General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Failure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-14 10:59 AM

Subject: Failure
Yesterday I tryed and failed at my first 800 meter open water swim. It was in 79 degree water at false river in Louisiana. After reading the forms here it looks like I made two mistakes. Not doing a practice open water swim and not warming up. My pool training I thought was good enough. I was swimming 1000 meters with out stopping take a 1 minute 30 seconds break and finish with 600 meters.
As soon as I took off I felt my heart rate took off and I could not exhale under water. I only made it around 100 meters and had to pull over to a kayak. I rested tryed to calm myself and tryed to go again but it was the same thing I could not exhale under water. I've been swimming in the pool on and off for around 6 months. Mostly on for the last 3 months. I would like to say that the water was too cold and it took my breath away but I don't think it was that. I'm sure that I already know what you guys and girl's are going to tell me that I should have warmed up before the race and also should have practice in the open water. I am really struggling with the failure. I don't know if I am asking for advice or it just feels better writing it down to help me get over it. But I know I am not quitting. I will get this done.

2017-05-14 1:20 PM
in reply to: Distro

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Failure

Sorry to hear about your experience, that definitely would be disappointing. As you have learned, open water swimming is much much different then pool swimming. There is quite abit of anxiety going out in deep water and the only way to overcome that is to get experience with it. Cold water can make it even more difficult.

I have had several open ocean swims and they are still scary for me, despite the fact as a kid I used to play in the ocean all the time. Same thing, anxiety, heart rate spikes, fear of sharks (very real in southern california), cold water shock, etc.. When I swim in a lake, I am cool as a cucumber, no sharks, no problem, lol

Before every swim, I get in the water and get wet, get my head underwater, adjust to temperature, get all the shock factors out of the way. I think your going to be just fine, you just need to get in the open water and get in some practice. Hey and look on the bright side, you didn't drown and you weren't eaten by a great white

2017-05-14 4:05 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Sorry to hear about your experience, but also glad you were able to be safe during the process. 

The weird thing I found about open water swimming is the psychological effects of the lack of vision and no black stripe to follow on the bottom.  I have done numerous races, but still have to consciously work through the beginning of every open water swim.

My issue is that I tend to not exhale fully and keep trying to suck in more and more air without expelling the air that's already in my lungs.  So the fix is simply to count to three in my head every single exhale.  Breath in, and exhale 1, 2, 3, then breath and exhale 1, 2, 3.  Then after the first few hundred yards everything starts working like normal and I'm fine.  But if I don't think about it at the beginning I go sideways quick. 

2017-05-14 6:34 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Here's what you won't hear from most of "the guys and girls on here".  Almost everybody has failed at some point in their triathlon "career".  And most of them were in the first few races they did...most swimming, but some running and biking too.  Shake it off, keep swimming, get in an open water swim or two without the added race stress and you'll be absolutely fine.  The good news is, you didn't lose any swim fitness, you likely just panicked a bit after going out too fast.  Don't ask me how I know this happens......uh....you didn't warm up enough.

2017-05-14 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5220397

Thanks for the replies, I feel like I was the only person out of 400 athletes that had to be brought back in by boat because they could not make it. I can't even tell my friends. I am telling everyone that I got sick the night before and didn't even go to the race. I'm ready to get in the water and get my pride back. Thanks again for letting me know there are others out there.
2017-05-14 8:04 PM

The first time sucks. The second time sucks a lot less. Next time, try taking it nice and slow for the first couple minutes then build up to a faster pace if you're feeling it.

2017-05-14 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
You took another step towards your goal, learned something from it, and decided to try again, err, take another step next time - That does not sound like failure to me
Were you wearing a wetsuit? Was it the first time? My first wetsuit OWS, was not exactly a success - In fact I was SO close to hurling my breakfast, right there yards from the beach full of families I did not know if I should take the chance and dash to the washrooms, fearing I would not make it, or swim a bit further out to lose my breakfast .... and the thought of moving made me want to heave even more.

