Alabama
Subject: US attacks Syria
Thoughts, opinions?

2017-04-06 9:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: US attacks Syria

If you use nerve gas on children you get bombed........those are the rules.

I hope we now make a concerted effort to find Assad and kill him.  And for the record, I care not one bit about the politics at play in Syria.  Assad crossed a line. Hunt him down and kill him.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-04-06 9:20 PM
2017-04-07 7:05 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

If you use nerve gas on children you get bombed........those are the rules.

I hope we now make a concerted effort to find Assad and kill him.  And for the record, I care not one bit about the politics at play in Syria.  Assad crossed a line. Hunt him down and kill him.

That's a good rule. I agree.

ETA

This reminded me of when I was in college and came into the student union and they were showing the US bombing Libya at the direction of Ronald Reagan. People were cheering watching that. Blow up a 747 over Lockerbie Scotland and we'll burn your village down! Another good rule.

Edited by Rogillio 2017-04-07 7:09 AM
2017-04-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Unfortunately the people that died last night were not the ones who issued the orders to drop chemical weapons on their own citizens. The attack will stop the Assad regime from being able to use this particular facility to launch another attack, so it was a success in that regard. The effort needs to be placed on removing Assad. Unfortunately, we leave another power vacuum, remember Iraq and SH?

Syria will turn into another political sh*t sandwich that the democrats and the world will be able to exploit and force feed the Trump admin. While not even Rachel Maddow could find fault last night with the attack, it was clear that the effort is already underway to demonize the attack. The Russians have condemned the attack and while that separates Trump from Putin, look for the media to warm up to Russia because it will suit their political narrative against Trump. Pelosi just made the first move to demonize the attack by calling for debate in the House. We know she isn't doing this to hold a vote for a show of political unity on the issue. She'll make a political grandstand declaring the attack being short sighted and reckless. She's right to a certain degree because there isn't a viable end game when we meddle in the ME. It has been proven over and over that democracy won't work over there and if we do remove Assad, they will effectively tie the ISIS movement around Trumps' neck.
2017-04-07 10:32 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by mdg2003 Unfortunately the people that died last night were not the ones who issued the orders to drop chemical weapons on their own citizens. The attack will stop the Assad regime from being able to use this particular facility to launch another attack, so it was a success in that regard. The effort needs to be placed on removing Assad. Unfortunately, we leave another power vacuum, remember Iraq and SH? Syria will turn into another political sh*t sandwich that the democrats and the world will be able to exploit and force feed the Trump admin. While not even Rachel Maddow could find fault last night with the attack, it was clear that the effort is already underway to demonize the attack. The Russians have condemned the attack and while that separates Trump from Putin, look for the media to warm up to Russia because it will suit their political narrative against Trump. Pelosi just made the first move to demonize the attack by calling for debate in the House. We know she isn't doing this to hold a vote for a show of political unity on the issue. She'll make a political grandstand declaring the attack being short sighted and reckless. She's right to a certain degree because there isn't a viable end game when we meddle in the ME. It has been proven over and over that democracy won't work over there and if we do remove Assad, they will effectively tie the ISIS movement around Trumps' neck.

“I am writing to request that you call the House back in session immediately to debate any decision to place our men and women in uniform in harm’s way,” the California Democrat wrote in a letter Ryan on Friday.  “The President’s action and any response demands that we immediately do our duty,” Pelosi added. “Congress must live up to its Constitutional responsibility to debate an Authorization of the Use of Military Force against a sovereign nation.”

She is absolutely right and is not demonizing the attack.  The Congress, not the President, has the power to make war.  This was not in response to the US being attacked.  This action, just as the actions taken by President Obama in Libya, require authorization by Congress - under the US Constitution.  Congress has abdicated way too much of its authority to the executive branch - all members of congress, regardless of party affiliation, should support calling for a debate on an AUMF.  

2017-04-07 10:40 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by mdg2003 Unfortunately the people that died last night were not the ones who issued the orders to drop chemical weapons on their own citizens. The attack will stop the Assad regime from being able to use this particular facility to launch another attack, so it was a success in that regard. The effort needs to be placed on removing Assad. Unfortunately, we leave another power vacuum, remember Iraq and SH? Syria will turn into another political sh*t sandwich that the democrats and the world will be able to exploit and force feed the Trump admin. While not even Rachel Maddow could find fault last night with the attack, it was clear that the effort is already underway to demonize the attack. The Russians have condemned the attack and while that separates Trump from Putin, look for the media to warm up to Russia because it will suit their political narrative against Trump. Pelosi just made the first move to demonize the attack by calling for debate in the House. We know she isn't doing this to hold a vote for a show of political unity on the issue. She'll make a political grandstand declaring the attack being short sighted and reckless. She's right to a certain degree because there isn't a viable end game when we meddle in the ME. It has been proven over and over that democracy won't work over there and if we do remove Assad, they will effectively tie the ISIS movement around Trumps' neck.

“I am writing to request that you call the House back in session immediately to debate any decision to place our men and women in uniform in harm’s way,” the California Democrat wrote in a letter Ryan on Friday.  “The President’s action and any response demands that we immediately do our duty,” Pelosi added. “Congress must live up to its Constitutional responsibility to debate an Authorization of the Use of Military Force against a sovereign nation.”

She is absolutely right and is not demonizing the attack.  The Congress, not the President, has the power to make war.  This was not in response to the US being attacked.  This action, just as the actions taken by President Obama in Libya, require authorization by Congress - under the US Constitution.  Congress has abdicated way too much of its authority to the executive branch - all members of congress, regardless of party affiliation, should support calling for a debate on an AUMF.  

