Other Resources The Political Joe » Frat pledge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-08 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Frat pledge
Looking at this story about Tim Piazza makes me wonder about the levels of insanity associated with pledging a fraternity. I attended a trade school and while we didn't have fraternity houses, we did our share of drinking. None of it was underage as the drinking age was 18 at the time here in Texas. We'd typically get a keg and hang out at the lake. everyone would get drunk, someone would inevitably pass out and several would yak in the bushes. Luckily, none of us killed anyone on the way home.

Is the frat house tradition of drinking and hazing really as prevalent as the stereotype would have us believe? Anyone here attend a big school and pledge a fraternity? What did you have to endure to become a member?

2017-05-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Frat pledge

I never pledged but some of my friends did.  Mostly they were just the frat's b!tches for a semester and had to do whatever they said.  Like being called at 2am to binge drink the night before an exam.  It was stupid.

2017-05-08 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Like anything, I think the loud screw ups get all of the media. I was in a fraternity in college, and we didn't do any type of hazing like what caused this event. The worst thing I ever had to do as a pledge was be on call as a sober driver. I think I ended up having to pick someone up two or three times at 2am. They watched my grades, made me get teachers to sign off that I was going to class and participating. We had the highest GPA on campus, and they wanted to make sure we kept it that way. We did a solid amount of drinking, and it was encouraged like every other group of college aged males, but no one was ever forced. Seems like a waste a alcohol.

The toughest thing was always having a party Friday night, and our social services chair would sign us up to help some charity or other service at 9am on Saturday.

2017-05-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

Master
, California

The worst part about this one that was in the news - is that the kid probably would've lived if they'd called for help after his initial fall.  Everyone was too worried about getting busted, and too drunk to notice the severity of his injuries.

I'm not condoning the reckless stuff the frat did, but the school should give a free pass if someone calls 911.

2017-05-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

After reading this account I don't care what they do to the members of that fraternity......or Penn State.

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/Piazza-Penn-State-hazing-Beta-Theta-Pi-fraternity-charged-Centre-County.html

2017-05-08 2:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
, California

Originally posted by Left Brain

After reading this account I don't care what they do to the members of that fraternity......or Penn State.

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/Piazza-Penn-State-hazing-Beta-Theta-Pi-fraternity-charged-Centre-County.html

(Kordell Davis) "He screamed for someone to call 911, but the others shouted him down."

Um, you have a cell phone, , use it.  He should be prosecuted just like the rest of them.

2017-05-08 2:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by spudone

(Kordell Davis) "He screamed for someone to call 911, but the others shouted him down."

Um, you have a cell phone, , use it.  He should be prosecuted just like the rest of them.

Yeah, read that article too. He did sound like someone who lawyered up and is trying to cover azz.

Edited by mdg2003 2017-05-08 2:38 PM
2017-05-08 4:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

Couldnt agree more. Tim was from our town and my son went to the same high school and graduated with Tim's older brother. While I believe this goes on at most colleges, Penn State seems to have a blind eye to all this, as they have "cracked down" multiple times on things like this. And the same day as the DA's announcement, the school announces that Jay Paterno has been named to the board of directors.

So, in one day, the DA announces charges against the frat and Paterno family further entrenched in the school. They either 1) dont care or 2) are totally tone deaf to the issue.

I can honestly say, my kid would not be attending this school.
2017-05-09 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by jmcconne Like anything, I think the loud screw ups get all of the media. I was in a fraternity in college, and we didn't do any type of hazing like what caused this event. The worst thing I ever had to do as a pledge was be on call as a sober driver. I think I ended up having to pick someone up two or three times at 2am. They watched my grades, made me get teachers to sign off that I was going to class and participating. We had the highest GPA on campus, and they wanted to make sure we kept it that way. We did a solid amount of drinking, and it was encouraged like every other group of college aged males, but no one was ever forced. Seems like a waste a alcohol. The toughest thing was always having a party Friday night, and our social services chair would sign us up to help some charity or other service at 9am on Saturday.

We were the same.  We were on a small campus (1300 students) and had 4 fraternities and 3 sororities.  Even the worst frat (TKE) had a better GPA average than the independents.  Mine (LCA) had the highest in the frat and were a bit of a cross between the Tri Lambs from Revenge of the Nerds and the Delta Tau Chi from Animal House. 