It turned out that the restrictive feeling of the suit coupled with cold water in my ears led to nausea. Lessons learned... (that was not at my first ows race)

I look forward to reading of your upcoming overcoming this particular challenge, and reading about the next step

2017-05-15 2:17 AM
in reply to: 0

=

Edited by gudal 2017-05-15 2:18 AM
2017-05-15 9:25 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
You learn WAY more from the bad races than the good ones. And the more experience, and more races you do, you simply find more elaborate, and often times much more epic ways of screwing up (trust me on that one). But each failure teaches a valuable and necessarily painful memory that keeps you on track for the next one. A failed race is not a bad thing by any stretch.

As for what went wrong, it was very likely anxiety. The only way to get over that is do it more often. If you have someone that can go out and be in a kayak, canoe or paddle board and shadow you while practicing open water swimming, that would be really beneficial to you. That way you are safe, and can get used to open water swimming on your own terms.
2017-05-15 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Dang, I understand the feeling... Barely starting the race and having to be pulled out and end your race day. I've made a different mistake during my first triathlon that's makes me laugh to this day... I ran off the run course, hehehe!

It's good to know you felt you've learned something though. Get those open water practices in and you'll kill your next race! And oh, like Left Brain said, get into the water well before your next race starts for a good warmup and acclimation.
2017-05-15 10:13 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by ziggie204

The first time sucks. The second time sucks a lot less. Next time, try taking it nice and slow for the first couple minutes then build up to a faster pace if you're feeling it.

^^^THIS!

I approach ALL OWS's that way.

2017-05-15 10:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by DistroThanks for the replies, I feel like I was the only person out of 400 athletes that had to be brought back in by boat because they could not make it. I can't even tell my friends.
Almost every race I have done over the last 7-8 years has had people pulled out of the water. Last race of '16 I was treading water waiting for my wave to start. Had to swim over and grab a guy from previous wave who started calling for help and going under. It happens, don't be embarrassed.
2017-05-15 11:12 AM

I can totally relate to this as I too had a fail during the swim portion of a race.

Three years ago while I was preparing for my first half ironman I did an Olympic as a tune up for the HIM. I thought I was ready as this Olympic wasn't my first race nor my first at this distance. They didn't really give us the chance to warm up but we were able to wade in the water for a few minutes before they sent us off. I thought I was fine but once I started swimming I immediately couldn't catch my breath. It was so weird. I stopped and went on my back and sort of did a backstroke just to calm myself. I flipped over and again I couldn't catch my breath. After several minutes a kayak came over and picked me up (apparently it looked like I was struggling). I don't think I made it 100 yards.

I got really down on myself and thought about giving up the whole triathlon thing. I almost dropped out of my half but a good friend of mine told me to find a lake, put on my wetsuit and sort of "play" around in the water. She told me not to swim a certain distance, and don't even turn my watch on. She basically said to go out there and get comfortable. I took her advice and it worked. I got successfully got through my half and went on to complete 2 full ironman races (by the way I almost had a second failure at my second full IM where I had an issue during the swim. I made the swim cutoff by 20 seconds).

My advice is don't let this get you down. The one thing this sport, or any sport, teaches us is that failures happens and what makes us stronger is how we cope with it. The swim failure I had taught me that life is not perfect. We all go into a race with a certain expectation and in a perfect world we either meet or exceed those expectations. However, things happen and you'll look back at this and learn from it. For your next race you'll be better prepared (you sound like you might already know what might have happened). For me, I now make sure to get fully acclimated and get my HR up before my swim, even if that means splashing water on myself or doing a light jog. I think it's great that you have no intention of quitting and you will come back from this stronger!
2017-05-15 11:13 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by triosaurus

You took another step towards your goal, learned something from it, and decided to try again, err, take another step next time - That does not sound like failure to me
Were you wearing a wetsuit? Was it the first time? My first wetsuit OWS, was not exactly a success - In fact I was SO close to hurling my breakfast, right there yards from the beach full of families I did not know if I should take the chance and dash to the washrooms, fearing I would not make it, or swim a bit further out to lose my breakfast .... and the thought of moving made me want to heave even more.

