Subject: Smiths Falls Triathlon
Anyone ever done it?

Hilly? Flat? Cold water?

2017-06-02 8:37 PM
in reply to: #5218946

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Smiths Falls Triathlon
I've done it twice. Fun race and the oldest s/b/r triathlon in Canada, with a unique evening start. I'll likely do it again this year.

The swim is in the Rideau which means they have to wait until they close the locks (hence the evening start). There is a current so the first part of the swim you feel like a superstar then when it goes back upstream it can be a bit of a struggle. Though in the last two years it was quite different... strong current in 2015 and not so much in 2016. I suspect with the spring we've had the water levels will be high so probably more flow.

Bike course is pretty flat, roads in good condition once you get out of Smith's Falls.

Run course has a couple short little climbs but nothing I'd call a hill. There are two out-and-back sections, one a km in and one with a km to go so you can see if anyone is gaining on you.

No Oly distance race to dilute the field so it's pretty competitive, though perhaps its proximity to Nationals and Tremblant 70.3 may draw some faster folks away.
2017-07-29 4:52 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

New user

Montreal and Costa Rica
Subject: RE: Smiths Falls Triathlon
I did Smiths Falls this year (2017) and YES there was current! I think about the same speed as my lazy freestyle which caused me concern on the upstream leg. I stared at the same bunch of weeds for a long time! Gotta get a faster stroke.

Crappy weather as well this year with a cold driving rain during the bike and run. But well run and a pleasant town. No serious hills. I found the run course a bit convoluted with two diversions to make up the 5K instead of a simple out and back.

It was my first tri in part because of the 500M swim, but the current made it seem like a 750 or longer.

Rob
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Smiths Falls Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Woodstock triathlon?

Started by Daffodil
Views: 813 Posts: 3

2017-04-08 3:17 PM rsleegers

Niagara Falls (Grimsby) Triathlon (Subaru Series)

Started by mgalanter
Views: 4300 Posts: 7

2016-06-26 10:01 PM b2run
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Changing weather is a chance to assess, adjust