General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runners knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
2017-04-13 4:12 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Bronze member
Subject: Runners knee

Hi all, I know that there are a few knee threads here already, but I have a different angle :D

I've started doing a lot of extra sport his year since signing up for my first Tri & also been learning about technique & stretching the hard way, as I have had a couple of injuries with my knee. However, I have changed my swim stroke to free style (and gone to a swim tech class), started stretching more aswell as doing a couple of other things. Simply though, I think it is running that is the culprit with my sore knee & tendons

My question is: Do you guys do any strength exercises to build up your knees or connected muscles? Is there something simple I should be doing? Some particular stretches perhaps. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but let me know if you can shine a light

(I'm supposed to be doing my Trip in 2 months so am motivated to knowing I can do what is necessary to complete it.)

2017-04-13 5:56 PM
in reply to: #5218322

New user
Subject: RE: Runners knee
Do an Internet search for Mark Allen's 12 best Strength exercises.
2017-04-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: mwunder

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Bronze member
Cheers Mwunder, I will
2017-04-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Bronze member

Incidentally, I have started to treat this as an issue with my hamstrings & calves & am already feeling some benefit

Simply, I'm working on stretching my hamstrings more & building up the muscle around the knees & hips with some of the above strength exercises

2017-04-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Champion
Puyallup, Washington

Every time I've run up against "runner's knee" (used to be called chondromalacia patella, or patello-femoral syndrome), it's been related to an imbalance in the quad muscles. Three of the four muscles of the quad tend to pull the kneecap outward (laterally), while only one -- the vastus medialis, or that tear-drop shaped on on the inside just above the kneecap -- pull it back to center. Cycling tends to strengthen the VM, but sometimes it needs some extra help.

What I've found to really help is a static straight leg raise, which can be done at your desk at work even. The trick is the foot position,though -- pull your toes/forefoot up hard, and rotate your entire leg outward. Hold this for 30 seconds a few times a day. Seems to help.

And don't ever sit on your feet.

2017-04-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Oviedo, FLA
Originally posted by briderdt

Every time I've run up against "runner's knee" (used to be called chondromalacia patella, or patello-femoral syndrome), it's been related to an imbalance in the quad muscles. Three of the four muscles of the quad tend to pull the kneecap outward (laterally), while only one -- the vastus medialis, or that tear-drop shaped on on the inside just above the kneecap -- pull it back to center. Cycling tends to strengthen the VM, but sometimes it needs some extra help.

What I've found to really help is a static straight leg raise, which can be done at your desk at work even. The trick is the foot position,though -- pull your toes/forefoot up hard, and rotate your entire leg outward. Hold this for 30 seconds a few times a day. Seems to help.

And don't ever sit on your feet.

This ^^^^

Also, a foam roller on the quads can do amazing things for runners knee. As Dave mentioned above, many times it's because of tight quads. I coach track and cross country and we run into this quite a bit. From a plank position roll the quads on a foam roller from the hip to just above the knee. NEVER roll OVER the knee.

--
Dave

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runners knee Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anybody ever have knee Prolotherapy treatments?

Started by NJBIll
Views: 544 Posts: 2

2016-10-04 11:42 AM alicefoeller

Bad knees and tri bikes

Started by shodai
Views: 550 Posts: 3

2016-12-11 8:57 PM alicefoeller

Regenexx (stem cells for knees)

Started by mxr746
Views: 677 Posts: 3

2016-07-09 2:55 PM alicefoeller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Triathlete's doctor recommends road bike over tri bike

date : June 30, 2016
author : AMSSM
Is stem cell treatment a viable solution for degenerating knees?
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Be ready for trouble out on the road

date : April 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
A healthy weight for runners