General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backpack with wet and dry compartments? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-05-26 6:08 PM

Subject: Backpack with wet and dry compartments?
I'm looking for a backpack that has separate wet and dry compartments.

I do a swim/run event sometimes after work. Afterward, I have to carry around a mix of wet and dry gear for a while before I get home. I usually just throw my wetsuit and other wet gear into a plastic bag and tie it shut. Then I pack it into my backpack along with my work clothes and I hope it doesn't leak too badly. However, I'd prefer a better system, and I'm ready to invest in a decent gear bag.

A few years ago, someone showed me a gear bag with separate wet and dry compartments. It was designed with a flexible barrier between the two compartments, so that you could fill up the backpack with all dry stuff, or fill it up with all wet stuff, or any mix in-between. I'd like to find something which works like that.

I know nothing about products or brands, so even if a backpack like the one I'm describing is common, I probably wouldn't know about it. I did a search on Amazon and some swim sites before coming here, and most of the stuff they sell is either mass market junk or too poorly described for me to figure out whether it is good or not. Therefore, I would appreciate suggestions from real swimmers with similar needs as mine.

-TC

2017-05-26 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Backpack with wet and dry compartments?
I'm sure there are bags just for swimmers, but triathlon transition bags work very nicely for this purpose. I have one from Blue Seventy that is really well-made. It has pockets for wet gear as well as protective pockets for electronics and even a special loop to hold a bike helmet. The "wet" area can hold a full wetsuit and pair of yucky race shoes. I bought it at a race expo--as I recall, they were also selling a smaller bag intended for swim workouts rather than a full-on triathlon. I've actually traveled six weeks in Europe, mostly on two bike tours (with a shortie wetsuit) with just this bag and a day pack.

If you google "triathlon transition packs" you can find lots of similar products. Reputable brands like TYR and 2XU should also be okay-my experience in this area is you get what you pay for--cheap knock-offs will have issues with seam tears, zippers, etc. There are plenty on the shopping area of the Ironman website as well. My bag from World Championships is from a company called Ogio--not sure where they are based, but the bag is pretty well-designed, and even has a laptop sleeve. Really nice as a carry-on en route to destination races, as well as for busy work days with a swim (or just sweaty) workout involved. If most of your swims involve a wetsuit, the TYR pack has a bit more room for that and I think total capacity is a bit bigger. Both packs have the flexible barrier between wet and dry sections.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/blueseventy-transition-bag-20-32729/

Others on this page such as TYR and Zoot are probably similar.

http://www.ogio.com/backpacks/x-train-2-backpack/spr4710129.html

Similar to my Worlds bag (which was custom-made for the event); has the laptop sleeve.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-05-26 8:19 PM
2017-05-26 11:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Thanks for the advice. Searching for "triathlon transition pack" was the key. I ended up buying the SLS3 backpack, which is a little smaller than your Blueseventy, but I think just right for my needs.
2017-06-12 6:00 PM
in reply to: T.C.

I'm sad to say the SLS3 triathlon backpack didn't cut it. When it arrived, I inspected it carefully and found that the "waterproof" compartment was not sealed against the dry compartment. The barrier between the two compartments was installed in a way that left gaps clearly big enough for water to leak through in the corners. I judged that if I filled the wet compartment with wet stuff, my dry stuff would probably get damp, especially if the backpack were ever put on its side. Upon discovering this flaw, I immediately re-boxed the backpack and returned it to the vendor.

I don't think the waterproofing failure was a manufacturing defect; I think it was a design flaw. The backpack simply wasn't designed in a way to properly isolate the wet and dry compartments.
2017-06-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: T.C.

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still recommend the BlueSeventy. I have not had this problem with it, and racing in the tropics, a lot of wet, disgusting stuff ends up in that compartment!
2017-06-13 3:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Still recommend the BlueSeventy. I have not had this problem with it, and racing in the tropics, a lot of wet, disgusting stuff ends up in that compartment!

Ditto on the BlueSeventy.  I've had this transition bag for probably close to 7 years and it's been great.  Wet compartment doesn't leak into the dry compartment.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Backpack with wet and dry compartments? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Wet Suit debate.....

Started by RGWhite62
Views: 1636 Posts: 7

2017-02-23 4:00 PM lowdon

Discount code for tri wet suit

Started by Bmaltoni
Views: 1343 Posts: 3

2016-12-11 12:12 PM ThomasGerlach ProTri

Wet-suit ??

Started by WalkingRiver
Views: 932 Posts: 2