Overall Rank = 463/
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 26/159
Swim
  • 31m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for the most part given my typical minimal training. Happy with top-10 segment in my age group, not sure I've done that before at a big race. I'd like to get the HIM swim back down below 30 minutes, but haven't been willing to put in the training to make that happen. That said, 31 minutes isn't bad for less than 10-hours of swim training in the past 8 months, and I did shave over a minute off of last year's swim. I think I could come close to sub 30-minutes with just a few more hours in the pool carefully woven into training close to race date. I wanted to do more swim training this year but lacked the fortitude to step outside in cool evening conditions and jump into my chilly pool. The water didn't start to warm up until pretty late this spring due to our cooler winter this year. What I'm trying to say is that I've turned into a pathetic wimp about swimming in cold water. Time to change my avatar I guess.
What would you do differently?:

Invest in a pool heater? :)
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

I think my T1 times are slower vs the field because I put on socks and also run in bike shoes.

Nothing, I don't want to ride in bare feet.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm very happy with this bike split. My overall strategy, knowing that I would be facing warm conditions and that I struggle running in the heat, was to hammer the bike and survive the run. Also, I focused a bit more on the bike training for this year's race, and that helped me execute that strategy. I couldn't have posted a 20 mph split on this course last year if I'd wanted to. I feel that I have a little better perspective on bike training now, and I think I could gain another 1-1.5 mph by focusing earlier in training on the right kind of intervals without adding any additional training volume.

Wouldn't change anything. I think I executed this about as well as my conditioning allowed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Had the good fortune of a rack spot very close to the T2 entrance. Boy did that help !! I need to bribe the race director at my next race to get a spot that good again. :) In all fairness, this time I did manage to get my feet out of the shoes before the dismount. Also, my bike socks were dry, so I didn't have to peel off wet socks and roll on a new pair onto cold, wet feet like last year. Knowing the course and being mentally prepared for transitions pays off.
Run
  • 2h 13m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned in the bike comments, my plan was to hammer the bike and survive the run. I knew I'd run more slowly this year because it was going to be hot. That alone would account for an extra 4-5 minutes on the course. And my training was a little less run focused than last year. Also, I burned a lot of matches posting that faster bike split. So, I shouldn't be surprised to surrender 9 minutes on the run. A few hundred yards into this run, and I knew it was going to be a very challenging day out there - no legs at all, and I felt pretty tired from the outset. BUT, I told myself to just run steady, keep the pace light and manageable, don't walk.

Things that went well given the conditions -- no stomach problems on this HIM run which was a first for me. I switched to sipping some cola at each aid station, and that worked very well. The routine I settled into was to grab a water at the start of the station, take a couple sips, dump the rest over my head. Grab a cola, take a sip or two, then toss it. Grab an ice water, take a sip to chase the cola then dump the ice in my hat and throw the ice on my head. I'd move the ice cubes around over the next 5-6 minutes underneath my hat to stay cool between aid stations, then repeat that cycle. I did finally break down and walk the last 3 stations, but that was the only walking I did.
Post race
Event comments:

I beat last year's time by 8 minutes, which will probably stand as my course PR. If I do a HIM next season, I will l likely choose a new venue. I've seen St. George cool and wet, and now warm and windy. I'm not sure I want to find out what other weather it can throw at me This year I did try harder to look up and enjoy the scenery on the bike and run. It's a strikingly beautiful area. If I do return for another go at the course, I will book a longer stay and see more of the sites in this spectacular area. Also, the volunteers at this race are the best. The race seems to have tremendous community support, which makes it a lot of fun as a participant.

Last updated: 2017-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/159
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:01
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:51 | 56 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/159
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:13:03 | 13.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/159
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-05-07 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Ironman 70.3 St. George

2017-05-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #5219893

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 St. George

Congrats!  You had a great race in those tough conditions!  St. George is an amazing place, I'd love to go back and volunteer next year--three times out on that course is enough for me!  Congrats again!

2017-05-15 11:45 PM
in reply to: #5219893

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 St. George

I know its over a week later, I never got a chance to congratulate you on your strong finish. Your times are what I was envisioning for myself, although I was not able to perform nearly as well as you did.

You definitely hammered that bike course, your run time was excellent given the conditions and your swim was exactly where I had thought I would be, about 30-32 minutes.

Great results on a great race venue, congrats

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 St. George Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Vietnam

Started by kingsley.bugarin
Views: 1070 Posts: 3

2016-05-24 9:01 AM rrrunner

Ironman 70.3 Pays d'Aix

Started by lizwickham
Views: 992 Posts: 1