It turned out that the restrictive feeling of the suit coupled with cold water in my ears led to nausea. Lessons learned... (that was not at my first ows race)

I look forward to reading of your upcoming overcoming this particular challenge, and reading about the next step

Good question on the wet suite by Triosaurus. I completed OWS races with no problem but had issues the first race with wet suit. I was able to finish but it wasn't a fun swim. The wet suit is no problem now but something about that first race with wet suit was crazy. Felt like I couldn't breath.

Don't give up and do some practice OWS with a group.

Hang in there.
2017-05-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: #5220397

It was not wet suit legal. But the funny thing was I saw probably 5 people who did have on a wet suit. What happens to the people that don't follow the rules? Are they disqualified? Also I do not own a wet suit. In Louisiana the water temperature is often too warm to be a "wetsuit" legal swim.
2017-05-16 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Distro

It was not wet suit legal. But the funny thing was I saw probably 5 people who did have on a wet suit. What happens to the people that don't follow the rules? Are they disqualified? Also I do not own a wet suit. In Louisiana the water temperature is often too warm to be a "wetsuit" legal swim.

They would not qualify for awards.

2017-05-16 12:57 PM

1. I do at least 5 times "better" in open water if I get in and get wet before hand. Especially if the water is not 98.6 degrees.
2. Embrace open water swimming. And by embrace it, I mean look forward to it. Most of us can swim in a pool any old day.
I'm sitting here at work. And if someone said to me...."Hey, you wanna go jump in a lake/river and splash around? No consequences, you won't lose your job, etc. etc.?" I'd do it in a heartbeat. If someone said that about a pool, I'd be like "Nah, I'll just go to the gym after work and get in a few laps."

I think it's "fun" now. And rewarding. 1 mile of buoys sure looks more daunting than setting the odometer on the car and measuring out 50 miles. It's also more backpat rewarding...for me anyway.
2017-05-16 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by Distro

They could have been wearing a swim skin which would have been legal. Looks like a wetsuit but is a thinner material.
2017-05-16 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

The no warm up thing is likely the biggest factor. I know I have a HUGE difference in how the swim goes if I just dive in and go at race speed vs. taking the time to get in and get relaxed before the start. While I haven't been towed in by lifeguards, I've watched entire fields disappear into the distance more than once because of it.

Your body has a natural "gasp reaction" to putting your face in cold water. You will naturally want to hold your breath rather than exhale with your face in the water. Every one has it. And "cold" can mean anything below normal skin temperature of 83 degrees (F). It takes a good minute for your body to get past this initial reaction. If you don't get past this before you start swimming, you get what was already described -- trying to both exhale AND inhale in that short interval when your face is out of the water. It just doesn't work, and you get an oxygen-deprived, short-of-breath feeling, and soon your stroke suffers and then you try even harder, and it starts a downward spiral.*

Get in the water, get your FACE in the water, paddle around a bit, and get to where you can breathe naturally (as natural as you can when swimming) before the start.

* As an aside, water survival experts have given the same advice when falling through ice alone -- get past that reaction before you try to get out, your chances of success are much higher.

2017-05-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: #5220457

Briderdt: that is a great explanation or reason that I could not exhale. I've been thinking that I had a panic attack, which I have never had. The water temperature was 79 degrees F. I have a running background and have been in a lot of races I get some what nervous at all rece starts with did I train enough, the race day temperature. Stuff like that but nothing like what happened to me in the water Saturday. So thanks again briderdt for the great explanation.
2017-05-19 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Yeah, one of the funniest experiences I've had was my first scuba class where we wore the tanks in a pool. We put the regulators in our mouth and then just sat down in the shallow end. I sat there holding my breath, almost panicking... For as long as I could stand it I just sat there holding my breath. Suddenly I inhaled...

"Hey, it works!"

Breathing underwater is SUCH an unnatural thing. I never really got used to it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Failure Rss Feed