General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When swimming feels rough... quit for the day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-18 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: When swimming feels rough... quit for the day?
I was really wondering about this during a rough swim last week. I knew by 200 into the swim that times were off and everything was going to be slow/labored in the pool that day.

So the question is this: Do you get out of the pool and try again the next day? Or push through it knowing that your form might be going down the drain and times will be slow?

I see PROS and CONS to each of these theories, but I'm just wondering what the "right" thing to do is. Thanks!

2017-04-18 10:45 AM
in reply to: stevestenzel

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: When swimming feels rough... quit for the day?
Don't know if it is the "right" thing to do or not but every coach I have had has said the same thing to me. If you are not hitting your intervals and/or form is breaking down, take an extended break. If you miss another interval, go home and try again tomorrow.

I typically have found that if I just get out of the pool, go to the restroom or refill my water bottle, that when I come back in I can finish the workout as prescribed. Sometimes though, I just don't have it and leave.
2017-04-18 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
If swimming feels rough for me, I shift my focus to drills and feeling the water for a mental workout. Then do the planned swim another day.
2017-04-18 12:37 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
I had this happen last night actually. Was swimming, labored, and barely hitting my intervals. A small child decided to get in my lane for some reason and mess up any mojo I had. I sat there for a few tried to relax, and calm myself. When he left the lane, I tried again, but it was worse. I chose to stop short and walk away. Next swim is tomorrow morning and it WILL BE better.
2017-04-18 12:52 PM

User image

Sometimes I get that feeling in warm up. I try to swim it out with some 50's "building to fast" on a relatively easy interval (~20-25 seconds rest), then take
a stab at the main set. If I'm just not able to get on pace for the main set, I'll abandon it, and work on some breaststroke or do some easy pulling with paddles, concentrating on keeping low SPL.
2017-04-18 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

To each there own, but I would advocate not worrying about the clock and focus on form.  Generally that should be the focus anyway.  The time will show up later.  Think about how you can improve your form and the time will take care of itself.

Still not happy how its going?  Focus on something like your kick.  Maybe think about your hand entry and getting an early vertical forearm.  Maybe rotation.  Whatever.  Use the pool time to become a better swimmer.

2017-04-18 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This happens to me probably two or three times a month. For whatever reason, I simply cannot hit fast (for me) splits, and struggle to hit intervals that are usually easy. Have worked for years to figure out what causes that, to no avail. It's more likely if I'm neglected to have a snack or caffeine (for an afternoon workout) or am tired from work or other training, but sometimes there is no apparent cause.

As others have said, maybe try a bit longer warmup, or a longer rest between sets. If it really isn't happening, I generally don't totally bail on the workout (since my pool access is limited), unless I'm actually feeling unwell; just slow down and focus on good technique and try to complete the distance. Better to do that that slopping through a workout with lousy form. Sometimes, the splits come down. Sometimes they don't, but at least it's time in the pool, endurance work, and some technique practice.
2017-04-18 7:32 PM

Originally posted by stevestenzel

I was really wondering about this during a rough swim last week. I knew by 200 into the swim that times were off and everything was going to be slow/labored in the pool that day.

So the question is this: Do you get out of the pool and try again the next day? Or push through it knowing that your form might be going down the drain and times will be slow?

No I'd push through or amend my swim set (if in a pool). I felt out of sorts on Monday, tired and had 10 x 400m, felt pretty crap, so dropped the set and switched to one that was mostly 25s and 50s.
2017-04-22 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I forgot I even posted this until I was planning my swim workout for today...

Ridgelake and Gary P had some good thoughts about TRYING to get it to work with some 50s or then focusing on something else for the day.

Thanks everyone! Off to the pool...
2017-04-22 3:26 PM

User image

Bronze member

If I've bothered to drive all the way to the pool and get myself all wet then I'm going to suck it up and swim. I'm just in it for the exercise at this point in my life though and don't really care if I hit intervals or not. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When swimming feels rough... quit for the day? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where to get Felt replacement armrests?

Started by Blastman
Views: 965 Posts: 6

2017-04-16 6:30 PM shoff14

Brand new 2014 Felt B16 - good deal?

Started by JT2
Views: 2608 Posts: 12

2017-02-24 9:44 PM JT2

Swim tracker question for Tethered Swimming

Started by dnewman84
Views: 2348 Posts: 4