General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-10 4:21 PM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Subject: Fueling
As summer is coming up soon and I'm training harder and for longer duration. I would like to discuss fueling. Yes, I know this is discussed every year and I have searched and thought I knew what I needed.

My first HIM was Racine last year, turned into a duathlon with a short bike. I had an issue late in the run even though I followed my nutrition on the bike, and run. For me, I like the gatorade chews. They are simple and easy to chew. Those coupled with 1.5 bottles of gatorade and 1 bottle of pure water got me through the 30 + mile ride and into the run. I take in less on the run, as that is usually what works for me. Just some water and gatorade at every aid station. At mile 9 my Achilles tendon cramp so badly, my toes curled. The next 4 miles were a slow dance of walk and stretch. Every time I ran it cramped again. The only thing I can think of is I took too much fluid during my run. This had happened again 2 months later at a half marathon. The common factors, both were hot, I drank a ton. Never once did this happen during training. Even with a 45 mile bike and a 10 mile run brick. Yes, I did try salt, at both events with no help. Any theories??

2017-05-10 5:12 PM
in reply to: Rooster519

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Fueling
I would say, with 95% certainty, that you cramped at both events because you outraced your fitness, not due to over or under fueling.

Shane
2017-05-10 5:48 PM
in reply to: #5220157

User image

Davenort, Iowa
May I ask what brings you to that thought? I ask because training for Racine I had trained to an 10:30 pace on the run and was running a 10:40 average when things went south. My bike split was even with what I had trained for with less distance. In the half marathon, I ten to agree more with you as I had trained to run a 2:30 and still came in under that. The cramping was not as bad at the half marathon.
2017-05-10 6:11 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I would say, with 95% certainty, that you cramped at both events because you outraced your fitness, not due to over or under fueling.

Shane

I agree with Shane here, it seems you overcooked yourself too early and your legs ran outta gas. No matter how much nutrition you take in, your body will only absorb about 30-50% of what you expend during a race. However, believe it's the lower % of that range when you're running.
2017-05-10 6:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

I'd agree with Shane - look to fitness first.  There are a lot of pieces that happen on race day that you might not experience in training.  Even the effort on the swim can tax you a bit.  I don't know how hot it was last year but that can also force you to slow down.

The usual culprit is pushing too hard on the bike.

Edit: sorry, missed the duathlon part.

Edited by spudone 2017-05-10 6:17 PM
2017-05-10 6:30 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Rooster519

May I ask what brings you to that thought? I ask because training for Racine I had trained to an 10:30 pace on the run and was running a 10:40 average when things went south. My bike split was even with what I had trained for with less distance. In the half marathon, I ten to agree more with you as I had trained to run a 2:30 and still came in under that. The cramping was not as bad at the half marathon.

Because fitness is most often the culprit.

In your brick what was your effort on the bike (power would be even better) and what was your pace on the run? How did that compare to race day?

Besides that brick, how many workouts did you have longer than when things fell apart? Also what was you typical weekly volume for the 12 weeks before the race?

Shane

2017-05-11 5:38 AM

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Unfortunately I have never trained by power. Looking back what you are saying does make sense. Wind that day at Racine was somewhere near 17 mph if memory serves me right and I had never trained in wind like that. Reading that now with what you have said makes sense that I over did it. My bike pace was averaged faster than any other bike even close to that distance.

As for volume 12 weeks out my bike was 70 miles a week and run around 20 a week. Even as I train this year my averages are almost double that on the run, with my longest coming up this weekend at 15.

I appreciate the info. Honestly, it was tough to read that but it makes a ton of sense looking back. Guess it's why pacing is so important. Thanks again.
2017-05-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Unfortunately I have never trained by power. Looking back what you are saying does make sense. Wind that day at Racine was somewhere near 17 mph if memory serves me right and I had never trained in wind like that. Reading that now with what you have said makes sense that I over did it. My bike pace was averaged faster than any other bike even close to that distance.

As for volume 12 weeks out my bike was 70 miles a week and run around 20 a week. Even as I train this year my averages are almost double that on the run, with my longest coming up this weekend at 15.

I appreciate the info. Honestly, it was tough to read that but it makes a ton of sense looking back. Guess it's why pacing is so important. Thanks again.

This past Saturday was TERRIBLY windy, here (worst I've ever ridden in). I joked to my wife that I had more fun - the day I wrecked, last year (than I did riding in that wind).

