General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-28 9:44 PM

User image

Subject: Long run
Read and interesting article on the long rUn recently and different variations. This was largely for runners not triathletes. How much of your weekly mileage come for your long run. Article suggested 20 to 25% for starts and maybe more with a good base. I'm guessing a higher percentage for triathlon training since we also have bike and swim miles

2017-04-29 5:15 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Long run
IMHO I believe triathletes can go as high as 33%. With that being said, it really depends on the goals and the distance. I find that for a large % of Ironman triathletes, especially newbies, they worry too much about run training.
2017-04-29 9:34 PM
in reply to: #5219292

User image

What distance are you training for? I was dealing with some injuries last year and my long run topped out at 10 or so while training for my first IM. That was probably 35-40% of my miles for the week.
2017-04-30 12:24 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

IMHO I believe triathletes can go as high as 33%. With that being said, it really depends on the goals and the distance. I find that for a large % of Ironman triathletes, especially newbies, they worry too much about run training.

Thomas ,

Can you expand on this, please? Do you mean that we (the IM newbs) ought to be more focused on the bike? Or, do you mean that folks just need to get out and run ...without 'worrying' too much about the nitty-gritty of % etc...?

I enjoy reading your contributions to this site!

kelly

2017-04-30 9:40 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I mean the reality is that there is a huge disconnect often times on what 1st-timers think they can run versus what they actually run. You often see this is the training plan that they are running paces that are not really applicable to them because they just are not fit enough to swim 2.4, bike 112 and the run that pace.

Don't get me wrong, the run training is good to continue to build the aerobic function and get aerobically fit, but yes I do believe they shouldn't worry so much about the run. The reality is even the best pros employ a run/walk tactic. Jan Frodeno won the World Championship walking nearly every aid station and he was in the proper mindset. 26x1 mile repeats with an aid station recovery every mile.

This specific topic is highly individual but yes I believe that most newbies could benefit by doing much more swimming and being fresher and able to ride to their potential on the bike. Having a ton of bike training so they can ride to their potential and at least get off the bike and have a chance to run to their potential.

Frankly instead of continuous 2 hour run, I would rather coaches break it up into:

15 min w/u - really easy
30 min - easy to goal pace
2-5 mins walk
30min easy to goal pace
2-5 mins walk
30mins easy to goal pace
2-5 mins walks
15 - easy

Hope that helps.
2017-05-01 10:11 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

I mostly do sprints and Oly's. Have a 50 planned this year. The article I read talked about some athletes getting a benefit from running 15+ on a 10k training plan, and over 30 on a marathon plan. Obviously everyone has different training needs and they are referring to highly trained athletes not middle of the pack age groupers. Of course I i mess up my plan I don't lose the endorsements. Past seasons I kept my long run around 8 miles, but I just ran a HM and I think I may play with keeping my long run longer thru my tri season. Was just wonder what other people do. This would probably be about 50% or more of my weekly run volume. If I converted swim and bike to aerobic miles I guess it would be around 20-25%. Thanks for the responses

Nate

2017-05-02 12:23 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I come from a distance running background, so have never really stressed about what % of my weekly run my long run is. It would depend on the distance I'm training for and what stage I am at in training. Right now (close to peak HIM training), it's nearly 2 hours, out of maybe 4 to 4 1/2 total hours of running and about 12 total hours of training. That's probably 40-45% of total run time, but it doesn't concern me. Might be different if I was (or was coaching) someone with a limited run background, or prone to overuse injuries. I do long runs nearly every week, and have been doing them off and on for the past 30+ years, so I don't think my body sees it as some kind of unusual stress. More a matter of balancing running (including long runs) with total training load, work, and other demands, and trying to stay adequately cooled and hydrated in tropical conditions.

I've never really done much walking on my runs. Would only do it if I felt I was becoming seriously overheated. I tend to cramp up and have a hard time getting started again if I walk during a long run. Might be different if I was training for full IM, though, especially in the heat here. I do do a lot of my long runs in a way similar to what Thomas describes, only I'm slowing to an easy jog between the HIM pace efforts, not actually walking. (Then again, when it's hot, my "easy jog" is probably slower than some people walk!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run Rss Feed