My frat banned hazing nationally in the 80's.  We promoted that pretty hard during rush and because of that it set a trend on our campus where the others followed suit pretty quickly.

You are right, these bad apples are the ones getting the news and they should.  They should be dissolved and there should be significant penalties for all involved.  Just as if it were a GDI at a party that had nothing to do with the greek system.

2017-05-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Alabama
I was a GDI in college. Only had one run-in with a frat.

My roommate and I lived in a trailer directly across the street from the Sigma Nu house (bunch of rich guys). One spring day after a day of drinking free beer provided by the university student union for "Spring Fling". I heard my roommate outside in an argument with a couple of frat guys on the lawn of their frat house across the street. I looked out the window just as I saw my roommate (who was like 140 lbs and 5 foot-nothing) take a swing at a guy. Three guys immediately jumped on him and started beating the hail out of him. I ran across the street, grabbed two of them around the neck, fell backwards with them and pulled them off. Before I knew it there were 5 guys on me beating the crap out of me. I knew I was in a no-win situation so I grabbed the smallest guy I could and got him in a headlock and started hammering him. He started screaming, 'get him off me, get him off me'. There were several around me kicking the crap out of me telling me to turn him loose but I hung on to this guys and kept whaling away and told them I was gonna kill him if they didn't get off of me. Finally they stopped hitting and kicking and backed off so I stopped hitting this guy. I held him and told them to let my buddy go. They did. I let the guy lose and they let me up. My face was a bloody mess as was my roommate's face.

We made our peace and went home (back across the street). The next day we each had two black eyes, busted lips and were bruised from head to two.

I don't think too highly of frat guys......
2017-05-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Rogillio I was a GDI in college. Only had one run-in with a frat. My roommate and I lived in a trailer directly across the street from the Sigma Nu house (bunch of rich guys). One spring day after a day of drinking free beer provided by the university student union for "Spring Fling". I heard my roommate outside in an argument with a couple of frat guys on the lawn of their frat house across the street. I looked out the window just as I saw my roommate (who was like 140 lbs and 5 foot-nothing) take a swing at a guy. Three guys immediately jumped on him and started beating the hail out of him. I ran across the street, grabbed two of them around the neck, fell backwards with them and pulled them off. Before I knew it there were 5 guys on me beating the crap out of me. I knew I was in a no-win situation so I grabbed the smallest guy I could and got him in a headlock and started hammering him. He started screaming, 'get him off me, get him off me'. There were several around me kicking the crap out of me telling me to turn him loose but I hung on to this guys and kept whaling away and told them I was gonna kill him if they didn't get off of me. Finally they stopped hitting and kicking and backed off so I stopped hitting this guy. I held him and told them to let my buddy go. They did. I let the guy lose and they let me up. My face was a bloody mess as was my roommate's face. We made our peace and went home (back across the street). The next day we each had two black eyes, busted lips and were bruised from head to two. I don't think too highly of frat guys......

Sounds to me like your roommate wasn't very bright.

2017-05-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rogillio

My roommate and I lived in a trailer directly across the street from the Sigma Nu house (bunch of rich guys). One spring day after a day of drinking free beer provided by the university student union for "Spring Fling". I heard my roommate outside in an argument with a couple of frat guys on the lawn of their frat house across the street. I looked out the window just as I saw my roommate (who was like 140 lbs and 5 foot-nothing) take a swing at a guy. Three guys immediately jumped on him and started beating the hail out of him. I ran across the street, grabbed two of them around the neck, fell backwards with them and pulled them off. Before I knew it there were 5 guys on me beating the crap out of me. I knew I was in a no-win situation so I grabbed the smallest guy I could and got him in a headlock and started hammering him. He started screaming, 'get him off me, get him off me'. There were several around me kicking the crap out of me telling me to turn him loose but I hung on to this guys and kept whaling away and told them I was gonna kill him if they didn't get off of me. Finally they stopped hitting and kicking and backed off so I stopped hitting this guy. I held him and told them to let my buddy go. They did. I let the guy lose and they let me up. My face was a bloody mess as was my roommate's face.

We made our peace and went home (back across the street). The next day we each had two black eyes, busted lips and were bruised from head to two.