I do train with power. My 52 mi. ride in the wind, Saturday, was done at +/- HIM power (for me). Same route Sunday.....much less wind.....and my mph avg. was +1.5 w/ a - 2 W NP. In other words, I worked less (than I did in the wind) and went faster.

At one point, I was pushing 230 W into the wind to go 14 mph, Saturday. If you don't have a PM, you don't realize you're burning these matches. I'm not advocating you buy one. In writing all this, I'm simply saying......you burnt a lot of matches in the wind, probably......which led to exactly what Shane told you

Edited by nc452010 2017-05-11 7:14 AM
2017-05-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by nc452010

This past Saturday was TERRIBLY windy, here (worst I've ever ridden in). I joked to my wife that I had more fun - the day I wrecked, last year (than I did riding in that wind).

I do train with power. My 52 mi. ride in the wind, Saturday, was done at +/- HIM power (for me). Same route Sunday.....much less wind.....and my mph avg. was +1.5 w/ a - 2 W NP. In other words, I worked less (than I did in the wind) and went faster.

At one point, I was pushing 230 W into the wind to go 14 mph, Saturday. If you don't have a PM, you don't realize you're burning these matches. I'm not advocating you buy one. In writing all this, I'm simply saying......you burnt a lot of matches in the wind, probably......which led to exactly what Shane told you

Yes. He and everyone else is right on with what they have said. I know I used a ton of energy on that bike looking back. For some reason as I thought about it before Shane said anything, I just couldn't, or didn't want to, see it. I've always wanted to get a power meter and now I can see how they are important, just need them to be cheaper lol.
2017-05-11 1:38 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York

As summer is coming up soon and I'm training harder and for longer duration. I would like to discuss fueling. Yes, I know this is discussed every year and I have searched and thought I knew what I needed.

My first HIM was Racine last year, turned into a duathlon with a short bike. I had an issue late in the run even though I followed my nutrition on the bike, and run. For me, I like the gatorade chews. They are simple and easy to chew. Those coupled with 1.5 bottles of gatorade and 1 bottle of pure water got me through the 30 + mile ride and into the run. I take in less on the run, as that is usually what works for me. Just some water and gatorade at every aid station. At mile 9 my Achilles tendon cramp so badly, my toes curled. The next 4 miles were a slow dance of walk and stretch. Every time I ran it cramped again. The only thing I can think of is I took too much fluid during my run. This had happened again 2 months later at a half marathon. The common factors, both were hot, I drank a ton. Never once did this happen during training. Even with a 45 mile bike and a 10 mile run brick. Yes, I did try salt, at both events with no help. Any theories??

May I make a suggestion with training? Try having a practice tri about 6-8 weeks out of your next half, go for about as long as you project to be out on the course. that means if you plan to finish in 6 hours have a 6 hour training day such as a 30 minute swim, a 4.5 hour ride and an hour run. I know it is a long workout but you will have the experience of being out there. I'm planning to do a 3 hour workout before my first oly race this year so I know I can make the distance and that it'll be a matter of execution
2017-05-11 4:07 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Davenort, Iowa
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

May I make a suggestion with training? Try having a practice tri about 6-8 weeks out of your next half, go for about as long as you project to be out on the course. that means if you plan to finish in 6 hours have a 6 hour training day such as a 30 minute swim, a 4.5 hour ride and an hour run. I know it is a long workout but you will have the experience of being out there. I'm planning to do a 3 hour workout before my first oly race this year so I know I can make the distance and that it'll be a matter of execution

I appreciate that suggestion, and they are always welcome. This year I do plan on doing one in the beginning of June. I will do all 3 disciplines at their full length, as close to pace as I can. I've already done one oly distance training session and am planning another for next weekend as well. Last year there was a few skipped workouts, and easier workouts than I should have allowed to happen. This year, it's been quite a bit different. I've learned that I need to slow my swim to have the energy to bike, and raise my cadence/ease my gearing on the bike so as not to fry my legs for the run. It's definitely been a learning year.

2017-05-11 9:24 PM

I did my first 1/2 last month and had cramping issues at mile 1.5 and 4.5. Once I hit mile 9-13 every time I would run I would start to cramp and had to walk. I was hydrating a lot. Turns out as mentioned above I killed my run by over exertion on the bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fueling Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fueling throughout an IronMan 70.3-tips???

Started by anime_lover1992
Views: 4262 Posts: 21

2017-04-02 12:41 AM Hot Runner

Racine 70.3 - Hydration / Fueling Strategy

Started by Roundegg812
Views: 1107 Posts: 4

2016-06-13 8:07 PM Blastman