General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Bike Leg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-10 12:26 AM

Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Bike Leg
I'm preparing for the Escape from Alcatraz event. I understand it has a hilly ride. Biking is my weakest link. I was in Laguna Phuket Triathlon, the bike leg there simply killed me. It would be great if somebody has done both and can provide advice referencing the two events. But all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

2017-04-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: scclai

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Bike Leg

I have only done Alcatraz so I can't offer a comparison.  Alcatraz certainly has some hills but I don't think they are anything too crazy.  I took a look at the bike course for Laguna Phuket and if I was looking at the right one, the bike at Alcatraz is quite a bit shorter (28k vs 50k) so it shouldn't be as bad for you.  It also looks like the worst of the hills for Phuket are near the end which can be a killer too.

Have fun at Alcatraz, it's a great race!  Be alert on the bike course, it can get pretty crowded but it's a ton of fun!

2017-04-10 8:39 AM

User image

I've only done Alcatraz so I can't compare the 2 races.

My personal experience....

I totally underestimated the bike leg. I knew it had hills and my coach had me training appropriately, but all of my nerves were focused on the swim. I'm a decent swimmer but not fast. I was so worried about making the swim in the time cut off (which I did with plenty of time to spare...and without being picked up and repositioned by the nearby boats).

The bike leg has some hills, but the one series that I remember the most was the one that went up the San Francisco neighborhood. It went up, flattened out for the road crossing, went up again and repeated in a step wise fashion. There are other hills on the course and pay attention during the briefing as there are a few sharp turns at the bottom of some of the hills (Presidio).

My Garmin showed 1,460ft elevation gain over the 18 miles.

Most people chose to ride a road bike. While I am more "comfortable" on my tri bike, I was glad to have my hands near the brakes on a few of the downhill turns. There was a good mix of road and tri bikes out there so ride whatever you feel best on. Have fun and enjoy the scenery. It is truly a beautiful race! I would love to go back one day but it is a very expensive weekend of racing.
2017-04-10 8:59 AM

I went for a few runs in SF. Well, yah....of course I'm going to run down Lombard St.......and I'm gonna go up to Coit Tower and stuff.
So, yeah, I brought a little of it on myself...
But I don't think I'd want to do a race where you actually have to put into practice that whole wheel-turn-thing-when-you-park....that you have to learn on the drivers test in places like St. Louis and Des Moines where you never really actually have to do it. Let alone get a ticket it if you fail to do it like they will in SF.
2017-04-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

Or swim in a bay where there's still sharks that have one fin cut off so all they can do is swim clockwise around Alcatraz Island.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Bike Leg Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit legs filling with water?

Started by AlisonSo
Views: 4660 Posts: 14

2017-04-16 7:51 PM Mike Alexander

TT Bike or Aero Road Bike Pages: 1 2

Started by art-gal
Views: 4084 Posts: 26

2016-07-02 5:31 AM Nick B

Training - long run before long bike, or long bike before long run?

Started by TTom
Views: 3488 Posts: 16

2016-04-25 1:10 PM bcagle25

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9200 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Time Difference b/w Tri-Bike and Road Bike

Started by kp73
Views: 5182 Posts: 7

2017-04-02 4:47 PM gsmacleod