UK Triathlon Forum England » Wetsuit - yay or nay? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-19 3:53 PM

Lancashire, England
Subject: Wetsuit - yay or nay?
Hi all. I'm a newbie both here and to triathlons. I'm debating a wetsuit at the moment. Presumably it's recommended at any time of year for a lake swim here in the U.K.? My triathlon is going to be in July although the great British weather cannot be relied upon as we all know! Haha.

Another point is whether to rent or buy the wetsuit.

Also, is there anything vital I need to know about wetsuits? Any advice you'd like to offer?

Many thanks

2017-04-20 2:06 AM
in reply to: Megeriah

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: RE: Wetsuit - yay or nay?
Hi,

Most if not all UK openwater swims will be wet suit mandatory. Some are based on tempreture, but some of the larger ones just make it compulosry.

I looked to rent, but then you only get it a couple of weeks at most before the race, then you have to go through the same hassle for each race.
I bought one from aTri Shop in St Albans it cost about £150-200 about three years ago.
To rent at the time was around £50 for a month, so once you've raced three times you get your money back.
If you are going to race more than a couple of times I suggest buying. If you dont use it you can always sell it on to get some money back.

What race are you entered for in July? I'm racing the Sunday at the London tri at the Excel.

Tony.
2017-04-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

Lancashire, England
Subject: RE: Wetsuit - yay or nay?
That's great, thanks. Doing the Birmingham tri, although its in Sutton Coldfield, sprint distance. A friend managed to persuade me to join her.

I was hoping to spend a little as possible in case my first triathlon becomes my last although you're right, renting is almost equal to the cost of buying new depending on suit/rental period etc. And like you said I can always sell on a wetsuit.

Good luck on Sunday!

Jude
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Wetsuit - yay or nay? Rss Feed