General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outcome lateral meniscus injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-26 5:18 AM

Subject: Outcome lateral meniscus injury
Hey,
I recently had an acl repair, and had to have about 50% of my lateral meniscus removed.
I'm an avid ultra distance runner, but my surgeon now suggested I choose another sport.
Don't think I'll struggle to get back to activity now, but am more worried about the longterm consequences. There' s not much good data available of longterm outcomes, although people with these injuries are at risk of earlier osteoathritis an knee replacement.

I was wondering if anyone had longterm experience with continued activity despite meniscus removal, do you have any problems?

2017-05-02 11:40 AM
in reply to: runsa

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: RE: Outcome lateral meniscus injury
Yes... I've got lots of experience with ACL reconstruction.

Had mine rebuilt in 1988. They used my tendon, pulled it up and drilled it into my knee. Yeah, sucked big time. Crutches, then a cane and a significant limp for about 3 years. They removed 100% meniscus and 100% cartilage. It's all gone. Every bit of it. Kind of an Osteo-nightmare.
Surgeon said I'd never run again. So, of course a couple years later I started again. I found the more I ran the better I felt. Seems that the more I ran the stronger my knee became.

Now fast forward 27 years. That's when it all caught up to me. Because of bone on bone, I ended up fracturing my femur and tibia.The Osteo-Arthritis has eaten away pretty much most of what was left of my knee.

Had two more surgeons say "you'll never run again - ever". Both said I needed a full knee replacement. Neither would do the surgery because they knew I would start running again and they felt it would destroy the appliance.

I spent 7 months aqua-jogging and got a DonJoy Offloader brace. Started running again. April 1st of this year I finished my first Iron distance Tri, so I guess you could say I'm back on the road.

Now, I'm not saying I never have pain. And anything other than a leisurely walk and I need to put the brace on, but it's keeping me on the road.

I honestly believe the key is proper running form.

So don't give up hope. I'm still out there fighting the fight!

--
Dave
2017-05-02 9:08 PM
in reply to: davetib

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Outcome lateral meniscus injury

Originally posted by davetib Yes... I've got lots of experience with ACL reconstruction.  So don't give up hope. I'm still out there fighting the fight! -- Dave

I have to say thank you for this inspiration. I am 47 and I have always had a some issues with the knees. After running 2 marathons within 4 months of each other I was kinda hurting and my left knee was getting inflamed. X-rays showed narrowing of the left knee joint and MRI confirmed tearing. I declined surgery. I also then switched to Triathlons to mix things up and take some load off the knees.

The left one does hurt sometimes after long runs and I get some popping and clicking out of both of them. I know its only a matter of time before I have to go under surgery. I am trying to put it off as long as possible. In the meantime I just accept some occasional pain and literally run with it.

It is great to hear your story of all you have been through and still completed an Ironman. I may also look into this brace you speak about.

Thanks Again for sharing your story.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outcome lateral meniscus injury Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

odd foot injury

Started by fnfiacco
Views: 1040 Posts: 1

2016-10-08 10:11 AM fnfiacco

Quick injury/training question!?

Started by Kb43
Views: 1437 Posts: 2

2016-12-11 8:59 PM alicefoeller

Shoulder Injury

Started by killerrabbit
Views: 1333 Posts: 5

2016-06-07 6:53 PM TJHammer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knee problems needn't mean the end of the road.