Nah......that ship sailed to Vietnam.  President Trump was well within his power and duty to order this strike. The precedents run through decades of Presidential administrations.  In the current climate Pelosi and the rest of the Dems can't be trusted to act in any way except contempt toward, and undermining of, our President.  As far as I'm concerned she can take a seat and shut up.

2017-04-07 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I can't stand Pelosi, but I agree with this. This might be the first time I've ever admitted to agreeing with something she said. You know our current president is crazy when I start agreeing with Pelosi. ;) ;

I think our government has the responsibility to intelligently discuss, in a bipartisan manner, any action which puts our troops at risk. Trump ordering the attack is within his right as President, and not out of the norm given the precedent of previous actions in the last 50 years, but that doesn't mean other representatives of our government don't have a responsibility to make sure any foreign conflict is done with a plan of action. Meddling in the Middle East is not simply a matter of sending a few missiles and walking away - our actions in Iraq, if nothing else, should have taught us that. I would hope our representatives and military would be working together to determine an intelligent plan of action for coming days, and working with our allies as well. It's not as simple as dropping some bombs to show we've got big guns.

Edited by Stacers 2017-04-07 11:07 AM
2017-04-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

Nah......that ship sailed to Vietnam.  President Trump was well within his power and duty to order this strike. The precedents run through decades of Presidential administrations.  In the current climate Pelosi and the rest of the Dems can't be trusted to act in any way except contempt toward, and undermining of, our President.  As far as I'm concerned she can take a seat and shut up.

I love that woman! Just like Maxine Waters, every time she opens her mouth she makes the democrats look like buffoons. Both of them tend to ramble on incoherently. I think Pelosi might have a little old timer's dementia going too. At some point someone in the DNC needs to ask her to step down and quit embarrassing the democrats. Then again, they never asked Sen Byrd to step down....

2017-04-07 11:42 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stacers

I can't stand Pelosi, but I agree with this. This might be the first time I've ever admitted to agreeing with something she said. You know our current president is crazy when I start agreeing with Pelosi.  

I think our government has the responsibility to intelligently discuss, in a bipartisan manner, any action which puts our troops at risk. Trump ordering the attack is within his right as President, and not out of the norm given the precedent of previous actions in the last 50 years, but that doesn't mean other representatives of our government don't have a responsibility to make sure any foreign conflict is done with a plan of action. Meddling in the Middle East is not simply a matter of sending a few missiles and walking away - our actions in Iraq, if nothing else, should have taught us that. I would hope our representatives and military would be working together to determine an intelligent plan of action for coming days, and working with our allies as well. It's not as simple as dropping some bombs to show we've got big guns.

Both you and Hook 'em can always make me think in a different line and I appreciate that.  Not on this one.  Assad used chemical weapons against his own people.  The entire world has already decided we won't tolerate that.  I don't give a rats arse what some congressman thinks the President should do in that case....ANY President.  Bomb and kill the bastard who did it.  Period.

That being said, I doubt that Trump or anyone in this country wants to get involved in regime change in Syria.  Like you said, Iraq and countless other conflicts have taught us that (or it damn well should have).  However, the United States has no choice but to act as the world's police in a case like this.  We have the will and the means and it must be done for all of mankind.  Every single one of our allies understands this.  Besides being a wack job, Pelosi wants to play politics with the bodies of people gassed to death.  Fork her!

Edited by Left Brain 2017-04-07 11:44 AM
2017-04-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I can't stand Pelosi, but I agree with this. This might be the first time I've ever admitted to agreeing with something she said. You know our current president is crazy when I start agreeing with Pelosi.  

Both you and Hook 'em can always make me think in a different line and I appreciate that.  Not on this one.  Assad used chemical weapons against his own people.  The entire world has already decided we won't tolerate that.  I don't give a rats arse what some congressman thinks the President should do in that case....ANY President.  Bomb and kill the bastard who did it.  Period.

I don't quibble with the President's use of force in response to Assad's use of chemical weapons - I agree with you there that it absolutely shouldn't be tolerated.

My point was more along the lines of thinking that I would hope our government would developing a more complex plan for the response than the President ordering some missiles be fired. i.e. What do we do next?? I don't think that decision should be left up to Trump alone, and therefore, I agree with Pelosi indicating that the House should convene to discuss. They shouldn't be sitting around eating bonbons when we just dropped missiles. 

2017-04-07 12:40 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

I don't quibble with the President's use of force in response to Assad's use of chemical weapons - I agree with you there that it absolutely shouldn't be tolerated.

My point was more along the lines of thinking that I would hope our government would developing a more complex plan for the response than the President ordering some missiles be fired. i.e. What do we do next?? I don't think that decision should be left up to Trump alone, and therefore, I agree with Pelosi indicating that the House should convene to discuss. They shouldn't be sitting around eating bonbons when we just dropped missiles. 

I don't think we should "over think" this.  Trump has already said, through his Sec State, that they will not seek regime change.  No reason not to take him at his word.  Maybe it's nothing more then, "go ahead with your civil war, but you won't do THAT".  Hell, why do we have to do anything next? (except for bomb him again if he uses chemicals again)

2017-04-07 6:32 PM
in reply to: #5217822

New user
Pelosi 2020.... Please
2017-04-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by goforit

Pelosi 2020.... Please

By all means, YES ! Please dnc, oh pretty please ! Run Nans and support her as your first choice for POTUS in 2020. He'll, I'd even change my voter reg card to reflect D, just so I could caucus for her!
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » US attacks Syria Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

US / Russia relations

Started by Rogillio
Views: 290 Posts: 1

2017-04-06 2:57 PM Rogillio