General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit selection HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-16 7:43 AM

Subject: Wetsuit selection HELP!
Wetsuit selection help! After looking for deals on wetsuits ended up to 3 options:
1. TYR Hurricane cat 1 ($100us but has an small hole to be fixed)
2. ZOOT Force 1.0 ($150us)
3. ZONE3 Aspire ($200 us)
I don't have sinky legs but I am not strong in the water. This would be my first wetsuit and I would like to do a good investment so I won't change it in the future. I would use it twice a month.

What is your experience and advice about this models and what would you advice to me about it?

Thanks a lot!

2017-04-17 6:56 AM
in reply to: sgonzalez

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wetsuit selection HELP!
I would not recommend the TYR with the hole. Two reasons--

1. Holes are a pain to fix and tend to open up again and then enlarge. I'd spend a bit extra to get a new suit. With a used one, you'll probably be getting a new one sooner than planned.

2. My first full wetsuit was a TYR Hurricane Cat 1. Serviceable, but not that great. Maybe it was partly a fit issue, but it seemed really restrictive in the shoulders (and mine are not big!), and I never felt that comfortable swimming in it. It was very thick and buoyant (in fact almost uncomfortably so--my legs would be riding so high that my back cramped), but actually my newer suit (a mid-range model from ProMotion) seems both less bulky and warmer--maybe the latter uses better materials or just has a better design.

I'm a pretty strong swimmer and not "sinky", but not very muscular and very cold-blooded. I prefer a suit that keeps me warm but gives me some shoulder flexibility to go through my stroke naturally. The suit I have now has thinner material in the shoulders for mobility, and thicker in the core for warmth. I realize that for some people, maximum buoyancy might be more important--the Cat 1 certainly had that, if nothing else.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit selection HELP! Rss Feed