General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping on the run portion 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-10 8:54 PM

Subject: Cramping on the run portion 70.3
I did my first 70.3 this weekend and wanted to get some feedback on cramping issues during the run. I believe I probably did not hydrate enough on the bike but felt fine the whole bike leg. At the run portion I experienced a mild leg cramp at 1,5 miles. From there I started to run walk (which for me isn't a surprise as this has happened each time I have stepped up my run or triathlon distance ). I had cramp issues again at mile 4.5. Mile 9 -13.1 was a total cramp management program. Every time I started to run it was a short bit later that I felt a cramp come on and I would walk and it would go away. As far as fluids on the run goes, I can honestly say I took on fluids constantly. I had a bottle of Gatorade. I stoped at each aid station and took on fluids there and filled my water bottle back up a number of times. Is it possible this all goes back to the low fluid amounts on the bike or any other ideas ? Thanks for any ideas or feedback. I am a heavy sweater and do use quite a bit of fluids in my regular training regimen

2017-04-11 4:59 AM
in reply to: Chitwnnole

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Cramping on the run portion 70.3
I would guess that it is almost certain that you over-swam and or over-biked leading to cramping on the run. Although cramping is multi-factorial and not completely understood, in endurance racing the most likely culprit is usually fitness.

Shane
2017-04-11 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In addition to just plain over-biking (pacing too ambitiously) on the bike and possibly the swim, you might also want to look at gearing and cadence if you have that data available. The one time I cramped pretty badly in a HIM run, my cadence on the bike was way lower than average. It was a hilly course with plenty of sections into a stiff headwind, and even considering maybe having lower cadence on the downhill/tailwind sections, given that it was a point to point course with a considerable net elevation gain, I must have been grinding up the hills/into wind in too high a gear. It might not just be a matter of pacing but finding the right cadence and gearing that works for your body and the course--using too high a gear can lead to muscular fatigue and cramping on the run; less likely with higher cadence and easier gearing (though that can be harder, cardio-wise).

2017-04-11 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

What did your training look like during the bulk months leading up to race day?

The usual, default reaction to cramps during a long race like a 70.3 is to assume a hydration issue, but more often than not it should be thought of as a fitness/training issue. However, weather conditions can exasperate the already stressful conditions being put on the body (was it a hot/humid race?). The course terrain and the cadence/pacing points Karen brought up can also be a factor.

2017-04-11 3:28 PM

User image

IMO you are getting some wise replies so far. I am a heavy/salty sweater myself, and for me the culprit for cramping when it has occurred has been going too hard relative to fitness. I have cramped in marathons but not in my two 140.6s. Training and pacing rule.
2017-04-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: #5218141

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and would agree I over extended myself on the bike. Amazing how I felt fine on the bike but it slapped me in the face for the run. The race was 70.3 Florida. Florida is not hilly in general but the area where this race is is much hillier than normal for here.

2017-04-13 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've had cramps in a large muscle group ONCE in my life (run portion of 70.3). I had done a 70.3 6 wks prior with no issues......but, the latter was in 94 deg. heat and very humid. I also didn't dial back my bike to match conditions. Lesson(s) learned.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramping on the run portion 70.3 Rss Feed