General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
2017-04-08 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
1074
10002525
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Know that most of us are probably on the Facebook group, but figured it might as well get started here too.


2017-04-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Member
88
252525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Yay! Thanks for starting! This will be my 3rd full and I am super excited. For those who have done Louisville, can you compare the bike course's hilliness to any other race?

p.s. I have been corrected several times regarding pronunciation: Looo-ah-vull.
2017-04-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
2804
2000500100100100
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Yeah......if it weren't for the upstream swim portion.....and the unknown of the bike course, I'd sleep like a baby

I'm in for my 1st full. I'm a novice swimmer (36:xx - lake and 29:xx down-river @ Augusta HIM swims). We ride hills here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains (NC), but we don't typically ride 112 miles (actually, I've never been more than 70-something).

I have an International Dist. (1.5k/40k/10k), later this month.....IM Choo 70.3 (May)....then the real training fun begins. Plan is to just train through the Int. and Choo.

Good luck.

Edited by nc452010 2017-04-13 11:55 AM
2017-04-14 11:49 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Member
88
252525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Enjoy yourself in TN, Jeff! My better half and I are doing Eagleman 70.3 in June, then on to training for Louisville.
2017-04-14 12:17 PM
in reply to: kalish

User image

Expert
1074
10002525
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
No idea on the course as it will also be my first full. North Georgia here so I am hoping my rides are similar. I can typically get about 3500' of ascent during a 60 mile ride. Not going to sweat it too much just yet, have 70.3 at Chatt in May so we will see where that leaves me.

Have an International distance coming up in a couple of weeks at Kerr Lake up in NC. Making the most out of a visit to see my mother-in-law.

Have a good weekend all!
2017-04-14 9:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
2050
20002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I did Louisville last year and will do it again this fall. The swim was not bad. The upstream portion had no real current. It is in a small channel behind an Island. It didn't feel any different than swimming in a pool. The Ohio was so slow that the downstream portion did not feel like it gave a real boost.
As for the bike it kicked my butt. Here is the perspective. I am from Michigan and this was a hilly course from me. The people from Colorado thought it was flat. The biggest issue I had was every down had an immediate up. You couldn't take advantage of the speed going down with a nice flat to follow. It was straight down then straight up. I suggest you do a lot of hill work this Summer.
Overall the event is incredible! The city and finish are great. The two loops through LaGrange are a huge boost.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-04-14 9:02 PM


2017-04-15 7:07 AM
in reply to: #5217991

User image


224
100100
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Louisville was my first last year and I'm also from MI. I thought I had prepared for the hills by heading up north as often as possible, but it wasn't enough. We ride the loop on our way into town on Thursday and I was pretty demoralized. My friends made it look pretty easy but I had trouble keeping my power to a manageable number. I lost a little sleep the days after that ride, but come race day it wasn't too bad. I think riding the loop ahead of time helped as I had a better idea of how to handle the hills. Like someone else said, for every down it seems like there is an immediate up. You can carry a lot of momentum, but they are long enough that you're still going to have to work. The most difficult part of the race for me was staying in my own little world and riding a steady pace. It seems like I was getting passed by grandma's on beach cruisers in the beginning, but my patience was rewarded as I passed hundreds of people on the way back after the second loop!
2017-04-15 7:54 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Expert
2050
20002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by Toefuzz

Louisville was my first last year and I'm also from MI. I thought I had prepared for the hills by heading up north as often as possible, but it wasn't enough. We ride the loop on our way into town on Thursday and I was pretty demoralized. My friends made it look pretty easy but I had trouble keeping my power to a manageable number. I lost a little sleep the days after that ride, but come race day it wasn't too bad. I think riding the loop ahead of time helped as I had a better idea of how to handle the hills. Like someone else said, for every down it seems like there is an immediate up. You can carry a lot of momentum, but they are long enough that you're still going to have to work. The most difficult part of the race for me was staying in my own little world and riding a steady pace. It seems like I was getting passed by grandma's on beach cruisers in the beginning, but my patience was rewarded as I passed hundreds of people on the way back after the second loop!


I love the grandma's on beach cruiser analogy, because I felt the same way. A lot of people went out way too fast and then blew up on the hills. The start is very flat and is easy to fall into a false sense that the ride is easy.
2017-04-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Expert
2804
2000500100100100
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by dandr614

No idea on the course as it will also be my first full. North Georgia here so I am hoping my rides are similar. I can typically get about 3500' of ascent during a 60 mile ride. Not going to sweat it too much just yet, have 70.3 at Chatt in May so we will see where that leaves me.

Have an International distance coming up in a couple of weeks at Kerr Lake up in NC. Making the most out of a visit to see my mother-in-law.

Have a good weekend all!


We have the exact same schedule. See you @ Kerr Lake, Choo and Louisville.
2017-05-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Expert
1074
10002525
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
So did you do Kerr?

I was disappointed with the lack of swim, but nice bike and run course.
2017-05-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Master
6347
5000100010010010025
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread

Originally posted by dandr614 So did you do Kerr? I was disappointed with the lack of swim, but nice bike and run course.

