General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing a Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-11 10:13 AM

Subject: Choosing a Bike
My wife and I are getting into triathlons, I have done one indoors previously but nothing out doors. This summer we are focusing mostly on training and doing maybe one or two triathlons in August/September.

We are looking into purchasing our first bikes but really have no idea what to get. We both currently don't have any bikes whatsoever. We went to a performance bike shop near our house in Michigan and they recommended we both get the Krestel Talon tri series. I am all for getting that bike if that's what I need but after looking at some posts and articles a lot of people don't suggest getting a designated tri bike till you have a few tri's under your belt and get really serious.

We are both very active people and workout 5-6 days a week even before we were training for tri's so I'm just a little lost on what direction to go.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2017-04-12 6:26 AM
in reply to: cakiser

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Choosing a Bike
For most people that don't yet have any bike, I'd suggest getting road bikes. They are just so much more versatile. With a dedicated tri bike you won't be allowed on most shop/group rides, and well... for the vast majority of non-race riding scenario's a road bike is just much better suited. Also, if tri doesn't turn out to be your thing the road bike has much less chance of just sitting around unused.

Do some research and check out some of your local shops, there are many great bikes in different price ranges. Find the one (that fits!) that you really click with... it's the one you're most likely to ride!

Don't worry, if you really enjoy it you'll both be justifying adding to the bike collection in no time!
2017-04-12 9:00 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Thanks I appreciate the advice. We have appointment to get fitted this upcoming weekend.
2017-04-14 4:10 PM
in reply to: #5218165

Im new to tri and bought a cheap tri bike. Im not the type to just dip my toe in the water but thats my personality. There's good and cautious advise that honestly makes a lot of sense, but if you are serious about tris dont half ass it just get a tri bike. If you get really serious about tris, then get a better tri bike. If you end up not doing tris, sell the tri bike. The point is contrary to what many people with much more experience will tell you, but my advise is go all in and do it right.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Choosing a Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike?

Started by Trilogy
Views: 1795 Posts: 7

2016-11-08 8:45 PM Trilogy

Bike Frame size

Started by sgonzalez
Views: 618 Posts: 2

2016-05-16 5:26 PM PBT_2009

Converting a road bike to a TT bike

Started by afin03
Views: 4118 Posts: 7

2016-04-27 7:22 AM PBT_2009

hybrid tire on mountain bike