General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to handle botched training runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-10 5:10 PM

Subject: How to handle botched training runs?
Looking for some advice. I find myself at a loss for what to do when my training (specifically my running) isn't going to plan.

This weekend I was out to run a pretty leisurely 11 miles and got my first 6 done pretty easily, but after that I just couldn't keep my heartrate down. At about that same spot I began to get really hungry, and I was definitely sweating a lot. For the rest of the run I just couldn't keep things straight. I think it could have been the heat, it was about 20 degrees hotter than I have been running up here and I didn't take steps to account for the extra heat.

The question I have is this, what's the best way to finish the workout at this point?

I chose to run/walk it the rest of the way, and took it as an opportunity to train walking quickly in recovery. I know I could have gutted the rest of it out and finished out the run, but I always hear that long runs should be easy miles for the most part, and I didn't want to spend 5 miles in mid-high zone 3 if it wasn't optimal. So what do you think?

2017-04-11 7:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: How to handle botched training runs?
If you are having clear symptoms of overexertion or overheating (as opposed to just normal fatigue toward the end of a long or hard workout), I would not continue to go after HR or pace goals, especially if you aren't yet acclimatized to the heat. When HR goes high and stays high, it's often a sign of overheating or dehydration, maybe compounded by overambitious pacing for the conditions or your fitness. Could also be impending illness, but given what you said, it sounds more like inadequate adaptation to the heat, plus probably some nutrition and hydration issues.

I would simply slow down to the point where you are feeling okay again (and if that means taking a break, stopping to cool off in an AC building, sticking your head under a faucet, or walking for a while, go ahead and do that), and finish up the time at a lower effort if/when you feel better, making sure to address any issues with fluids or nutrition. If you are having serious symptoms like headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion, etc. I would simply abandon the workout altogether and go rest and rehydrate somewhere cool.

Pretty much every year here, there are a few workouts that I simply can't complete as planned because of extreme heat/humidity--it's just the nature of the beast (thus the username)! It's gotten so I know which kinds of workouts are especially difficult in really hot, humid conditions (long, continuous tempo or build efforts with no recovery intervals where I can cool down a bit), and sometimes I will ask my coach for an alternative (or if it's a ride, do part or all of it inside on the trainer). It's not just a matter of physical discomfort during the workout, but that putting yourself under extreme heat stress can impair recovery, affect sleep and appetite, and make you more vulnerable to illness and injury. (In my case it's also a migraine trigger--yuck!) You could also consider doing your harder or longer runs at a cooler time of day, or indoors on a treadmill.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-04-11 7:15 AM
2017-04-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: crashtopher

User image

I agree with Hotrunner. Just quit that workout. I have 1-2 of these events/situations per summer. Too hot, long run, maybe didn't prepare enough (food, water, mental) and I get 1/4 or 1/2 into it and I am done. Couple of these I had to call my wife to come pick me up.

You didn't mention it, but sounds like maybe you are overtraining and need some rest?
2017-04-11 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Good advice above...

Are you fueling after the first six miles? I have to have something beside water when running over seven miles or I see a big drop off. I also break my long runs into short runs (3-4 miles) with a pit stop to refuel.

You may also want to do a sweat test

http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/cracking-the-code-on-sweat...
2017-04-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Extreme Veteran
If I'm feeling a little iffy before a run I usually choose a route that is a relatively short loop (mile or less) and do laps. That way if I start to have a problem I can always stop. I used to have some really long out and back routes. If you're 6 miles out and don't feel up for it, you're a long way from home.
2017-04-11 5:47 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by crashtopher

Looking for some advice. I find myself at a loss for what to do when my training (specifically my running) isn't going to plan.

This weekend I was out to run a pretty leisurely 11 miles and got my first 6 done pretty easily, but after that I just couldn't keep my heartrate down. At about that same spot I began to get really hungry, and I was definitely sweating a lot. For the rest of the run I just couldn't keep things straight. I think it could have been the heat, it was about 20 degrees hotter than I have been running up here and I didn't take steps to account for the extra heat.

The question I have is this, what's the best way to finish the workout at this point?

I chose to run/walk it the rest of the way, and took it as an opportunity to train walking quickly in recovery. I know I could have gutted the rest of it out and finished out the run, but I always hear that long runs should be easy miles for the most part, and I didn't want to spend 5 miles in mid-high zone 3 if it wasn't optimal. So what do you think?

Actually you probably did the exact best thing you could have done. First off, heart rate monitors aren't always correct but if it was hot and you are not heat fit, your heart rate is surely to be higher. I tend to believe the heart rate was high. Don't read too much into sweating though, sweating is essentially good, it is your body trying to cool itself. It is when your hot and your body stops sweating that you are in bad shape.

Regardless, jog/walk is an incredibly effective way for nearly everyone to run. Even myself, a professional, I rarely run more than 40 minutes at a time before I take at least 1-2 minute break to loosen back up. You think about it, swimming and cycling are way easier on the body, are not weight bearing and we rest all the time at the wall or coasting. Nearly everyone can benefit by incorporating walking into training and racing.

One thing you could have done is walk after mile 6 to a point where you heart rate recovers well into Zone 1 and then start running again until your heart creeps back up above Zone 2, then walk again, and repeat.

2017-04-16 11:47 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yup sounds like combo of heat and carrying to high a fatigue level from earlier workouts. Just walk/jogging to the end, assuming you keep the fluids coming and don't put yourself into heat stroke was the right call.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to handle botched training runs? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buying used bike - how to handle this issue?

Started by linkslefty
Views: 1488 Posts: 16

2016-10-29 4:27 AM marcag

Run training between races

Started by nc452010
Views: 1211 Posts: 15

2016-08-10 8:46 AM nc452010

Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training?

Started by kctkd
Views: 1677 Posts: 7

2016-06-29 7:18 PM tedjohn

IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

Started by Tootshibbard
Views: 1046 Posts: 4

2016-05-22 2:15 PM miamiamy

Discomfort - How would you handle this?

Started by linkslefty
Views: 993 Posts: 10

2016-04-29 5:50 PM linkslefty