Other Resources The Political Joe » The Wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-15 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: The Wall
No, not Pink Floyd.....

380 million people in this country and you know there are a few million really good ideas for a wall.

I love this idea:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/group-architects-submitted-proposal-trump...

My idea is a "Wack-a-Mole' approach. Find the stretch along the border (be it 10 miles or 100 miles) that is most porous and seal it off with a combination of concrete, guards, towers, drones, satellite imagery, etc. This will change supply routes and forced the crossers to go elsewhere or not come at all. Then take on the new most porous stretch and do the same thing. Eventually you push crossers so far out into the middle of BF Egypt in the desert that it is not worth the risk/effort.

2017-05-15 1:41 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California
Subject: RE: The Wall

Maybe the Army Corps of Engineers should just get together a plan to redirect the Rio Grande to cover the rest of our border.  Seems equally feasible.

2017-05-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by spudone

Maybe the Army Corps of Engineers should just get together a plan to redirect the Rio Grande to cover the rest of our border.  Seems equally feasible.

Don't underestimate the Army Corps of Engineers. I spent this last weekend cruising the Tennessee River between Wheeler Lake (and dam) and Guntersville Lake (dam). The TN River, just like the Ohio River, use to get so low at certain times of the year you could literally walk across. Now they are both navigable rivers and carry freight and are at times a mile+ wide. I went thru the Guntersville Lock twice on my boat yesterday. When going from the high side to low side I checked my Garmin depth finder and we dropped from 58' to 26' as we sat in the lock. After the depression, as part of government WPA programs, the TVA or Tennessee Valley Authority built a series of dams on the Tennessee River - Chickamauga and Nickajack in Chattanooga, Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick. All of these are with 100 mile of my house. I've done several triathlons in Huntsville on the TN River and a couple in Chattanooga.....all made possible by the Army Corp of Engineers!

I suspect you were being sarcastic but in truth, a few well placed dams could indeed become a 'natural' barrier.
2017-05-15 2:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

Don't underestimate the Army Corps of Engineers. I spent this last weekend cruising the Tennessee River between Wheeler Lake (and dam) and Guntersville Lake (dam). The TN River, just like the Ohio River, use to get so low at certain times of the year you could literally walk across. Now they are both navigable rivers and carry freight and are at times a mile+ wide. I went thru the Guntersville Lock twice on my boat yesterday. When going from the high side to low side I checked my Garmin depth finder and we dropped from 58' to 26' as we sat in the lock. After the depression, as part of government WPA programs, the TVA or Tennessee Valley Authority built a series of dams on the Tennessee River - Chickamauga and Nickajack in Chattanooga, Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick. All of these are with 100 mile of my house. I've done several triathlons in Huntsville on the TN River and a couple in Chattanooga.....all made possible by the Army Corp of Engineers! I suspect you were being sarcastic but in truth, a few well placed dams could indeed become a 'natural' barrier.

Guntersville has some nice crappie and Pickwick has the biggest smallmouth bass I've ever caught in the U.S.  That's all I got.

2017-05-15 3:16 PM

Master
, California

Don't underestimate the Army Corps of Engineers. I spent this last weekend cruising the Tennessee River between Wheeler Lake (and dam) and Guntersville Lake (dam). The TN River, just like the Ohio River, use to get so low at certain times of the year you could literally walk across. Now they are both navigable rivers and carry freight and are at times a mile+ wide. I went thru the Guntersville Lock twice on my boat yesterday. When going from the high side to low side I checked my Garmin depth finder and we dropped from 58' to 26' as we sat in the lock. After the depression, as part of government WPA programs, the TVA or Tennessee Valley Authority built a series of dams on the Tennessee River - Chickamauga and Nickajack in Chattanooga, Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick. All of these are with 100 mile of my house. I've done several triathlons in Huntsville on the TN River and a couple in Chattanooga.....all made possible by the Army Corp of Engineers! I suspect you were being sarcastic but in truth, a few well placed dams could indeed become a 'natural' barrier.

It was sarcastic only in that the Rio Grande flows north to south.  So it's not feasible at all.

If it flowed the other direction, you could potentially re-route it at El-Paso and send it out to California.

2017-05-15 3:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

It was sarcastic only in that the Rio Grande flows north to south.  So it's not feasible at all.

If it flowed the other direction, you could potentially re-route it at El-Paso and send it out to California.

I'm not following your reasoning. Why does it matter which direction the water flows? I'm just suggesting there might be places where two dams might be constructed on the river maybe 10 or 50 or 100 miles apart such that they would create a large lake between the dams that is impossible to cross sans a boat...or unless you are training for an Ironman.

The Army Corp of engineers made a canal across Panama! 50 miles long right thru the middle of a jungle for Pets's sake!

