General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runners knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-13 4:12 PM

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Subject: Runners knee

Hi all, I know that there are a few knee threads here already, but I have a different angle :D

I've started doing a lot of extra sport his year since signing up for my first Tri & also been learning about technique & stretching the hard way, as I have had a couple of injuries with my knee. However, I have changed my swim stroke to free style (and gone to a swim tech class), started stretching more aswell as doing a couple of other things. Simply though, I think it is running that is the culprit with my sore knee & tendons

My question is: Do you guys do any strength exercises to build up your knees or connected muscles? Is there something simple I should be doing? Some particular stretches perhaps. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but let me know if you can shine a light

(I'm supposed to be doing my Trip in 2 months so am motivated to knowing I can do what is necessary to complete it.)

2017-04-13 5:56 PM
in reply to: #5218322

New user
Subject: RE: Runners knee
Do an Internet search for Mark Allen's 12 best Strength exercises.
2017-04-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: mwunder

User image

Berlin, Berlin
Cheers Mwunder, I will
2017-04-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: lowdon

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Incidentally, I have started to treat this as an issue with my hamstrings & calves & am already feeling some benefit

Simply, I'm working on stretching my hamstrings more & building up the muscle around the knees & hips with some of the above strength exercises

2017-04-18 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Every time I've run up against "runner's knee" (used to be called chondromalacia patella, or patello-femoral syndrome), it's been related to an imbalance in the quad muscles. Three of the four muscles of the quad tend to pull the kneecap outward (laterally), while only one -- the vastus medialis, or that tear-drop shaped on on the inside just above the kneecap -- pull it back to center. Cycling tends to strengthen the VM, but sometimes it needs some extra help.

What I've found to really help is a static straight leg raise, which can be done at your desk at work even. The trick is the foot position,though -- pull your toes/forefoot up hard, and rotate your entire leg outward. Hold this for 30 seconds a few times a day. Seems to help.

And don't ever sit on your feet.

2017-04-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Originally posted by briderdt

Every time I've run up against "runner's knee" (used to be called chondromalacia patella, or patello-femoral syndrome), it's been related to an imbalance in the quad muscles. Three of the four muscles of the quad tend to pull the kneecap outward (laterally), while only one -- the vastus medialis, or that tear-drop shaped on on the inside just above the kneecap -- pull it back to center. Cycling tends to strengthen the VM, but sometimes it needs some extra help.

What I've found to really help is a static straight leg raise, which can be done at your desk at work even. The trick is the foot position,though -- pull your toes/forefoot up hard, and rotate your entire leg outward. Hold this for 30 seconds a few times a day. Seems to help.

And don't ever sit on your feet.

This ^^^^

Also, a foam roller on the quads can do amazing things for runners knee. As Dave mentioned above, many times it's because of tight quads. I coach track and cross country and we run into this quite a bit. From a plank position roll the quads on a foam roller from the hip to just above the knee. NEVER roll OVER the knee.

--
Dave

2017-05-22 5:10 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Berlin, Berlin

Holy crap! I always sit on my feet at work! Okay, so I'll try to stop that & I'll start doing those exercises

Regarding the quads, I have started to stretch them (which seems to have helped some), but I will get one of those foam rollers too

Appreciated

2017-05-24 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
disappointed in Mark Allen's strength program. Outdated bodybuilding, single joint exercises. You want to do multi joint moves, moving in different directions and think about adding plyo moves for power. Look at the Fink's Ironfit. Don't know if it'll help your knees, but will make you stronger.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runners knee Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anybody ever have knee Prolotherapy treatments?

Started by NJBIll
Views: 1070 Posts: 2

2016-10-04 11:42 AM alicefoeller

Bad knees and tri bikes

Started by shodai
Views: 1394 Posts: 3

2016-12-11 8:57 PM alicefoeller

Regenexx (stem cells for knees)

Started by mxr746
Views: 1352 Posts: 3

2016-07-09 2:55 PM alicefoeller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Triathlete's doctor recommends road bike over tri bike

date : June 30, 2016
author : AMSSM
Is stem cell treatment a viable solution for degenerating knees?
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Be ready for trouble out on the road

date : April 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
A healthy weight for runners