General Discussion Race Reports! » Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wills Point, Texas
United States
Big Earth Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 30s
Overall Rank = 9/65
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30AM and hit the road. I was fresh off my new baby being born and got the last minute pass from the wife to go out and race. I'd stopped all training and my eating went down the drain when our son was born and given I didn't think I'd be racing, I didn't have high expectations for this one. I was just looking forward to having fun, practicing a few things and getting fresh air and a good sweat!
Event warmup:

I went for a short jog and swam for a few minutes to remind myself what swimming in a wetsuit feels like.
Swim
  • 33h 38m
  • 1500 meters
  • 2h 14m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

The lake was smooth and the water was the perfect temperature. I'm still not very good at sighting but overall I felt about as smooth as I have in a while. My leg cramped up while getting out of the water which led to a slow limp to transition but thankfully it passed. The swim felt long and after checking my Garmin and talking to a few other racers, it was indeed long. My Garmin clocked a 1,890 yard swim and I'm not sure I was well prepared for that distance.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more especially in my wetsuit!
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

My hamstring seized up badly as soon as I hit the mud after the swim. I awkwardly hobbled/limped into transition which took me longer than usual to get my shoes on. I went sockless which felt great but I didn't have it in me to try the flying mount.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 40 kms
  • 29.63 km/hr
Comments:

Road was typical Texas chip seal which made for a long, bumpy ride. I pumped my tires up to 105 on the front and 110 on the rear which in retrospect what probably too much. I popped one gel around the 12 mile mark and drank 1/2 bottle of Hammer Heed and about 1/2 a bottle of water BTA. I was cramping all over the place - abs, hips (multiple times) and hamstrings but thankfully it didn't slow me down to much. I also hit a bump about a mile from the finish which did something to my rear brake leading it to rub directly against my wheel like resistance on a spin bike. I could tell people were looking at me trying to figure out why I was pushing so hard and going so slow at the end but as I told myself, thankfully this happened with 1 mile to go. Garmin clocked this ride at 23.2 miles which felt about right.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Nothing eventful to report here. I didn't rush given my slog to get to dismount and figure I could use the extra 30 seconds to get my body ready for the run.
Run
  • 47h 44m
  • 10 kms
  • 4h 46m 24s  min/km
Comments:

There were 2 pretty good hills on the run which I ran 4 times being the course being 2 loops. I was also getting a blister on my foot probably from the combination of running sockless, sweat and the wonderful chip seal road. The first mile was horrible because my legs felt heavy from the last mile of my ride but then I got into a groove. Given I'd been cramping and didn't have/take any salt I focused on keeping my stride tight but cadence high. I had probably 3 stop me in my tracks cramps but was generally able to keep it together and finish strong. I was hoping to run 45 but no complaints about the 47.
Post race
Warm down:

I had a hard sprint the the finish so I caught some air then hit the water/food tent.

Event comments:

This is a fun and fast race and great for practicing new things. There were only 65 Olympic Distance participants and given we had perfect weather, I had a great time racing. I tried waiting around for my "1st place" medal but after not starting the awards ceremony after waiting around for over an hour I had to hit the road. Too bad!

Last updated: 2017-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
33:38:00 | 1500 meters | 2h 14m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/65
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:00 | 40 kms | 29.63 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
47:44:00 | 10 kms | 4h 46m 24s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2017-05-08 2:05 PM

User image

Subject: Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

2017-05-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5219940

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

Great job and congrats on the kiddo!

2017-05-08 3:35 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Nice job Justin! 1st is 1st! Congrats!
2017-05-09 11:46 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

1st AG is great, especially when you weren't expecting much out of the race and very possibly BECAUSE you weren't expecting much out of the race - it left you relaxed and ready.  Nice work out there and congrats on the new baby!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by dprocket
Views: 919 Posts: 1

2016-05-24 11:50 AM dprocket

Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by nickster
Views: 1105 Posts: 1

2016-05-22 7:17 AM nickster

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Blastman
Views: 1156 Posts: 1