General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Want to do a sprint tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-21 1:14 AM

Subject: Want to do a sprint tri
Hi there my name is Ashley, I'm from Vancouver Canada. My goal has always been to complete a tri before I turn 30... a couple years to go, so I thought I would sign up for a sprint this summer in aug.
Any tips and tricks for a newbie, is there any training plans that anyone has used that have been super easy to follow? I love simplicity! Just working on getting my cardio in tact at the moment... have 4 months to prepare!
Thanks in advance

2017-04-21 7:45 AM
in reply to: Asha

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: RE: Want to do a sprint tri
Hi Ashley and welcome.

There are several training plans on the site - many are free! You can also custom build your own plan which I've done for several races and it's worked out well.

Click the Training Plans tab on the top left of the page. You can look for just sprint plans in the drop-down menu. Take a look at the plans and see what might work best for you. You have lots of time before your race so you should be good to go!

Good luck!

--
Dave
2017-04-22 7:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Want to do a sprint tri
Hi Ashley, welcome to BT! Hope we can help you meet your goal of finishing your first triathlon.

The first question I would ask i how's your current swim ability? Have you ever done any lap swimming or other swim training? That's the part most people struggle with. The run is the next most challenging part. If you're objective is just to finish, you probably don't need to do a lot of bike training. A ~20k bike ride is something most people who are modestly fit can complete without a lot of effort.* So I'd put most of my effort into the other two disciplines, especially early on.

Swimming is as much a matter of technique as training. So that's one part where you might need to get some lessons or one-on-one coaching.

Towards the end of your training, make sure you do some "brick" workouts. That's biking/running combined. You don't want race day to be the first time you experience that transition. Your legs are going to feel very different at the beginning of the run when you come off a bike ride than they do when you start running fresh. You want to be familiar with that, and have confidence that you'll be able to run through that and be OK.

I assume you have a specific event picked out in August. Does that event have a pool swim or an open water swim?

*That's assuming the bike route is pretty flat. Adding elevation changes to the ride can increase the challenge significantly. Has the bike route for your race been published yet? Often times an elevation profile is published concurrently with the route, giving you an idea how much climbing you may have to do. If it's a hilly route, you'll want to put more emphasis on the bike training than you would have to for a flat route.

Edited by gary p 2017-04-22 7:16 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Want to do a sprint tri Rss Feed