lousy shops in my area ... and I steer clear of them like the plague.

If you could find a "tri-specific" bike shop in your region and make the drive - that might be the way to go. Making a major purchase like a TT bike should be a pleasant experience w/ good customer service --- and I am willing to drive a few hours for that. YMMV I have yet to find a tri-store that wasn't full of staff who are triathletes with a wealth of knowledge & often certified in bike fitting in one of the several methodologies such as: FIST or GURU. Also they will understand your ability level in the sport & direct you to appropriate "entry level" TT bikes within your budget.

Edited by rugerviking 2017-04-03 3:33 PM
2017-04-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

well, I'm a used car salesman as my day job, so I'm probably not the right person to ask...

I'm sure bike shops are like basically all kinds of businesses, some more legit and some more shady than others. If you are being treated like a noob, maybe spend some time educating yourself (there are endless threads on this very topic on this and many forums) about different bikes and what will suit your needs. Do you have riding experience? If not, maybe a road bike is better suited than a tri bike to start with.

As to finding a reputable shop in your area, I would suspect there is likely a local tri community page on facebook or other media outlets, there is for basically everywhere else. Speak with some locals, it's pretty quick/easy to discern who is doing good business with very basic internet sleuthing.

But again... I'm just a shady used car salesman so...

Thanks for the the input! "Shady" is the operative word. I run an Auto repair shop. We both know there are good shops and there are those who take customers for a ride, so I know the difference between a good used car salesmen and "shady" used car salesmen.
2017-04-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: rugerviking

Originally posted by rugerviking

Not all bike shops are created equal & word of mouth is the law ...

Yeah, you definitely need to find another shop. Again, ask around on either your state's discussion board here on BT or a or in local tri/road cycling FB group. A good shop won't sell an "excess inventory" bicycle and jam you into it without a proper fit. The only reason I would buy a bike like that would be as an end of season clearance & and I had a 3rd party bike fit print out "in hand" so I was sure I could dial it in. But your shouldn't have to do that - and that's no substitute for a proper fit by a shop. It will save you agony down the road.

Also, it might not hurt to learn a little about bike dimensions & measure your specific body dimensions (there are ample calculators that show you how that on the web) ... if for nothing more than you are a little more educated. There are a couple of lousy shops in my area ... and I steer clear of them like the plague.

If you could find a "tri-specific" bike shop in your region and make the drive - that might be the way to go. Making a major purchase like a TT bike should be a pleasant experience w/ good customer service --- and I am willing to drive a few hours for that. YMMV I have yet to find a tri-store that wasn't full of staff who are triathletes with a wealth of knowledge & often certified in bike fitting in one of the several methodologies such as: FIST or GURU. Also they will understand your ability level in the sport & direct you to appropriate "entry level" TT bikes within your budget.

Thanks for the input! Good suggestions.

2017-04-04 8:28 AM

Have you tried http://gearwestbike.com/that is where I got my Felt S32. They are well respected, will make sure you get a bike that fits and you get a bike fit the same day. They also sponsor many triathlons in Minnesota and some outside the state and sponsor a few athletes. If you are looking for a tri bike I would stay away from regular bike shops and look at ones that gear to triathletes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's the deal with bike shops? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is this a good deal?

Started by gazelle5333
Views: 780 Posts: 2

2016-10-14 6:47 AM Leegoocrap

Bike Frame size

Started by sgonzalez
Views: 618 Posts: 2

2016-05-16 5:26 PM PBT_2009

Converting a road bike to a TT bike