General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forum Consolidation Announcement Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-30 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Forum Consolidation Announcement
At the request of users, having heard almost no dissent, we have consolidated a lot of the forums to increase the volume of people in the conversations and keep it lively. (When the Internet was invented, forums were one of the few ways to interact with others on niche subject matter. Social media has changed that. There is still a specific and valuable role for forums, but the fact is, there are not as many people in them.)

Dividing the user traffic among specific forums was losing effectiveness, so we've combined the Injuries forum, Gear forum and state forums into Tri Talk.

IMMEDIATE CHANGE:
Please be tolerant of the occasional "local" posting, such as "Where can I find tri clubs in San Francisco?" Previously, we would have reminded the poster to check their state forum, or move the post thread. The overall consolidation will benefit everyone, but we will all need to have increased tolerance for posts such as the example above. Also, injury and gear posts are now welcome in Tri Talk, as that is where they belong.

Thank you all for the feedback and for helping to make this transition with us.

2017-04-30 1:48 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Forum Consolidation Announcement

I think it looks good.....but I think the classifieds will be missed as a service.

2017-04-30 1:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Classified are still here! They are in two other prominent places - Under the "Gear" menu (which is pretty intuitive) and under the Community dropdown.
2017-04-30 3:11 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Pro
Cool....thanks
2017-05-05 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I didn't see a request for feedback - where was that?  I check in on TriTalk occasionally, but not focusing on pinned posts. I look at active questions from users.  Th rest of my time I spent in my state forum and I use BT blogger (PLEASE DON"T GET RID OF THAT!!!).   I had an RSS feed for my state forum so that I was notified of new posts, so I could make sure to respond to anyone who brought something up.  Our state forum was very useful for specific location questions (best sprint for a newbie, where to OWS, recommended bike shops). I am VERY VERY bummed.  

I know there was a time when our forum was very active and I still have friendships from that period.  But even now there was a utility in having this set aside for quick exposure to local issues.   This will not have the desired effect.   Is there a cost in having these separate forums?  I was moderating it, so it's not a personnel investment.

Edited to add: I can see this for subject forums, like Peleton, but I am specifically frustrated by the state forums.  That was a different.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2017-05-05 4:03 PM
2017-05-15 9:31 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi! I'm so sorry - this was actually member-driven, rather than coming from the management.
The complaint was that there were too many forums that didn't have enough traffic in them to keep them vibrant, and that especially the state forums were not being used and were siphoning off energy.

There was a large, multi-page thread containing forum complaints entitled "It's Time to Do Away With Tri Talk" which was created by a member (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=546219&posts=98#M5216011). I contributed to ongoing discussion and problem solving ideas, and the vast majority of veterans agreed with eliminating the state forums.

Then I published an article about it, which was in Articles, article notifications, and the email newsletter. (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2846)

I'm sorry you didn't see any of this and it took you by surprise. :-( That was not my intent. I tried to do it as carefully and with as much advanced notice as possible. In hindsight, I realize I should have made 50 posts in each of the state forums.

Your local-related posts are welcome in Tri Talk now.

It was not related to money or resources, but was in response to complaints about the forums being slow. The thought was, if all of the traffic from 5 sub-forums and state forums were combined, more people would see and respond to the threads.

2017-05-16 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Alice - I didn't follow the thread about "It's time to do away with TriTalk" because I disagreed and have other things to do with my life, so I'm sorry I missed that part of the discussion.   It did encourage me to try to make an effort to read and respond to forum posts more often.  After reading through it now, and your explanation here, I see that the consensus was there was no need for the state forums... according to a small handful of people.   My argument would have been "What's the harm?".  If there was a thread called "Survey about Forum Consolidation" I would have noticed.    The other statistic that bothered me was someone noticed there was no state forum activity for several state so far in 2017... on a date in March.  The Minnesota forum always died in the winter.  There's a reason for that - it's winter here.    My point being that the State forums were individual things that had an individual purpose.

I also don't read the articles very often nor do I subscribe to the newsletter.   I know you put a lot of time into the articles and I am sorry about that.  In the spirit of feedback, I should have mentioned this long ago - I think the posting of several articles in one batch is really overwhelming.    I noticed that happens most often - I will log in and find there are 12 new articles. 

So, I do think this makes sense for the other miscellaneous forums which were topical.   Just not for the states. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2017-05-16 10:01 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forum Consolidation Announcement Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ready to simplify/condense the forums?

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 741 Posts: 6

2017-04-11 10:19 AM LundyLund

Revamping the TN Forum Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ADollar79
Views: 12187 Posts: 71

2017-01-26 2:45 PM Gfredrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!