Edited by Rogillio 2017-05-15 4:01 PM

2017-05-15 4:02 PM

Master
, California

I was thinking if you imagine the river covering our entire border, incl. New Mexico and Arizona.  Natural barriers are usually the best ones -- there's a reason so many countries have their borders defined by waterways.

But yeah if you're talking about *widening* key areas, that is completely doable.

2017-05-15 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

environmental. implications. *sobbing*

2017-05-15 5:31 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by dmiller5

environmental. implications. *sobbing*

Could you imagine trying to get the Panama Canal build in today's 'environment'? :-)
2017-05-16 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

at least the canal would potentially reduce fuel consumption for shipping while it introduced pacific species into the atlantic and vice versa.

2017-05-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by Rogillio  I'm not following your reasoning. Why does it matter which direction the water flows? I'm just suggesting there might be places where two dams might be constructed on the river maybe 10 or 50 or 100 miles apart such that they would create a large lake between the dams that is impossible to cross sans a boat...or unless you are training for an Ironman. The Army Corp of engineers made a canal across Panama! 50 miles long right thru the middle of a jungle for Pets's sake!

You mean like Amistad and Falcon International Reservoirs?  Both on the Texas/Mexico boarder.  Apparently people still find their way around.

Edited by Hook'em 2017-05-16 10:32 AM

2017-05-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by Rogillio  I'm not following your reasoning. Why does it matter which direction the water flows? I'm just suggesting there might be places where two dams might be constructed on the river maybe 10 or 50 or 100 miles apart such that they would create a large lake between the dams that is impossible to cross sans a boat...or unless you are training for an Ironman. The Army Corp of engineers made a canal across Panama! 50 miles long right thru the middle of a jungle for Pets's sake!

You mean like Amistad and Falcon International Reservoirs?  Both on the Texas/Mexico boarder.  Apparently people still find their way around.

I was actually the first person to come up with this idea! Wait.....wrong thread...

Seriously, I did not know those existed. My thinking is there need not be a homogeneous "Great Wall of China" type structure. You build what is appropriate for the geography.....and you don't start in San Diego and work east. You start where most people are crossing and you fill that hole. Then you fill the next hole and the next. You will never have a 100% perfect fence but the goal should be to slow the flood to a trickle.
2017-05-17 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I always loved live recordings over studio myself. I'm going with Delicate Sound of Thunder .. .
2017-05-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

A hell of a lot cheaper than any wall would be a tower every 500 yards manned with a sniper and spotter.  It's not very humane, but after a few weeks nobody is crossing anymore anyway.

2017-05-17 1:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

A hell of a lot cheaper than any wall would be a tower every 500 yards manned with a sniper and spotter.  It's not very humane, but after a few weeks nobody is crossing anymore anyway.

Or minefields.

I actually think the way to go is drones. Drone can fly for hours scanning the area when it finds people it locks on to them and tracks them. It radios back to guards who come pick them up. You can have hundreds of drones. Use visual sensors, motion sensors and IR sensors. If the group disperses she drone deploys mini-drones to track each person.

2017-05-17 1:43 PM

User image

Pro

Or minefields. I actually think the way to go is drones. Drone can fly for hours scanning the area when it finds people it locks on to them and tracks them. It radios back to guards who come pick them up. You can have hundreds of drones. Use visual sensors, motion sensors and IR sensors. If the group disperses she drone deploys mini-drones to track each person.

I'm not a fan of mines.....those suckers blow people up years after they're intended use is gone.  Drones is good, but their needs to be shooting.....people hate it if you shoot at them.....they just stay home.

2017-05-17 2:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
, California

Or minefields. I actually think the way to go is drones. Drone can fly for hours scanning the area when it finds people it locks on to them and tracks them. It radios back to guards who come pick them up. You can have hundreds of drones. Use visual sensors, motion sensors and IR sensors. If the group disperses she drone deploys mini-drones to track each person.

I'm not a fan of mines.....those suckers blow people up years after they're intended use is gone.  Drones is good, but their needs to be shooting.....people hate it if you shoot at them.....they just stay home.

Grow a massive hedge maze

2017-05-17 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Awesome idea! And have lot of cerveza stops...and the exit to the maze exits right back into Mexico!!

We could have drone fly over them and spray them with orange paint. The next day they will stick out like a sore thumb and can be picked up in the border towns. J/K

We have a lot of smart and creative people in this country who could come up with all kinds of great ideas.
2017-05-17 3:23 PM

Master
, California

Awesome idea! And have lot of cerveza stops...and the exit to the maze exits right back into Mexico!! We could have drone fly over them and spray them with orange paint. The next day they will stick out like a sore thumb and can be picked up in the border towns. J/K We have a lot of smart and creative people in this country who could come up with all kinds of great ideas.

And we'd have even more after the really smart ones found their way through the maze to the USA.  Haha.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The Wall Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Fearless Girl" statue on Wall Street Pages: 1 2

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1888 Posts: 30

2017-03-17 8:20 AM crowny2