General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From obese to triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-12 2:10 AM

Subject: From obese to triathlete
Hey everyone. I'm really enjoying this website and the forum so I decided to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I'm 33 years old from Colorado. I just signed up for my first sprint triathlon in September and I can't wait!

A little about my journey so far. Last fall I was extremely overweight, tired and out of shape. At my heaviest I was 362 lbs! The real kicker came when I got on an airplane and I was so big the seat belts didn't fit. That's probably the most embarrassed I've ever been and I decided to make some changes. I entered a weight loss competition at my local gym that started in January. I lost almost 54 lbs in 12 weeks! To date I've lost around 65 pounds and am under 300lbs for the first time in a really long time.

After the competition ended i was looking for something to keep myself motivated and I decided to do a triathlon. I had recently gotten back into swimming after being on a swim team as a kid, and during the competition I started to discover that I like running! I also dug my bike out of the shed, got it tuned up and started to ride a little bit! I singed up for the triathlon and recently started training in earnest for it! If i continue at my current rate i should be down to 250-260lbs by the time of the triathlon! I cannot wait to truly say that I have gone from obese to triathlete!

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated because i really feel like I have no idea what I am doing!!!

2017-05-12 1:44 PM
in reply to: Diablosi05

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: RE: From obese to triathlete
WOW!!
Congratulations on your weight loss! That is truly inspiring.

There's lots of articles here on BT that will answer many questions you may have. Also, there's a ton of programs available for different distance triathlons.
My favorite program was the custom roll-your-own. Really made it easy to have a program that fit perfectly with my schedule.

The only bit of advice I might pass along is to ramp up your running slowly. Swimming and cycling are pretty easy on the body, but running can beat you up pretty quickly. So build on your mileage and pace gradually. I like to build for 3 weeks and back it down on week 4 as a recovery week.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

--
Dave
2017-05-18 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5220270

Congrats on your success and keep it up. Your story is similar to mine. 3 1/2 years ago I weighed 310 lbs. took a nutrition class at my local Y. Since then I have lost 105 lbs and am currently at 205. The person who lead the nutrition class also taught a into to triathlon class and she convinced me to join. It was me (male) and 6 very fit women. They all kicked my butt in the swim bike and run workouts but they were all super supportive. I did my first tri at 255 lbs and was hooked. Have since run 2 x 1/2 marathons and just did my first half ironman last month. My advice to you is to surround yourself with people who will be supportive of your efforts. Enjoy the triathlon process and have fun with it. Congrats on the success so far and keep up the good work
2017-09-01 8:18 PM

New user

Very inspirational. Keep up the good work. When in September is the triathlon?
2017-09-05 2:14 PM

Congrats man!
I hit 305 at my highest. Sub 200 consistently these days.

Take it like the weightloss....in bite sized chunks.
It's a journey and you have to savor in that journey of running 1 more mile than you did last week. Or doing a 25 mile bike ride and still be able to mow the lawn after. etc. etc. Crossing the finish line should totally be the cherry on top of your sundae. Make that the reward for all the effort, not the goal. That makes race day fun and gives you reason to find joy in all the little things that you'll do leading up to that.

It's like the weightloss....if you looked at your "end goal"....of 80 or 100 lbs.....it would seem so daunting and you'd likely give up. At least, that's how it was for me.. But, I'm guessing that you celebrated each week of 2 lbs. lost...or 4 lbs. Or what have you. Same with tri for the previously fitness-challeneged. The "end" isn't the goal. It's the reward. The goal is what you make of it each week or day.....or workout.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From obese to triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Triathlete from Sydney

Started by jnsung
Views: 960 Posts: 2

2016-09-28 7:55 AM IndoIronYanti

Bradford new triathlete.

Started by FATbob69
Views: 794 Posts: 2

2016-09-24 8:00 AM HaydenHunter

Hello! New to forum and novice triathlete