I was glad that I had signed up for the duathlon in Cary!  Much closer to home if it's gonna be a du anyway.

You're right, Kerr has a beautiful bike course!

What do you have next?



2017-05-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Expert
2804
2000500100100100
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Nope. I had shoulder surgery in December and only started swimming again on March 22 (limited). The main reason I wanted to do Kerr Lake was for the OWS. When they cancelled the swim, it was a no-brainer for me.

I went to the local lake and did a mile OWS.....65 mi. bike and 6 mi run.
2017-05-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
1074
10002525
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
NC sounds like you had a helluva day, Chatt should not be a problem for you. I was for sure disappointed until I got to the site and looked at the lake. Definitely the right call as is was well above the picnic tables. Suspect is was up a good eight foot.

As for me Janyne, I have Chatt 70.3 in a couple of weeks and then Storm the Fort later in the summer and all going well IM Lou in the fall. One kink in all of that is we (family) are evaluating another job offer that may take me to Washington state. If that is the case I will transfer my Lou to CDA if possible and move up the date a couple of months. Sounds good that Cary worked out for you. I was in Raleigh for my mother in law's birthday so Kerr wasn't that bad of a drive. She lives in the North Hills area so I made it up there in just under an hour. I enjoy the Setup Events as they are always well run in my opinion.

2017-05-04 1:14 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Master
6347
5000100010010010025
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread

Originally posted by dandr614 NC sounds like you had a helluva day, Chatt should not be a problem for you. I was for sure disappointed until I got to the site and looked at the lake. Definitely the right call as is was well above the picnic tables. Suspect is was up a good eight foot. As for me Janyne, I have Chatt 70.3 in a couple of weeks and then Storm the Fort later in the summer and all going well IM Lou in the fall. One kink in all of that is we (family) are evaluating another job offer that may take me to Washington state. If that is the case I will transfer my Lou to CDA if possible and move up the date a couple of months. Sounds good that Cary worked out for you. I was in Raleigh for my mother in law's birthday so Kerr wasn't that bad of a drive. She lives in the North Hills area so I made it up there in just under an hour. I enjoy the Setup Events as they are always well run in my opinion.

I'm doing Lake Logan in August and then Lou.

2017-05-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
1074
10002525
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I had toyed with the idea of Lake Logan, but decided on Storm the Fort in Tennessee instead.

Actually just signed up for another Olympic here in Peachtree City tomorrow. I'll get my open water swim one way or another.
2017-05-11 4:38 PM
in reply to: dandr614

User image

Member
178
100252525
Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
This will be my 2nd full. I did IM Wisconsin in 2015. I've heard it's not as tough as that course and that there aren't any huge hills to climb. Hoping that's true! I have some OK little rollers were I'm from, but probably nothing like what I'll see in Louisville. One thing that helps is I'm a really good climber, but don't get as much speed going down the hills to help carry me back up.


2017-05-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Expert
1074
10002525
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Officially transferred to IM CdA. Sort of bummed but oh well, life calls.
2017-05-14 8:16 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Expert
2050
20002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

This will be my 2nd full. I did IM Wisconsin in 2015. I've heard it's not as tough as that course and that there aren't any huge hills to climb. Hoping that's true! I have some OK little rollers were I'm from, but probably nothing like what I'll see in Louisville. One thing that helps is I'm a really good climber, but don't get as much speed going down the hills to help carry me back up.


I did Louisville last year and am signed up again. The bike is hilly and they are all valley climbs. Down and then right back up. It kind of stinks because you can't use the downhills for rest. As soon as you hit the bottom. you have to have speed for the next up. My bike mistake preparing was not doing enough hill work last year. Thank God the run is flat and easy.
On the same token two of the highlights are on the bike. The bike course loops two times through the little town of LaGrange. They shut the town down and have a festival for the IM. It's great to ride through the town with a couple of thousand spectators at miles 30 and then 60.
2017-05-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz


4

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Louisville 2017 will be my first full....very excited....Thanks for starting this thread.....will be following.
2017-05-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: yonks311

User image

Expert
2050
20002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by yonks311

Louisville 2017 will be my first full....very excited....Thanks for starting this thread.....will be following.


You will love the race. The venue is superb, crowd friendly and a lot to do. Remember trust your training and you will have a great day.
2017-08-10 3:47 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
2050
20002525
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
We have two months left. How are you doing with your training?


2017-08-11 7:24 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
1580
1000500252525
Eagle River, Alaska
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
My husband is doing IM Lou this year. He did Vineman full in 2009 and Silverman 70.3 in Nevada in 2015. Now back for a full again. Training in Alaska.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by FF Stock
Views: 10954 Posts: 103

2016-10-17 10:15 AM deboerkj

Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by CarlG
Views: 15363 Posts: 232

2016-09-07 6:42 PM aviatrix802

Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread

Started by Mike J
Views: 5757 Posts: 24

2017-07-05 3:42 PM lisac957

Ironman Texas 2016 - North American Championship : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by exnavydoc
Views: 10229 Posts: 71

2016-05-23 8:14 AM HelmoAlkou

Ironman 70.3 St. George : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 13385 Posts: 114

2017-04-17 1:52 PM ingleshteechur