General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet suit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-04 9:15 PM

Subject: Wet suit
Hi New to the tri sport,and I have a question. I am struggling with the swim which I can see that alot of beginners do. My question is what % of average age groupers would not be to complet the swim of a half ironman without a wetsuit? I've never used one only swimming in a indoor 25 meter pool. I do plan to work up to the full but the swim worries me. So I hope someone will tell me the truth about the wetsuit and how much it actually helps you in the water.

2017-05-04 10:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Wet suit
You can't sink in a wetsuit, so it can be a huge relief for a new swimmer to know they won't drown.

That said, it's not uncommon for people to panic at swim starts in wetsuits, so a wetsuit isn't the main factor for most people who DNF the swim. The most important thing is to practice in race conditions, and why long time swim gurus are often the only people warming up before the gun (and why people who don't get in the water before the race are the people who panic).

And there are other tricks, like people panic when they try to hold their breath and forget to exhale. Exhaling is a drill I encourage in tough practice swims, it helps *a lot*, and like a few other things, is a lot easier when you practice in race conditions.

Also, I do have friends, now Iron distance triathletes, who not too long ago did their first races with 'swim buddy' options, where experienced volunteers pair with brand new triathletes - this can be hugely successful for some people.

On edit: not too many triathletes lack the fitness and need a wetsuit to be able to swim 1.2 miles. 2000m isn't that far, especially knowing there are safety boats. A wetsuit is a nice safety device, but nearly all DNFs are from finding out the race isn't the pool.

Edited by Pacific John 2017-05-04 11:03 PM
2017-05-05 2:06 PM
in reply to: #5219749

Thanks for the reply and info.
2017-05-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: Distro

User image

Expert
Floriduh
As a lifetime swimmer will I tell you it makes a big difference, no. The flotation is nice but if you have good form you don't really need it but it will make you a bit faster. I think the principal value is in mitigating colder water. If you are not a strong swimmer, it has the huge value, as outlined above, of functioning as a flotation device. YMMV
2017-05-06 1:13 AM
in reply to: Distro

I love my wetsuit and while I haven't been able to do timed swims in comparable conditions i definitely feel like my wet suit buoyancy helps my time substantially. All that said: can you do a half length swim without one? Totally. Honestly I wouldn't even worry about it, assuming you're even a halfway decent swimmer and the water is not some crazy cold temperature.
2017-05-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: #5219789

New user
The worse the swimmer, the greater the help a wetsuit will provide. As above, you won't sink, but you do need to find one that fits and practice with it, both in the pool and open water. If I were you, i would practice with it in the pool until you're comfortable with it. If you struggle to do the distance you desire in a pool, then it will be MUCH harder to do that distance in the open water. Also, look up sighting techniques. How far can you swim non stop? How many yards per week are you doing? More importantly, do you have a coach?

2017-05-07 6:33 AM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Bronze member

I hate the wetsuit. I'm a confident swimmer and open water does not bother me. One time I participated in a HIM aqua/bike. The water temp was wetsuit legal but warm enough for me to go without it. I thought it wouldn't make that much difference since the swim is my best leg and I always feel so restricted in it I feel like it actually makes me slower. I opted not to wear it. All my friends who are usually slower than me beat me out of the water. Lesson learned. Buoyancy and decreased drag. Agree with everyone else about making sure you can swim the distance without. I've been at several events were the water temp was unseasonably warm and heard a lot of people standing around really stressed about if the race would be wetsuit legal or not because they NEED the wetsuit to complete the distance.

2017-05-14 11:07 AM
in reply to: #5219828

Thanks for your responses. You guys answered my questions.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet suit Rss Feed