General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first and only power numbers are in... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-04-30 2:52 PM

Subject: My first and only power numbers are in...
From a visit to a new CycleBar.
Not sure about calibration beyond the fact that the owner and the bulk of his family are serious cyclists....and it's been open a month.
I was hammering (had to show up a bunch of high school athletes)...they show stats during the class on a screen and instead of intervals...you have real time "races". I beat them all.
It was a blast. I had a bit left in the tank, but not tons...

Over 46:13
Average watts: 286
Max: 752

That includes a couple minutes curling/lifting/pushing/pressing a 6 pound bar.

No clue if that's any good for a 46 year old former fat guy or not. But I smoked an entire boys lacrosse team and am feeling pretty pumped about that.

2017-04-30 5:52 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Subject: RE: My first and only power numbers are in...
286 NP over 40 minutes. . . assuming average weight. . . not bad. . . cat 4 range depending on your 1-5 min. power. Sign up for a local bike race and do the 4/5 if you're looking for a little humble pie. You might hang in there.

-Mark
2017-05-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Katy, Texas
Assuming that the bike is calibrated correctly (which is a big if) that is pretty high as far as straight power is concerned. However, there is a really good reason that cycling is typically measured in W/kg, and not just straight watts. That's because the more you weigh (typically) the more you can push watts, but they won't necessarily push you. So if you are 100 kg and push 250 watts, that puts you at 2.5 W/kg, which is the same as a 70 kg person pushing 170 watts. So all things equal, a 70 kg person pushing 190 watts will be faster than a 100 kg person pushing 250 watts. That's "all other things equal" but that's rarely the case...

In triathlon, there is an even bigger factor with drag. So you can have two people who weigh the same and have the same W/kg and one is going 20% faster than the other due to position, equipment, cloths, etc. There are a lot of factors.

So, the short answer is; 285 watts is a lot for 45 minutes, but it doesn't tell you much in the real world. So get out there and ride!!
2017-05-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

jhaack39 - Every Tuesday night there is a crit race in Corondolet park (Tuesday Night Worlds)....very well run and a good atmosphere. Go to Big Shark website for the info.  You would be fine there......they have 3 races for 3 categories and all ages and abilities participate.  You should check it out it's a good time.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-05-01 9:42 AM
2017-05-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

jhaack39 - Every Tuesday night there is a crit race in Corondolet park (Tuesday Night Worlds)....very well run and a good atmosphere. Go to Big Shark website for the info.  You would be fine there......they have 3 races for 3 categories and all ages and abilities participate.  You should check it out it's a good time.

x2...definitely go check out the crit race.
2017-05-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by ziggie204

286 NP over 40 minutes. . . assuming average weight. . . not bad. . . cat 4 range depending on your 1-5 min. power. Sign up for a local bike race and do the 4/5 if you're looking for a little humble pie. You might hang in there.

-Mark

Agree, racing against road bike racers will reveal where you really stand in terms of two wheel power, LOL Especially when you enter a USA cycling sanctioned time trial and you get your arse handed to you by guys racing Merckx division! (Merckx = old school road bike, no aero wheels, non-aero frames/seatposts/handlebars etc.).

That's a great result for 40+ minutes of work, wish I was there at the moment, maybe in the fall.....

2017-05-01 11:54 AM

Nah....no racing for me.
1. Too chicken. Too much close fast riding for me. Also, I don't know the ins/outs/procedures/rules/etiquette of racing. Worse, I'm afraid there's actually little to no etiquette.
2. Don't need anything else in my life.
3. I'm happy hammering down on high schoolers including my son....where there's towels, fans, and water provided..

I have no idea on calibration. I was hoping I could get it to connect to my Forerunner. The only problem was about 8 different meters showed up and I didn't correlate to the bike #. I tried a few but didn't catch the right one. Whatever their meter is...it's using the same Bluetooth drivers that Garmin uses...at least judging by the naming convention.

I am a big boy. 195 these days. With a really long torso and relatively stubby little legs.

LB....your son my know the son of the guy that owns the Creve Coeur Cyclebar location. Sounds likey the both work at the same place...different locations though. He's been doing some racing and will race on a team at a local college/university next year.

It was quite fun. The "real time" racing. It's clearly designed for a specific set of fitness people....most likely not cyclists. It's fairly communal and the whole thing is a bit like a spin version of Orange Theory. I think they do a lot of 'fundraising' classes to fill in blank time. Good option for sports teams and such. We only paid a few bucks more than a "one-time" visit. Since we brought in 30+ people, I'm sure the organization didn't pay that full price. Win win win.

For me....it was about the bragging rights. You can opt for a nickname on the stats board. I went with "Top Cheddar"....which I gather is a lacrosse term for scoring a goal up near the top crossbar. Pretty cool hearing a room of high school kids keep asking "Who's Top Cheddar?"

Edited by jhaack39 2017-05-01 11:59 AM
2017-05-01 12:26 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jhaack39 Nah....no racing for me. 1. Too chicken. Too much close fast riding for me. Also, I don't know the ins/outs/procedures/rules/etiquette of racing. Worse, I'm afraid there's actually little to no etiquette. 2. Don't need anything else in my life. 3. I'm happy hammering down on high schoolers including my son....where there's towels, fans, and water provided.. I have no idea on calibration. I was hoping I could get it to connect to my Forerunner. The only problem was about 8 different meters showed up and I didn't correlate to the bike #. I tried a few but didn't catch the right one. Whatever their meter is...it's using the same Bluetooth drivers that Garmin uses...at least judging by the naming convention. I am a big boy. 195 these days. With a really long torso and relatively stubby little legs. LB....your son my know the son of the guy that owns the Creve Coeur Cyclebar location. Sounds likey the both work at the same place...different locations though. He's been doing some racing and will race on a team at a local college/university next year. It was quite fun. The "real time" racing. It's clearly designed for a specific set of fitness people....most likely not cyclists. It's fairly communal and the whole thing is a bit like a spin version of Orange Theory. I think they do a lot of 'fundraising' classes to fill in blank time. Good option for sports teams and such. We only paid a few bucks more than a "one-time" visit. Since we brought in 30+ people, I'm sure the organization didn't pay that full price. Win win win. For me....it was about the bragging rights. You can opt for a nickname on the stats board. I went with "Top Cheddar"....which I gather is a lacrosse term for scoring a goal up near the top crossbar. Pretty cool hearing a room of high school kids keep asking "Who's Top Cheddar?"

Yeah, they all know each other.....those guys are all connected from the former Pedal Hard shop at Big Shark in the valley (I think).....but that place is called Power Up cycling now (I think) He gets back from college the middle of May, after conference track championships, and will start training with them again.....at least that's his plan (I think) - and there there is the "we're just going to travel around and race triathlon" plan...not sure where all the money for that is going to come from though. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2017-05-01 12:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first and only power numbers are in... Rss Feed