Canada
8C / 46F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 45s
Overall Rank = 156/204
Age Group = 65 - 69
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00am, breakfast, then drive to Kelowna in time to set up in transition. While setting up my gear I realized I had left my best goggles at home. Fortunately, I had a pair of old speedos that I hadn't used since 2013. They were dried out and barely sucked to my face when I tried them so I figured I was going to have issues during the swim.
Event warmup:

The start is an individual start at 15 second intervals and our bib number is also our place in the line-up. It goes faster than it sounds and I was caught off guard by how fast the start went and suddenly it was my turn and I hadn't even wet my goggles but I put them on quickly and jumped in the pool and as soon as I was told to "GO!" I took off.
Swim
  • 17m 47s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

As soon as I started swimming I steadied myself not to start out too fast leading to a blow up. I aimed for the fastest pace I could go and maintain for the entire distance. There were many first timers who hadn't seeded themselves well and were experiencing troubles swimming amongst other faster swimmers. At my first turn at the deep end a lady was clinging to the wall and I presume breathing hard and I saw several others doing the same at the walls. For myself I was feeling quite comfortable and set a good pace that kept me pretty comfortable and I was able to pass a few swimmers as well.
What would you do differently?:

My time wasn't as fast as I should expect based on recent time trials but turns at each end of the pool were a bit difficult and cost me some time. I expected this and practiced but I'll need to practice more and probably push a bit harder.

I was just over a minute faster than last year and I should be able to knock a bit more time off.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I came out of the pool and out of the building and immediately wanted to go back into the pool. It was COLD! and in the shade so quite a shock. I ran carefully to the transition area and got to my bike and changed leaving on my wet tri shorts and top on. The sun helped a bit but it was still quite cool.
I ran (hobbled) to the mount line and got on the bike and got going.

I have room to maybe save another minute here even though I was faster than last year. I need to practice my transitions more seriously.
Bike
  • 51m 8s
  • 22 kms
  • 25.81 km/hr
Comments:

I was really slow on the bike last year and I was determined to ride faster! Unfortunately (or maybe a good thing) I pushed a wrong button on my Garmin and got no data and, of course had no idea how I was doing so I determined to ride as hard as I could.
From the start I was passing people - I NEVER - pass people and I seemed to be riding well. I kept passing people right up to my dismount and felt really good for the whole ride. I did get stuck behind some slower riders at one turn but once I got past them I was accelerating again. For the whole ride I thought I was pushing Zn 3.
I soon finished my 3rd loop and turned in to transition and dismounted at the line and ran into transition.

I was aiming for 28kph but I only rode at 25.8kph. I pushed hard and that was all I managed! Barely 2 minutes faster than the previous year. I'll do better next year.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

This was a fast transition for me. I got the bike racked and I changed quickly. The temp was warming up but perfect and I ran out of transition then needed a quick point in the right direction and I was off.

I can still save some more time here and I will practice my transitions more.
Run
  • 34m 43s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 56s  min/km
Comments:

This is a nice run route and I started out alone. Then I could hear someone running up behind me and I was trying just to keep running and not let them pass. I was surprised to realize they weren't passing me and then I realized it was just my bib number rubbing against my sleeve and I was alone.
I kept going and felt better and faster than last year. I wasn't fast but I was running fast for me. I talked back and forth with other runners and tried to keep up with anyone who passed me. Inevitably, many people passed me but I did keep running and I finally came out of the woods and up to the bridge then I crested the top of the bridge and it was all downhill from here. As I passed a soccer field a whole team of teen soccer players cheered me on "Go 173!!" Only 400m to go and I really appreciated their encouragement. I was going as fast as I could on the downhill and then turned a corner to the finish line and I was finished.

Again I was faster on the run than last year and I felt good at the finish. I still need to be faster than I was.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw all my friends and high 5's all around. High fived a few of the people I had chatted with in passing that finished around me. Walked a bit and had some juice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe I'm just a bit too laid back and I need to be more aggressive but I do enjoy the interaction with the other athletes.

Event comments:

This is a good fun race and a very good race for beginners. I recommend it to anyone to give triathlons a try.

Last updated: 2017-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:47 | 700 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/204
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: 7# 50m lanes out and back then under the lane rope to the next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:08 | 22 kms | 25.81 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops with minor hills and mostly no traffic to worry about.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:43 | 05 kms | 06m 56s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly quiet loop without any traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-05-15 11:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon

2017-05-15 11:18 PM
in reply to: #5220502

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon

Glad you had a good race!

This is a nice run route and I started out alone. Then I could hear someone running up behind me and I was trying just to keep running and not let them pass. I was surprised to realize they weren't passing me and then I realized it was just my bib number rubbing against my sleeve and I was alone.

This made me laugh, haha too funny

2017-05-16 12:34 AM
in reply to: #5220502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a great race -- improvement on each segment's time from last year is a definite win
I also got quite a chuckle out of the rubbing bib!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Blossom Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

SLO Ultra / Wild Cherry Canyon XC HM

Started by MOlsen
Views: 1070 Posts: 2

2016-09-13 7:26 AM jmhpsu93

Pokagon Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Matterhorns
Views: 860 Posts: 1

2016-05-22 5:37 PM Matterhorns