Other Resources The Political Joe » Budget battle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-03 10:49 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Budget battle

OK, I have a theory and will make a prediction.  The ease at which the Republicans and Trump laid down for the budget last week was very interesting to me, so I have come up with a theory.

Currently the Republicans are trying to get through their ACA replacement as well as the tax cuts.  If the government shuts down and they get bogged down in that battle it makes the fight much more difficult.  So, just pass it through September to kick that can down the road and work on healthcare and budget cuts. 

Second, they have now set the stage for the D's because Trump has already stated he will shut it down in September if they pull this crap again.  So, assuming they finish the healthcare and budget cuts by September the D's will pull the same garbage and block anything and everything Trump proposes and he will officially let the government shut down.  After a few weeks or even months of everybody pointing fingers and the D's refusing to budge an inch the Senate will change the rules for the budget to a simple majority in order to save the country from being shutdown by the Democrats.  Then from this point on the Senate has even more power such as they now do with the SCOTUS confirmations. 

You read it here first. ;-

2017-05-04 7:54 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Budget battle

Here's my theory:  Republicans like to spend money just like Democrats.  The Rs and Ds are different sides of the same coin -- heads they spend our money on this, tails they spend our money on that.

As for the tactically genius trap set for the Democrats - BS.  It might play out as you suggest, but it won't be because Trump and the Republicans set some plan into motion this week.  More likely, IMHO, the politicians will do little other than campaigning until about a week before the government is to be shut down in September.  At that point, they will holler "crisis" and agree to spend more money.

2017-05-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

Here's my theory:  Republicans like to spend money just like Democrats.  The Rs and Ds are different sides of the same coin -- heads they spend our money on this, tails they spend our money on that.

As for the tactically genius trap set for the Democrats - BS.  It might play out as you suggest, but it won't be because Trump and the Republicans set some plan into motion this week.  More likely, IMHO, the politicians will do little other than campaigning until about a week before the government is to be shut down in September.  At that point, they will holler "crisis" and agree to spend more money.

I totally agree with the first part about them both wanting to spend like crazy.  I do agree that the R's in the Congress aren't coming up with a plan, they're just a bunch of kids with daddy's checkbook getting to continue wallowing in the mud.
However, I feel Trump has a bigger plan ahead for September.  As always, I could be wrong, but him laying down so easy on this one has my spidey sense tingling that he's up to something. ;-

2017-05-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Master
, California

I think, if the military spending proposals are to succeed, they will have to get the budget sequester lifted.  AFAIK that is still in place.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Budget battle Rss Feed