Someone came to their house, was involved in an argument, then proceeded to take a swing at someone. All of this was done, while more than likely everyone was drinking. Then his friend rushed in, and tried to take on several guys. Both individuals were beat up. Obviously living across from them you probably had more experiences which lead to your opinion, but based on this it doesn't seem like the situation would have gone any other way with any other group of college aged males.
2017-05-09 1:54 PM

User image

I was in a fraternity that did some of that dumb , including branding. There were at least two nights that included drinking. I don't remember anyone being that drunk either while pledging or as a member. I do remember we almost always had people watching the overall event for safety sake. In fact the drunkest person I remember was a fellow "brother" on hell night. He tried to do something stupid to a pledge that would have really hurt him and about 4 or 5 brothers kicked his azz. My fraternity was nationally banned I believe. Our chapter was mostly athletes so we only did some of the hazing. One year we visited another chapter and they were absolutely nuts. I was the recipient of a hot foot there and was ripping pissed. We never went back. That was a long time ago. Not that it was right then either. People would be in jail today for most of the hazing I went through in HS and college. Funny thing is I was never big on hazing anyone. Outside of dumb stuff like carry my bag. I can't believe what went on in that story still takes place without someone stepping up earlier. Sad for that kid.
2017-05-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Rogillio I was a GDI in college. Only had one run-in with a frat. My roommate and I lived in a trailer directly across the street from the Sigma Nu house (bunch of rich guys). One spring day after a day of drinking free beer provided by the university student union for "Spring Fling". I heard my roommate outside in an argument with a couple of frat guys on the lawn of their frat house across the street. I looked out the window just as I saw my roommate (who was like 140 lbs and 5 foot-nothing) take a swing at a guy. Three guys immediately jumped on him and started beating the hail out of him. I ran across the street, grabbed two of them around the neck, fell backwards with them and pulled them off. Before I knew it there were 5 guys on me beating the crap out of me. I knew I was in a no-win situation so I grabbed the smallest guy I could and got him in a headlock and started hammering him. He started screaming, 'get him off me, get him off me'. There were several around me kicking the crap out of me telling me to turn him loose but I hung on to this guys and kept whaling away and told them I was gonna kill him if they didn't get off of me. Finally they stopped hitting and kicking and backed off so I stopped hitting this guy. I held him and told them to let my buddy go. They did. I let the guy lose and they let me up. My face was a bloody mess as was my roommate's face. We made our peace and went home (back across the street). The next day we each had two black eyes, busted lips and were bruised from head to two. I don't think too highly of frat guys......

Sounds to me like your roommate wasn't very bright.

Yeah, IDK WTH he was thinking. He was pretty hammered and the guys he was talking to were equally hammered.
2017-05-09 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by jmcconne

Originally posted by Rogillio

Someone came to their house, was involved in an argument, then proceeded to take a swing at someone. All of this was done, while more than likely everyone was drinking. Then his friend rushed in, and tried to take on several guys. Both individuals were beat up. Obviously living across from them you probably had more experiences which lead to your opinion, but based on this it doesn't seem like the situation would have gone any other way with any other group of college aged males.

He had been over there for a while talking to these guys. They were our 'neighbors'. Everyone had spent the day in the hot sun drinking unlimited supplies of free beer. I don't know what started the fight and don't care. If I ever see 3 guys beating up 1 guy, I will jump in and try to help. That he was my roommate really didn't matter at that point. If it had been 3 frat guys beating up a 4th frat guy, I'd of jumped in just as fast. I'm not a good fighter but I am very big and I very strong I will never stand by and watch 3 people beat the crap out of some drunken fool.

But since you mentioned 'other experiences' with frats....yes, you are right.

Most of the classes in the college of engineering are graded based on the 'curve'....so it's very competitive. To give their members a competitive advantage, frats would set up filing cabinets for every class and every instructor and have on file every past test the instructor ever gave. It made it hard for non-frat members to compete.

Most of the frat guys came from wealthy families and guys like me who worked full time as a janitor to make rent/tuition/food could barely afford to live and certainly could not afford monthly frat fees. So maybe there was some jealously and resentment on my part. I was young and stupid. Now that I am a 1-percenter, I realized most wealthy people are not snobs.....and neither are their kids. Maybe just happen to work hard and smart and were wise with their money.

Looking at my PP, I should have said "I DIDN"T think too highly of frat guys......". I have nothing against them now.....but when I wrote about that
)whooping it brought up some buried resentment. Truth be known, if I could have afforded it, I'd probably have joined a frat.....maybe....maybe not. I wasn't like most college kids....

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Frat pledge Rss Feed